Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best age to start young shooter

Boolit Man

Best age to start young shooter

I've a single shot Stephens lever action .22 that I cut down the stock on and was thinking about giving to my grandson on his 8th birthday. My wife says that's too young. The rules would include always being supervised by me or his Dad. . . . I grew up on a farm and started shooting young, but don't remember at what age. But that was long long ago and times were very different then. I'd like to know what you all think? . . .
    Thanks . . .

Boolit Master
    My parents started me at 3 yrs old, under some serious supervision of course. I started an ex girlfriends (we were together then) daughter at 5yrs old with a BB gun, and she was doing great by the time she was 7yrs old with her own .22LR. And I have seen people bring their 16yr old kids out to the range that I wouldn't trust with a cap gun, they were that irresponsible and wouldn't listen to any safety instruction. We ended up kicking them off the range for safety violations. I don't think there is a set age where every child is responsible and trustworthy, but rather each is different and it is up to you and your wife as the grandparents and up to the parents (mostly the parents) to decide if the child in question is ready or not. Regardless if y'all decide to do this now, or later, I would suggest starting with a BB gun if possible. What I did with the EXs daughter was teach her basic safety, and then have her demonstrate with an unloaded BB gun. This was the first few days, and she was corrected every time she made a mistake. After a few days of no mistakes, she was given BBs when supervised, and then as time went on, she was taught about the other guns in the house, and allowed to shoot anything she wanted to try as long as she was supervised. By the time she was 8, she was shooting my H&R BC .45-70 with VERY light loads, and off the bench because she wasn't strong enough to hold the gun up by herself. Only you all know when the child is ready, because only you and your family know the specific child in question. And don't worry, whatever y'all decide, you'll be right!
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    I was pheasant hunting before or at age 7 with a 20 gauge over and under and 22's in rifles before that but my Dad was right there making sure safety was of utmost importance. My son is 8 and he has shot a 204 ruger bolt action, 45 Colt lever action, 22 lever action, and a 22 revolver. He has had me and my Dad (Grandpa) there every step of the way stressing the importance of safety, these are not toys and are deadly.

My Dad and I are firm believers that shooting and talking about safety isn't enough but seeing what a firearm can do is what really relates the safety issue. We took my son out prairie dog hunting and him seeing first hand what a firearm does to game puts things into real perspective as to why safety is so important. Treat an unloaded gun the same as a loaded one is an important safety rule among many others in our family.

Boolit Master
    I was about 7, I started my daughters at 7 or 8.
    When they're old enough to pay attention, follow simple instructions and obey the rules.
    Teach them a little at a time until you think they're ready for live fire.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Man
    I was 7 when Mom and Dad got me started I still remember shooting my first squirrel behind the house with a Mom's bolt action 410.
    Retired Smsgt IL ANG 183 FW

Boolit Master

it depends more on the behavior and maturity of the child, could be 4 or maybe 65.

Great timing on this question, I was giving thought of teaching my grandson to shoot. He is eight. I thought of starting with bb then moving up to a nice pellet rifle before the 22. I have some vacation this month, so you've become the catalyst to start this endeavour. ....

Banned

Dad was taking me and my siblings to the range as long as I can remember, can't remember when I started shooting, but was a lot younger than eight.

I got my two shooting BB guns and such when they were very small and I made them where safety glasses and would only let one shoot at a time. Supervision is the key.

I got each of them their own dedicated .22 rifle when they were about eight. Bolt action single shots which sent a lot of rounds down range and which both were interested in and liked to take out and shoot long after they had grown and graduated to other guns.

I'd say take him shooting with it closely supervising him and see what happens. If he's ready to have his own rifle, you'll know pretty quick, if not, then going shooting with it will be something he only gets to do when he visits with grandpa for a year or two until he is ready.

Sounds like you're thinking exactly right and you have some good times ahead with that boy. Congratulations.

I'm A Honcho!
    My son is five and he is tall and strong for his age. He also listens and understands.
    He has been shooting a single six with dads supervision and help for 18 months.
    He gets mad at his mom when she wants him to go with her to town when I go shooting.
    He is a big boy now and wants to go in the mountains with dad is his line he tells his mom.
    I think the age depends on the child for sure.
    I know some adults that I wouldn't let shoot a cap gun!

Boolit Master
    Another thought, I do remember taking the hunter safety course and when it was time to take the test I had to have an instructor read the questions and answer choices because I had not learned to read yet in school.

Banned

"it depends more on the behavior and maturity of the child, could be 4 or maybe 65"

^ This is it. It not a calender deal, it is a child by child deal. Some kids at 5 have old souls and some at ten are not there yet. Dads tend to want to project on their kids. Let it take its course.

Boolit Man
    I had him shooting BB gun last summer . . . Also small bow & arrow outfit . . . He is very proud of accomplishments with both . . . I think we'll continue with BB gun in the yard (We live in town), and go with the .22 at the range. I don't expect to let him shoot either without supervision. . . .

Grandpa started me at age 6. Dad did not own a gun. First I had to give up ALL my toy guns, a big deal in the 50's. I got a BB gun of my own, but Grandpa let me shoot a 22. Safety was paramount and I carried an empty shotgun the first season so everyone could observe my safety. Started my daughter at age 8. She was mostly interested in pistols and was shooting a 45acp by age 10.
    I taught hunter ed for about 20 years. From that, there is not an "age' that's correct. Depends entirely on the maturity of the kid.
    Started a friends 2 grandsons at age 8 & 10 and they drew their first elk hunt this year at age 10 & 12. I think that was too soon for the 10 year old,but they hunted 5 days and were safe. The 12 year old got his first elk so he's hooked for life.
    I do think a BB/pellet gun is a good place to start. Emphasize safety and if the attention drifts, put the guns away.
    YMMV
    PJ
    YMMV

Boolit Master

Every child is different. Some are ready at 5 or before and some are never ready.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I was shooting with my dad and brother when I was 5yrs old. Dad drilled gun safety from day one and that is still the most important thing on any young shooters list. I have a chipmunk rifle that is sized to fit a 5-6yr old shooter and my grandson will be shooting with Papa when he can hold the gun correctly and safely. Ya his mother/my daughter says he's to young I told her he could decide that and WE will not argue about that!
    Charlie

If they are out of diapers, it's time!

Boolit Bub
    ANY age is good to start teaching firearm safety.
    8yo is certainly old enough; (I'm certified 4H Rifle Instructor, and 8yr and up are allowed to learn, train, and shoot (supervised, of course)).

Boolit Buddy
    I don't ever remember not shooting. I know for a fact by the time I was 5 I had my own guns and roamed the woods behind the house with my 410 and a pocket full of shells.

I new dang well what waited for me if I disrepected guns.

On Heaven's Range

We never allowed toy guns in the house.

My daughter was given a Chipmunk .22 rifle when she was about five, and when the neighborhood kids were playing with toy guns, she'd tell them (loftily) that SHE didn't play with toy guns because SHE had a REAL one. This led to several visits from kids to see if the story was true, and it also led to several range excursions for neighborhood youngsters (with parental blessings, of course).

Her very first experience with live fire came at about age three. I took her to the range, got the glasses and muffs on her, and handed her a cocked and UNlocked 1911 .45. I made a point of doing no apparent preparation to the gun at all.

Helping her hold the pistol, I indicated the trigger and said, "Pull that." BLAAM! "Again." BLAAAM! "Again". BLAM! After six rounds, she said, "That's enough, Dad."

The rationale here was to impress upon her the FACT that, when a trigger is pulled, drastic things happen. That's why I used a .45 and not a .22. That's also why I made no visible preparation to the pistol.

As we were leaving the range, she asked "When can we go shooting again, Dad?" Sure did frighten the daylights out of her, didn't I?

Now an adult (just graduated with a BSc from University of Nevada Reno), she lives alone in her own house and has about ten or more guns. She's already spoken for some of my guns, when I no longer need them.
    Last edited by BruceB; 01-06-2015 at 02:11 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    My buddy started his son sitting in the deer stand with him when he was 3. He decided he wanted to hunt so he had to prove that he could handle the gun and not mess a critter. By 5 he could shoot to 200 yards and got his limit every year from 5 to 16, his current age. He has to keep his grades up to shoot and hunt and has been on the honor roll his entire education.

Almost every top notch competitor I've competed with started very young and take excellence as an everyday occurrence because they enjoy what they do. It doesn't matter if it's shooting, baseball, football, darts or playing an instrument. What does the youngin' want to do? It can be a powerful motivator.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast