Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seven years sober!

Vendor Sponsor

Seven years sober!

Today, I almost didn't even think about it, it almost slipped my mind, but we had a little band practice tonite, and me being the old guy having to school some of the younguns, did some digging and some story telling about times when my bar tab averaged 18-22 shots of Beam a night. And some of the stupider things came up, like riding a Harley 170mph on a public right of way, and blowing through red lights at 100+mph, but there were as many good stories and good days as there were stupid. Touring and playing bass in 2000 I drove 45,000 miles in 3mos and played all the shows since I was the only band member that had a valid license, and all that time never got pulled, never put a trailer tire off the road, never hit anybody or anything, and still played good.

It was like I loved to drink so much, that I was extra careful and tried extra hard to do things right so people couldn't throw that at me. I got pretty good at it after a while. Good enough that I was able to keep it up for years and years without really having issues related to or coming from the alcohol. I was a professional functional alcoholic. I made it work. <--- This... I will attribute to letting me pretty much wear out drinking, I had done everything I wanted to do, I had exhausted the subject and THEN some. Because of that, when I did eventually get a DUI in 2008, it made it easy for me to quit. There wasn't anything left anymore that made it fun, and I had become what they call a maintenance alcoholic, one who drinks not to get drunk, but to maintain. It was a day in and day out habit.

When I got my DUI, I got out of jail the next morning, I went back to my vehicle still sitting on the side of the road. There was a 6pk in there, and I simply slid the side door open (van) and tossed them into the ditch. At that moment, I *knew* I was done. And because I had wondered even, for years, what would make me quit, I *knew* there would come a day, that I would see the reason why and I would know, it was time.

I don't think I would have had the sense to quit, had I not completely beat that horse to death, I think it would still have held some temptation here and there to drink, but because I was SO thorough in totally exhausting my habit, all I had to do, was make the decision, and be sure I was going to stick with it. It would have been much harder had things forced me to quit earlier, I am not sure I would have been successful. I was lucky beyond belief that nothing really bad happened to me, or to somebody else, in those whiskey years. I look back on some of the things I did, and shake my head. It's anybody's wonder why I am still here.

To anyone who wants to quit, I say the will is within you. It will be much more effective if YOU can find the will on your own, instead of it being forced on you by the courts or by other reasons beyond your control. A lot of people don't get this luxury, a lot aren't quite so lucky, and if you feel like are holding a decent hand and life hasn't dealt you Aces and Eights, and you feel like you can do it, put your money on YOU winning this, throw the cards on the table and call. You have everything to gain, and nothing can hold you back once you are committed to the win.

I don't know if this will be a help to anyone or not. It was kinda hard to write the farther along it got. It was something I had to do on my own, I never was a friend of Bill, and I never walked the twelve steps. Bless those that do. This was my rite of passage. This worked for me. This is how I became sober, 7yrs ago today.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-04-2015 at 02:44 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    congratulations on seven years... it's a heck of an accomplishment.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Banned

Good for you. People have to bottom out, it seems to move on. Hope this helps someone make the first big step.

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats, DougGuy. Can only imagine what this means to you. I've seen firsthand the tragedy and carnage that DUI's cause and I'm glad you saw the handwriting on the wall, some folks never do. Some never will.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Congrats!! That is really great that you've stayed sober. Here's to many more years of sobriety!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you were able to beat the addiction and move on. Seen so much wreckage alcohol and drugs have caused.
    Takes a real man to write what you did and hope it inspires others to follow your advice.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations!!! That is very good of you and hopefully it will help others overcome a hurdle.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Master
    One day @ a time, on foot in front of the other. That's how I did it, when I quit drinking. I haven't made it 7 years yet, but I will. I can remember thinking "I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I WILL NOT have a drink today." The knowledge that if I continued to drink I would either end up in prison or dead actually made it an easier decision for me. Not sure why it took me as long as it did to realize the truth, but once it sunk it, it wasn't as hard the final time as the others to quit.

You will help more people than you know, and CONGRATS on the 7 years. Treat yourself to some coffee and pie!!!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

COngratulations on your seven years.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Buddy

Congratulations on 7 years!! Well done!

BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master
    Congratulations!! I did the same thing with smoking. We (the misses and I) where at the doctors office and I said can you figure out what is wrong with her doc. Yup ok what? Take a seat son. You guys are going to be parents. I grabbed our smokes and they hit the can rite there in the doctors office. I have not had one since. That was 15 years ago. So now that I shared my story I would like to say this. Its not always a rock bottom issue but as DougGuy said the will is in you. My wish for the best for my coming child was enough for me. I had been a 2-3 pack a day guy for 8 years.

Keep up the good work DougGuy. And keep them youngsters in check too.

Cast Hunter

Congrats and keep it up!
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Congrats on the time Sober, great story also.
    I agree on the will to quit being there and needing to find it within.

I started Drinking & Doping in 1968. My share and enough for half a dozen others till July 2nd 2003 decieded my Wife and Life were more importent then the high. 11 years, 6 months 2 days Sober and my 60th Birthday..

Again Good job for you.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

Boolit Master

"It's anybody's wonder why I am still here."

No wonder at all Doug. A man named David wrote about this long ago. We can read it in the book of Psalms, #139, right in the middle of the Bible. Take a look! And congratulations for finding your way to this point. God has big plans for you! Discover what that purpose is!

To everything there is a season, sometimes the blessing is surviving our season of young and stupid. Congratulations on this new season of your life. May its blessings and joys be as rich to savor as those of wilder times.

Boolit Master
    Congrats, DougGuy, that is an awesome accomplishment! I pray that the Lord will give you strength and help you continue to want to stay sober.

Boolit Master

Doug, just wish I had the chance to put my one hand on your shoulder and give you a handshake with the other!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Congratulations on the 7 years and getting the monkey off your back. I got the monkey off my back 12 years ago, stopped cold, I was drinking 3 bottles of vodka a week and smoking 3 packs a day, stopped 1 one day the other the next. Have never felt better about myself.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Congradulations!!!!!!
    Every shot you get in life counts

Awesome! Gives me something to work toward. Today marks 6 months for me. One day at a time...
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.