RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Best way to field dress a small hog or a huge hog?

Boolit Man

Best way to field dress a small hog or a huge hog?

I've been asked to shoot hogs on a farm. I can butcher deer, elk, and cattle. I have never cut open or
    cut up a pig. What's the best way out in the field?

Boolit Buddy
    I used to clean & gut them to get the ribs and tenderloins from the inside. After cleaning out several hundred, I grew tired of that. Now we take the shoulders, hams, & backstrap and feed the coyotes with the rest.

It's much simpler, quicker and easier to haul out. There just isn't enough tenderloin to warrant the amount of work it takes to get to it. As for ribs, maybe, maybe not, depending on the mood I'm in at the time.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Banned

I treat them just like a deer and bone out all the meat. like possum the ribs ect were tossed.

Boolit Buddy
    You might be interested in reading this to
    http://www.cdc.gov/brucellosis/pdf/b...hoghunters.pdf

Moderator Emeritus

oldsagerat, We trap and sell and butcher a lot of wild hogs....we hang them with their heads down and process from the rear end down....when we get to the head we put a bucket underneath it and find the disc between two vertabres and start cutting and then twist and the head fall in. Then we gut the animal and finally cut the legs off. The hardest thing is the skinning...the hide is very thick and it will wear your hands out trying to pull....have been swearing that I am going to go to Cabelas and buy a pair of those tongs they have that will grip the hide....hope this helps....Happy New Year and good eatin'!
    Last edited by buckwheatpaul; 01-01-2015 at 01:10 PM.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Were gloves! 90% of meat is in the straps and legs. If you hoist them up and skin while still warm it is much easier. Take the back straps and legs and you don't have to worry about opening them up. Save a massive amount of time and very little waste on a small hog. Be finished in about 20 minutes. Soak the meat in salt water in the fridge for a few days and you have some great meat.

Vendor Sponsor

Good to know! That's what my deer harvesting has grown into, don't even field dress anymore. Lay on one side, debone hindquarter, take strap and shoulder, flip over do the same. Meat is headed to the freezer while it is still warm most times.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    We trap and sell and butcher a lot of wild hogs....we hang them with their heads down and process from the rear end down....when we get to the head we put a bucket underneath it and find the disc between two vertebrates and start cutting and then twist and the head fall in. Then we gut the animal and finally cut the legs off.
    This.
    Unless it was blistering hot, I wouldn't field dress at all, I'd haul them some where I could hang them and process them there.
    I carry a rope and gambrel in the truck, and if I am far from camp when I kill something, I often hang it from a tree limb and clean it right there.

Moderator Emeritus

To add to my previous post....be sure to wear gloves as posted in another post.....we completely field dress....wont give up the tender loins and eventhough there isnt a lot of meat on the ribs we have a very good rub and cook.....fanger likin' gooood!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Banned

remember cussing the first time I skinned one!!!!!!!!! aint no whitetail
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    oldsagerat, We trap and sell and butcher a lot of wild hogs....we hang them with their heads down and process from the rear end down....when we get to the head we put a bucket underneath it and find the disc between two vertabres and start cutting and then twist and the head fall in. Then we gut the animal and finally cut the legs off. The hardest thing is the skinning...the hide is very thick and it will wear your hands out trying to pull....have been swearing that I am going to go to Cabelas and buy a pair of those tongs they have that will grip the hide....hope this helps....Happy New Year and good eatin'!

Boolit Master

I have found for my own use is to hang the hog up by the snout,take a box blade knife and set the blade about 5/16 to 3/8 inch exposedt.Strip the hog from every where you can get a 1 1/2 to 2 inch strip then take fish skinning pliers and pull the hide off.I have never tried to save a hog hide for any thing except when we use to scrape and processed the hide for cracklins or leaving the hide on hams etc.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned

Thanks for all the great advice. Hog hunting is on the bucket list at the top. Got a nephew who has invited me to go. All this info will come in very handy.

Boolit Man
    I hang them from the neck and then gut them, easy to make every thing come out and split their pelvis without getting any urine and fecal matter on the meat.
    KW
    Lifetime Reloader
    Veteran
    NRA- Benefactor

Boolit Buddy
    I butcher pigs on the ground. Split the hide down the back, then peel it back. Take the shoulders and tenderloins (backstrap). Rear shoulders get deboned. Front shoulder blade is the only bone I bring home. It's quick, avoids the internals and doesn't waste much. Definitely wear gloves.

New guy here. Just sitting at ranch house eating supper after an evening hunt. Killed three boars last night with 10mm. Years ago we begin cleaning sows with RaptorRazor. Now the only way. https://youtu.be/_DgbtPDHIUw

Can be used on deer as well, but I still hang it. Howdy!

Boolit Master
    here in NZ we have been catching and eating pigs since.....well about the Time old Adam got his first set of spurs and jumped on a horse....
    singeing is a good way to get your crackling,basically you use a lpg blow torch and burn off all the hair and scrape the skin..it gets rid of any livce at same time and keeps roasts moist when cooking.
    best eating is a sow under 100lb or a boar under 80lb...dont get me wrong I will eat boars up to 140-180 lb....thats big mature pig over here getting one over 200lb is milestone many never achieve.

mate bones out all his pigs,reduces weight by 60%...you only take out the 40% you are going to eat.

if you skin smaller pigs hung up,try to leave as much fat on as you can...will keep it moister when cooking... boars have tough sheild over shoulder area,dont be afraid to cut it into strips to get it off.

roast pork is sometimes a little dry...apple sauce helps no end..apple baby food is similar stuff,basically cooked up peeled apple with a bit of sugar added and mashed up. put some on side of plate t oadd to pork as you eating it, like cranberry sauce with turkey.