Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: PC'd boolits in Micro Groove

PC'd boolits in Micro Groove

Has anybody shot any powder coated boolits in a Micro Groove with success? I would love to hear that we have exorcised the demon in Marlin barrels. I have turned down some good deals in Marlin Micro Groove guns because of past experiences.
    Murf

Boolit Man
    murf205

Here you go, the straight skinny. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=210768

My experience with powder coating is nothing less than great in revolvers and autos.

Bill

What demons? If the boolit fits the barrel, micro groove included, no problems.

Boolit Man
    I shoot them in my 30-30, 32 SP and 35 Rem with no problems. I only shoot out to 100 yards though.

Attachment 125949
    A test I did couple years ago, RD PB boolit from a 336 @ 50. Sized 311.
    Attachment 125952
    Not hot loads, but it works. EDIT: those on the center are sans GC.
    Evidence that the PB needs to be coated. ESPC HF red. That RD LEE 6x mould didn't drop very good bases. I'm over 1900 in regular grooves, PB, in different rifles but they're not lever guns. I've learned a lot since those tests.
    Last edited by popper; 01-01-2015 at 12:28 PM.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by WMB30 View Post
    murf205

Here you go, the straight skinny. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=210768

My experience with powder coating is nothing less than great in revolvers and autos.

Bill
    Well I guess it's safe to say that it improved the accuracy of that particular Marlin. Looks like I have to launch a search for an oven. This ought to be an interesting project. Thanks Bill.
    Murf205

Boolit Master
    My Marlin rifles shoot boolits wonderfully, then again, I choose Ballard rifling models. But, I see your point regarding getting a good deal on a micro-groove. PC is the real deal for simplicity and clean shooting. I can not attest to improved or even equal accuracy, since all of my shooting is off hand and at larger targets. The gloss finish PC paints seem better or tougher than the matt and our member Smoke seems to be the provider of well tested boolit friendly powder paints.

prs
    Last edited by prs; 01-01-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Murf - that rifle did a cloverleaf at 100, shot by SIL with Hornady factory FTX. I just don't shoot it very well, recoil/flinch problems - that's what 72 yrs will do to you.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I've had good results with a 30AS and an 1894 .357. Next step will be to increase velocity, but it will have to warm up for that. Best results with .310 and .359-360 diameters.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Murf - that rifle did a cloverleaf at 100, shot by SIL with Hornady factory FTX. I just don't shoot it very well, recoil/flinch problems - that's what 72 yrs will do to you.
    Popper, I'm right behind you by 5yrs and I can tell you now that the only thing that gets stronger with age is cheese! I have a 7 1/2 lb .358 Norma and I sure don't shoot it as well as I do a .223.

Murf - it's a pre-remlin 336 I got about 5 yrs ago at Dick's S.G. for $300 - with scope & rings, my first rifle.
    Whatever!

What a deal. Guns have certainly gone up in price in the last 5 yrs--more so than ever before. Every time some deranged idiot commits a terrible act, the paranoia sets in and here we go all over again,

Microgroove barrels shoot cast as well as any other bullet, so long as the bullet fits the barrel, the alloy is hard enough, and your bullet is gas checked.
    PC may or not make any difference, though I can't tell it from any experience from me or my family with 45-70 or 30-30.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion