Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Decided to torture test some 9mm ESPC boolits

Boolit Buddy

Decided to torture test some 9mm ESPC boolits

So over the last 2 days I've struggled to make ESPC fail in a 9mm...I glad to report I couldnt.

test 1: shoot over sized bullets. I sized bullets to .358 to .3575. These were loaded to max published data for win 231 and a know load yielding 1300fps out of a 4.5" barrel using HS6 and fired thru a buddy's test barrel. Bullets were fired into h2o and against ar500 plate. BH of the alloy was 12 after cast and before PC applied. Bullets were cast 2 weeks ago. Colors used - RAL Orange and dark blue (like smoke sells), HF matte black and red.

result: flat primers, over pressure very obvious...serious potential to turn your pistol into a bomb....boolits recovered from h20 showed excellent adhesion. Even the boolits that shattered against the ar500 had PC still adhering! Bore cleaned with 10 brush strokes, a patch of shooters choice x2 for 10 strokes then dry patch....NO LEADING, NO PC residue.

test 2: since test 1 was shot slowly thru a bolt action. We used my sten for the second test. These boolits were sized .356 and loaded with 5.2 and 5.4gr of win231. The point of this test was see if I could get the barrel heat to cause PC to fail. We loaded 10 mags (300 rounds - I never load em to 32) for each powder weight. Rounds were fired as fast as I could dump them on full auto. 2 jams - about typical with my sten shooting jacketed ammo.

Oil burning on the sten before we finished. And I was using an oven mitt and a welding glove to hold the barrel shroud....glad I never had to carry one of these beasts in a gunfight!

result. Same cleaning procedure...not quite clean so repeated the same procedure once more and had success....no leading, no PC residue that didn't come out like carbon or powder fouling.

the limitation of the full auto test could be that since the sten is an open bolt gun, the loaded round didn't get bake in the chamber like it would in a closed bolt gun...granted I've had lacquered steel cases ammo gum up the chamber when the gun wasn't as hot so you can take it however you would like...I was impressed.

test 3 - glock 34 kkm barrel accuracy test offhand - PC vs jacketed load.
    Same win231 loads as above. 25 yards, overcast, failing eyes. 15yo bugging me, Airedale puppy trying to get himself shot or at least frag'd with bullet splatter.

Result: no difference 1.5" average for 10 5 round strings of each load. Gun prefers 5.2gr load over 5.4 gr load which is exactly the same as when I shoot the same bullet but tumble lubed....except NO SMOKE!

Summary: ESPC kicks butt. When my parents head home from the holidays, I'm giving my mom a gallon of mule snot to wrap up for dads 70th bday in Feb. I won't be needing it!
    Last edited by RP; 12-29-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: avoiding lang filter
    Smooth is Fast