WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Ah Hah!

Boolit Buddy

Ah Hah!

I finally got some HF powder for Christmas. I'd been experimenting by swaging bullets I'd cast for 45 ACP and came up with a hollow based round nose with the one grease groove nearly removed. I got a spray gun as well but it's cold and wet outside and I don't have a compressor yet so I tried the tumble method. First, lacking acetone, I cleaned 25 bullets with alcohol, put them in a cool whip bowl with some air soft BB's and a couple of teaspoons of HF Red and vibrated then rolled them around by hand for a few minutes and cooked at 400 degrees for 10 minutes on crumpled foil. I did this twice. Oh, before cleaning, I reduced them all to about .4505 (my Corbin .451 reducer shrinks lead a bit more because it is designed to compensate for springback of copper jackets. After the second coat, I reduced them again, then bumped them back up to .4525 in my round nose point former. What I ended up with is a perfectly shiny and very slippery bullet. The only inconsistencies I notice is weight varies 1 to 11/2 grains and an occasional area on some of them is darker where the paint might not be as thick but these areas are still protected and shiny. The swage steps really dress them up and give precise dimensional control. It should be even better with the spray gun! I will eventually figure out how to post pictures on this site. Those of you who have swaging equipment should give this a try.

I'd like to see some pictures. It sounds like a great technique! Almost completely controllable dimension wise! How do they shoot?

Boolit Master
    Try a batch without the cleaning. Unless you've gotten some contaminant on them, they should be just fine.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still trying to post a picture on this site but there seems to be something I'm missing (like computer skills). I haven't got to shoot them yet. I'm expecting them to be more accurate than I'm capable of though! They shoot very well with plain old Corbin dip lube on them. Perhaps I'll compare them both ways for accuracy and difference in velocity, if any, with my chrono when I get the chance, which should be soon, when the weather lets up and honey do's are done. Unfortunately, I have to clean them because of the swage lube.

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 125675Here they are. Don't know if Ill manage to remember how I did this! As soon as it get's above zero, I'll shoot em!

Boolit Master
    Hi fellows.
    I'm new to the powder coating process, actually just reading & trying to learn.
    Do you buy the powder at hardware stores, tumbling in a Cool Whip tub coats the bullets with PC, how many air soft BBs do you need, & you bake the coated bullets in an over @ 400 degrees for 10 min? What keeps the powder coating on the base of the bullet when you stand them on a tray?

Thanks I'm trying to learn the process before I just jump in & foul everything up. I've been casting, lubrisizing bullets for over 40 years, but this is really new to me, & kind of interesting.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	125776You can usually find the powder on line from Harbor Freight, Powder By The Pound and from a couple of guys on this site. I've just jumped in myself but reading the posts here inspired me to try crumpling up some foil then flattening it out before putting bullets on it and that worked very well with my hollow bases. They are completely coated and only a few stuck to the foil. 10 minutes with the oven on, then turn off or unplug, open the door and allow to cool (some drop in water). I did 2 coats on bullets reduced to .4505, reduced again and then bumped back up to .4525 in a point forming swage die, which works good if you have one but probably isn't necessary. I just work with what I happen to have. It would be just as easy and much cheaper to get a Lee push through bullet sizer for whatever caliber you are making.
    Last edited by Wolftracker; 12-30-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The hollow base bullets shot very well and accurately, with nothing other than gun powder residue left in my barrel. I made a couple of different designs and coated them, mixing some other colors and got a mottled reddish brown. Another thing I tried was swirling the coolwhip bowl on top of a small piece of carpet. This greatly improved the powder coat and speeded it up considerably as well.

Boolit Master

this can be addicting as casting itself
    good job by the way
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    This does sound interesting & not too time consuming.
    Some on a different thread suggest getting a portable baking oven & not using the cooking oven????

Yes, only cook PC away from your living space. Only use your portable oven for lead work after, no food.

Boolit Buddy
    I cook the bullets in an old toaster oven I picked up at Goodwill for $5, in my un-attached garage with a fan behind it, blowing fumes outside. I also wear a dust mask when handling the powder. This is important, whether you have healthy lungs or not. Breathing, I have found, is not an optional activity!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolftracker View Post
    Another thing I tried was swirling the coolwhip bowl on top of a small piece of carpet. This greatly improved the powder coat and speeded it up considerably as well.
    Great idea!
    Just like dragging your feet across carpet, must create a decent charge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolftracker View Post
    I cook the bullets in an old toaster oven I picked up at Goodwill for $5, in my un-attached garage with a fan behind it, blowing fumes outside. I also wear a dust mask when handling the powder. This is important, whether you have healthy lungs or not. Breathing, I have found, is not an optional activity!

I like that you are right precautions are smart.