Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brass catcher home made

brass catcher home made

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass catcher 1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	125171This works pretty good had to bend it some to make it work. any way it does work about 85 to 90 %

Went - finger off the trigger!

I shoot a lot from a bench, so I made this from two inexpensive window screens. They are hinged at the top, and fold flat for transport. A towel underneath keeps the screens from spreading too far (as would a string). Towel also keeps the bench from getting too hot, and keeps brass from bouncing. Cheap and easy.

Name:	Brass Catcher.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	125175

Boolit Master
    dudel I like that idea a lot. Thanks for posting. Went2kck, yours is cool too for a standing up handgun idea.

Has anyone else ever started paying too much attention to their brass and not enough to making sure you shoot straight?

I have that problem sometimes.

The hoops are made from 1/4 inch electrical fish tape. Netting is a laundry bag from dollar store. Frame is 3/4 and 1/2 inch riveted together. Hope is held with bolts and these long nut things cut at a 45 and welded together. then drilled through the side to hold the hoops.

Boolit Bub
    I made this one for about 25 cents. I bought a yard of utility mesh from the fabric store and strung a wire coat hanger though the loops of the mesh. It is simply held between my hand and the grip of the pistol. My p11 ejects anywhere between straight up and straight to the side, so I made it bend over the top too. It doesn't hold much weight, but I just empty it when reloading.

Name:	1509280_10204253764457223_5541538819874320305_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	125212

Boolit Master
    I would like to try dudel's idea with perhaps a screen through part of the front of it as well. My M1A likes to throw brass forward a bit.

I have had my 1911 throw brass straight up, straight out to the side, out to the side but towards the rear and I have had brass hit me in the forehead. I like Cerd's idea.

Boolit Bub
    I was thinking of making some bench brass catchers out of that same mesh, but using PVC as the frame and leaving it at the sportsman's club for everyone to use, too. It'll probably cost me $15 in materials to make 10 or so.

Boolit Master
    I made a simular catcher for my semi auto pistols(45 ACP) 1/2 plactic pipe and a dollar store mesh laundry bag I call it "Papillion" butterfly

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one about 10 years ago that looks like those and it works great. I think you guys are building better ones than what I bought!

Boolit Master
    I just have my 8yr old police the brass, she does a great job, never misses any.

Boolit Master
    "Cost is no object as long as it's cheap"

I was looking into about to buy one early this year but for all it cost and all for my handgun and rifle I did not want to spend the money on it for how high it was. Now you guys got me thinking of make one myself and if you do not mind me use some of your ideas for it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Bub
    Looks like a butterfly net!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    "Cost is no object as long as it's cheap"
    +1 on that

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    I just have my 8yr old police the brass, she does a great job, never misses any.
    With the cost of raising kids today Id say that's the most expensive option

Boolit Master
    mines the cheapest of all...when i'm done shooting ....i just sweep them in a pile and pick up with a dust pan.

Setup your bench inside one of these and blast away! At least your brass will all be contained in a small area. You could put a tarp down first too. And you'll have some shade! And a little bug protection as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Trapper, I wouldn't mind at all. If I wanted to keep it for myself, I wouldn't have shared it.

Mozeppa, the club has a little brass pickup roller that works slick, but that doesn't help when you are out target shootig in a buddy's field.

Rondog, thats a nice idea, but too bulky for a range bag and I would hate to shoot a hole through one of those.

Boolit Bub
    I finally got to try my homemade brass catcher and I have some work to do. It only caught about 50% of my brass, but it at least knocked them down right away to where I could find almost all of them just beneath me. When I make the next one, I will make it form closer to the chamber so it has a better chance to catch them. I also need to make it curve back down on the left side since I had a few this weekend that somehow shot left. How is beyond me, but I will make it curve almost completely around so it catches EVERYTHING. I think I will also end up taking Went2kck's idea of an arm mount. the small wire of the coat hanger made it difficult to hold parallel to the slide.