WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Still having issue with 9.3x62 seating

Boolit Buddy

Still having issue with 9.3x62 seating

New mold from Veral Smith. 250 gr LFN, casts to 252-254 gr with WW. Unsized = .371". With Gator Checks and BuffaloArms Lyman sizer cut to .366", I'm getting .3675" to .368". Took a throating reamer to my chamber and am still having an issue getting loaded dummy round to chamber fully. I don't want to take too much out of the throat. I'm thinking that the .3675" to .368" diameter is having an issue getting past the leade to the throat. I'm able to fully chamber the dummy round but I'm seeing marks on the bullet a full .19" of the bearing surface. Wondering if I buy a Lyman .363" size die and invert the bullet to size down to the first lube groove.

Opinions?

Alan
    Last edited by GSSP; 12-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your suggested resolution sounds like one valid route to take toward easier chambering, if you are able to run the bullet into the H&I die straight. I have accomplished this by using top punch #374 in my Lyman 4500 to self-center the "reversed" bullet base for nose or front drive band sizing.

My related questions......is this .19" engravement onto the bullet sidewall by the leade/lands causing the bullet to be seated more deeply during chambering? Or, is this engravement causing the cartridge to be "de-bulleted" when an attempt is made to extract an unfired round? I rather like having some slight interference fit into the leade with my cast bullets in my rifles--though I prefer about .020"-.035" of leade clearance with my jacketed bullets.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

What's wrong with seating the bullet so that the first lube grove is in the neck? Are you seating the bullet out to touch the lands? I would try it seated deeper and only go further if accuracy was poor.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I'm wondering if the nose portion of the bullet is a bit large for the leade. J bullets for the 9.3x62 taper fairly quickly from the straight section. I had a similar problem with a LFN in a 38-55.

I shoot an LBT LFN 270 grain bullet in my Ruger No. 1 9.3x74R with no problems at all. The bullets drop at 0.369" and I size them to 0.368" and lube with LBT Soft Blue and seat Gator gas checks. These bullets chamber easily, and shoot sub MOA at 1800 fps. They can be easily pushed to 2250 fps with excellent accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    Per Veral's suggestion, I bought a Lyman .363" sizer die. It arrived yesterday and i'm able to size the 1st driving band to .364". The loaded dummy rounds now fits perfectly. I shot a few on Saturday and with a starting load (Hodgdon) for the 250 Accubond, 52 gr of Varget was getting 2263 fps with zero leading. Horrible accuracy but it's a start.

Alan