RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: H&R Production Over

Boolit Master
    Hey, it is call early adopter risk. You buy some new product don't expect support if it flops. The company faces some risk, if the put out one flop after another then their new product releases may face a skeptical consumer.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    I have a 6.5RM. I'd be embarrased to think remington owed me brass for a rifle sold 45 years ago.

for that matter, I'd be embarrassed to think they owed anything to anyone.
    Well , I guess they Owe about 7 million triggers to somebody out there then for all the model 700s floating around ....And they made a version of the 6.5 Mag in 2004 ....
    Last edited by butch2570; 01-04-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

6.5 and 8mm mag are such low production. You can't get any 35 Remington which sold millions. Why do you expect to be able to buy others that were failures? Want to shoot an oddball cartridge? Then you better buy components when it first comes out because there is no telling how long it will last.

Boolit Master
    Could it be that the accessory barrel program is unprofitable because it involves receiving and returning lots of low value people at different locations. Lot of manpower for returns.

Best solution would be to modify design or upgrade production equipment so barrels would not need to be fitted. That way they could be supplied through normal retail channels. Of course that might require up front $$ something that Marlin might not have been able to afford but bigger Remington thought it might.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    6.5 and 8mm mag are such low production. You can't get any 35 Remington which sold millions. Why do you expect to be able to buy others that were failures? Want to shoot an oddball cartridge? Then you better buy components when it first comes out because there is no telling how long it will last.
    'You can't get 35 Rem which sold millions'... My Point Exactly.. Rem design and now very little support for it , and it is on the verge of obscurity, even with "Millions Sold", would already have been if not for Marlin 336 (Pre- Remington ) and T/C Barrels. May be if REM cut some of the production back on the 223 ammo, which if you check gunbot right now, it's listed by the hundreds and pallets full,they could actually make some other runs of ammo for the customers who bought some other Rem ill thought out and conceived ideas. Uphold them all you want.. I'm not sure what constitutes a failure either, is 300,000 rifles a failure, a million? is " MILLIONS" a failure? There has only been roughly 7.5 million 700 Rem produced and that's their most popular production rifle, with probably the 30-06 as THE most popular chambering, so I have to wonder about what REM considers a success and whether or not they will support it after it's hit the market. And if there was only one run a year made on the venerable 30-06 ammo, and brass was not readily available for it, then even it would lag in sales and fall to the wayside. People won't buy much of something if they can't get supplies for it.
    Last edited by butch2570; 12-27-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of cartridges have always been seasonal runs. This is never going to change. There are also other manufacturers of ammo. They all want to make money. If Remington drops production and ATK sees a profit in it then they will start production. Problem is that there is apparently no profit in it. 35 Remington will sell out very fast. The cartridges you listed will sit on the shelf. If they were running the annual runs then this would be noticeable.

I'm not defending their decision to not make ammo anymore. But cartridges come and go. It's gotten worse as the years have progressed because there is always something new. Like I said, if you shoot an oddball buy components when they're first releases. Because there is no telling if it's going to be a hit or miss.

Boolit Master

I think butch2570 has a point. Marketing folks often have no clue about their customers, but think they do because they took a few classes.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    I think butch2570 has a point. Marketing folks often have no clue about their customers, but think they do because they took a few classes.

I'd suggest that Remington and all the other ammo makers have far, far more of a clue about current demand than anyone on this board, especially those who are whining the loudest.

Y'all may have forgotten, but we're 2 years into the biggest panic-buying spree in American gun history. EVERYONE has shifted production to high-volume big-sellers. I fully expect availability of more obscure things to return soon - within the next 2 years - but if I ran Remington you're insane if you think I'd tool up to make a run of 8mm Remington magnum brass while there were people darned near fighting in the aisles over .223 and .22lr......unless people were willing to pay so much for those low-demand calibers that it was more profitable to do so. Reality is that very few people are willing to pay such ultra-premium prices for oddball brass. Fortunately, the worst of the panic seems to be over and things are normalizing again.

For the man willing to learn, the shooting world has had some object lessons in economics for the last couple of years. It's hard to learn when you're busy whining, though, so I expect the whiners to continue whining.

Boolit Grand Master

It has nothing to do w/ marketing. It has everything to do w/ the accounting department. Profit is in the high volume sellers. 22lr doesn't play into this because they're run on completely different machines. They want to make a profit. Who knows if they make any profit on any of the oddball calibers. It's probably thin and they're doing it as a service to their customers.

The machines have to be running to make money. The less time they spend switching them over to different cartridges the more money they make. Pretty simple economics.

I'd suggest that Remington and all the other ammo makers have far, far more of a clue about current demand than anyone on this board, especially those who are whining the loudest.

Y'all may have forgotten, but we're 2 years into the biggest panic-buying spree in American gun history. EVERYONE has shifted production to high-volume big-sellers. I fully expect availability of more obscure things to return soon - within the next 2 years - but if I ran Remington you're insane if you think I'd tool up to make a run of 8mm Remington magnum brass while there were people darned near fighting in the aisles over .223 and .22lr......unless people were willing to pay so much for those low-demand calibers that it was more profitable to do so. Reality is that very few people are willing to pay such ultra-premium prices for oddball brass. Fortunately, the worst of the panic seems to be over and things are normalizing again.

For the man willing to learn, the shooting world has had some object lessons in economics for the last couple of years. It's hard to learn when you're busy whining, though, so I expect the whiners to continue whining.
    C Latch: I think Remington has done this same repeated scenario over and over again through the years, this is not something they just started post Sandy Hook. The 8 mm mag was totally dropped 3-4 years ago well before "the biggest panic-buying spree in american gun history" and was just one instance of many I was referring too . And not only that but I was done with my opinions on this thread, Until you sir, started slinging mud like a child because someone else had a view differing from yours.
    Last edited by butch2570; 12-29-2014 at 05:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    it really boggles my mind why people inject "sir" into their schtick.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    it really boggles my mind why people inject "sir" into their schtick.
    It boggles my mind how many gun owners don't understand economics. They don't understand politics or liberty, either, but merely understanding economics would be a nice first step.

It boggles my mind how many gun owners don't understand economics. They don't understand politics or liberty, either, but merely understanding economics would be a nice first step.
    I understand economics just fine, that's why I don't buy new or declining calibers any longer , they offer nothing over what we already have. I also have sold and auctioned off all the these rounds that are fast becoming obsolete, the only 4 I have kept are my (3) 222 rem, which I have loads of brass for ,and 223 brass to boot if I would ever have to reform, and the 6 mm which I have enough brass to burn a few barrels out with. I'm glad you ( in all your self righteousness have all these understandings under control), can come here and teach the rest of us that don't understand anything, something.

Reminds me of my motto for Wal-Mart. "If we don't have it, you don't need it." Makes sense to management and stock holders. Makes opportunity for niche marketers - see the S and S forum for some examples.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Tell me what Rem marketing was thinking when they brainstormed the Etronx idea, a gun with a battery. Oh I forgot they have far, far more a clue to marketing and demand than the consumers do. I guess they needed to sell alot of 223 ammo to cover the cost of that flub also..
    Last edited by butch2570; 12-29-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drinks View Post
    It appears Rossi is about all that is left in affordable ss rifles and shotguns.
    Sure just send it back in 12 times to get it to work.

Boolit Master
    This thread has really gone left.The market will dictate the future of the Handi rifle. There are still plenty on the secondary market if production stops.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    That Etronx ammo ( 1 Box) was the first box of .220 Swift I got in my price range last summer. Yes I altered it to be standard ammo. and yes its not my first year of reloading. Any thing can change.

Boolit Master
    I heard that H&R will becoming out with a new model in 2016. If it is a model that can switch barrels off the rack they will wipe the floor with their competitors.

Boolit Bub
    If there is any truth to that rumor that could explain a lot.

The "halt in production" could be an alotted period to let current stock sell out while they retool.

The end of the accessory barrel program may also be a way to lead into the new models. It's possible they could be refusing to accept receivers for new barrels if they are tooling up for a new barrel design for a new receiver design. If they plan to offer a universal barrel system for a new receiver design then there would be no need for the barrel accessory program.

Of course this is all just conjecture and with Remington at the helm, I will believe it when I see it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast