Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Master
    Loaded another 100 350 Legend with MP 38-200 penta hollowpoints. I hope to get to the range this week and try them at 100 and 200 yards. I'm deep in brass now but will have to get more powder soon. "It's always something."
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

South Central Alaska. on the north gulf coast
    Well got 30 test rounds ready to test fire for tomorrow. 10mm arsenal 40-165 WFN cast with cww +3% tin. Sized to.402. moly grease 50% beeswax. HS-6 and AA #9. We’ll see Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5359F57E-A21B-4356-960D-C6404DF8D5BD.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	301478

Boolit Master
    Got the 223 upper cycling. The upper parts were tighter than my 350L and the bolt carrier group would stick in the buffer tube. I filed the buffer tube locking plate flat and use a new nut and it cycles well now. Got it packed with the 350 for a trip to the range.

And another 100 350L rounds loaded.
    Mal

Boolit Grand Master

I don't remember if I posted this or not but last week I spilled several cigar boxes of cast, sized and lubed bullets while moving them from the garage to my new loading room. Today I finished sorting and reboxing them. I only culled about a dozen from being damaged or gritty.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I don't remember if I posted this or not but last week I spilled several cigar boxes of cast, sized and lubed bullets while moving them from the garage to my new loading room. Today I finished sorting and reboxing them. I only culled about a dozen from being damaged or gritty.
    You're having way too much fun. How's the new loading room? It's warm here today and I'm out in my loading room avoiding the heat and flies.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Loaded 100x 4570 353g boolits 24g 2400

Boolit Mold
    Hi guys.
    Was looking for the introduction thread but couldnt find it.

So here goes
    From South Africa
    Started casting TODAY

Got my 2nd hand 2 cavity Lyman 356402 120gr TC this morning and couldn't wait

Equipment used
    Cast iron pot
    Gas stove
    Soup ladle...yeah...

Sped up the melting of the lead with my forge burner

First 300 bullets took me 4 hours. Took a break
    Next 370 took two hours.
    Gonna get me a melting pot cause the spoon man....the spoon

Now to try my hand at powdercoating

Sent from my SM-A325F using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by engelbrecht.hs View Post
    Hi guys.
    Was looking for the introduction thread but couldnt find it.

So here goes
    From South Africa
    Started casting TODAY

Got my 2nd hand 2 cavity Lyman 356402 120gr TC this morning and couldn't wait

Equipment used
    Cast iron pot
    Gas stove
    Soup ladle...yeah...

Sped up the melting of the lead with my forge burner

First 300 bullets took me 4 hours. Took a break
    Next 370 took two hours.
    Gonna get me a melting pot cause the spoon man....the spoon

Now to try my hand at powdercoating

Sent from my SM-A325F using Tapatalk
    Excellent! Welcome to the Forum!
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Stared at a big box of old Herters wads,thinking if I could only find load data so they won't go to waste.

Boolit Master
    loaded 100x308 163gn gc boolits with 18gn 2400 . catching up on my reloading.357mag next.

I mounted a Burris FF2 on my .300BO, a Weaver K4 on my 30-30, and a Burris 6X on my 30-06.
    I hope to get time to sight them in while it's only 90ish degrees.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I loaded 20 rounds of black powder 43 Spanish, and some blackpowder .38 Colt.

Boolit Master
    I ran a couple pots worth of 38-200 Solids. 8 cavity, empties the pot Fast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 350Legend10.jpg  
    Mal

Boolit Master
    loaded some 308 and 357mag ,catching up .have to do a bit of casting soon.

My first session in July involves a pile of brass, a bucket of bullets, a stack of primers and a #of H110.
    Well see how many .30 Carbine 110gr jsp cartridges I end up with.
    And I'm putting a gun stuff desk in the spare room to enjoy the Air Conditioner while I putter away....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    You're having way too much fun. How's the new loading room? It's warm here today and I'm out in my loading room avoiding the heat and flies.
    Its coming along nicely, Thanks for asking! Our former housekeeper came over yesterday and again for a few hours this morning and helped me do some of the things that I needed help with, like step stool and ladder stuff. I think everything is present and accounted for. She is one of those people that are good at organization and was a big help. I need to learn how to post pictures, I took a few along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Stared at a big box of old Herters wads,thinking if I could only find load data so they won't go to waste.
    There is some older load data out there, surprising how much, take a trip through this thread:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Loading-Chart

There are several links to older loading manuals.

Try searching from outside the forum and you might come up with some data that you can use. Multiple wordings, include "castboolits" in some of the search strings. You might find what you are looking for.

Watch for the earliest Lyman shotgun manuals in S&S, they popup occasionally.

Good luck.

Ran the first part of a batch of 308 Norma brass through my Pro 2000 as an experiment to try save time by doing most of the brass work in progressive mode.

Brass is cleaned in a media tumbler, body sized on a Lee Classic Cast, then the necks are heat treated.

The Pro 2000 deprimes on station one, mandrel sizes on station two, and primes on the downstroke. One handle pull instead of three.

It will save a significant chunk of time, three operations within one pull of the handle.

Of the sixty or so cases, I had four with no primer, one primer upside down, and one sideways. The primer transfer bar was also not picking up every primer.

The no primers was fixed by paying more attention. The upside down was the first primed case - the primer punch was for small primers, not large, it had to be changed.

The sideways, I have no idea. I stripped the priming assembly, cleaned the retracting pin at the bottom of the primer feed tube and the recess it rides in, re-centered the primer punch in the shellplate, and it didn't happen again.

I lowered the linkage on the outside of the primer tube housing a bit, forcing the transfer bar to retract to the limit of it's travel, and the primer pickup with the transfer bar seems to be reliable now.

I bought this press as a box of rusty parts a couple of years ago, cleaned them up, put it together, and been looking at it since. RCBS manufacturing spared no expense on that one, it's a fantastic machine.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, not today, but this weekend.

I pan lube, but I haven't been entirely satisfied with the lube fill-out the way I'd been doing it, which was putting the room temp pan in the freezer for 15 minutes or so to get the wax to break free from the pie pan, then pushing the bullets out from the top once the wax warms back up to room temperature. It seemed that when the wax pulled away from the pan, it often pulled away from parts of the lube grooves as well. Never seemed to matter much to the barrels, as even with incomplete lube fill-outs I really haven't had issues with leading in anything. Still, it bothered me.

I made a "kake cutter" out of a .44 Mag shell with a bored out primer pocket and a nail, but was creating blisters on my thumbs using it. Thought there had to be a better way, and figured one out. In one of our bits and bobs cans in the garage I found several washers that would just allow a shell body to drop through, but not allow the rim to pass. I bored appropriate sized holes in a 1" thick slab of wood (roughly 4"x6"), dropped the shells into the appropriate washers, and then screwed the washers down while making sure the shells had smooth clearances.

I can now center the slab over a plastic tub, and tap the pointy end of the 4" nail with a hammer to knock the boolit out of the cutter, and catch the nail between my thumb and finger before it can drop through into the tub.

So far I'm set up to use a .45-70 shell for .45 bullets, a .303 shell for .308 bullets, and a .38 shell for 9mm bullets. In addition to the original slightly expanded mouth .44 Mag shell. The same washer does double duty for the .308 and .44 Mag shells. When I get around to casting up more .38 Special bullets I'll probably expand a .357 mag shell to about .360 for cutting purposes.

@Mal Paso get the BO upper - it's a blast. 1:10 twist. Cheap to load and shoot, decent for hunting except straight wall states. Good cast performance. You can use BCG from the 223. 223 brass is easy to convert. Mine seems to last forever.
    Got a henry in 308,x51 brass doesn't fit. Trimmed a bunch of LC. Had to grind 10 thou off the shell holder to chamber. I pulled and reloaded these cases 3 times to get it all right. MOA @ 100, amax & IMR4895 work fine. Now to cast some 145gr GC & PC when temp gets down to 90F.
    Whatever!

Page 542 of 601 FirstFirst ... 42442492532533534535536537538539540541542543544545546547548549550551552592 ... LastLast