Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Boolit Bub
    Nothing at the bench today, but Just bought myself a RCBS Pro Melt 2. Can't wait to give it a go.

Boolit Master
    Spent the last two days reforming 30/40 AI back to 30/40. Went well with only a few cases I didn't like the look of. So far today have expanded, trimmed and chamfered 70+ and have another hundred or so being tumbled before expanding and trimming. Expanded as a separate operation as I reformed them in a 30/40 FL die with the expander removed and after reforming decapped with the Lee decapping die. Using a Lyman M die backed out enough to expand the neck but not flare the case. Once I finish trimming and chamfering on the last ones will anneal all of them before loading, figure the reform operation is the textbook example of work hardening. Did try ten with my moderate loads for my Ruger No 3's and there were no issues, so if the trend continues figure I can put another thousand cast boolits down range over the next year or two. Not sure how these would work for full power J bullet hunting loads, but have enough good brass to cover that (about 10 rounds a year).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    I have been wanting to try ladle casting. The "Brown Santa Clause" dropped off my new Lyman Big Dipper and ladles on Friday and I spent the day messing with it today. Ran about 40lbs. of pretty .361" boolits for my 358 Winchester today. I just may be putting up the o'le bottom pour pot!!!
    OS —— I haven’t ladle cast in 20 years, RCBS Promelt is way too easy —- BUT, I recently have read almost everything Paul Matthews ever wrote and had a new Steve Brooks mold. I had long ago given away my ladle casting stuff and big brown had brought me the same setup you just got. Everything I read said 30-1, ladle cast, etc. I just spent a really enjoyable few hours casting some of the nicest 400 grain 45-70 bullets I’ve ever cast. I had plain forgotten how enjoyable it was to slow down, take it easy and throw good bullets, I’m a hopeless reloading gun nut….

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Just got in a new powder/shot cutoff for an ancient, non-progressive Pacific 366 shotshell press. Jazzed!
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

South Central Alaska. on the north gulf coast
    I just separated the bucket of ww I bought from tire store last week. 48 lbs Fe. 31lbs Zn. 68 lbs Pb. Plus a few hours of dusty work. $80 not really happy with cost.
    Managed 100 cleaned n primed 10 mm brass with reamed pockets and flash holes all the same length with fed 200 spm primers. Trying to get my velocities to balance out + or - closer. Haven’t been able to figure why 2 out of 5 are all ways way slower. Got a crono for Christmas. So don’t understand most of what I know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandoair View Post
    Managed 100 cleaned n primed 10 mm brass with reamed pockets and flash holes all the same length with fed 200 spm primers. Trying to get my velocities to balance out + or - closer. Haven’t been able to figure why 2 out of 5 are all ways way slower. Got a crono for Christmas. So don’t understand most of what I know.
    Sometimes mag primers will tighten up Extreme Spread, sometimes not. Most powder burns more consistently as pressure goes up so picking a powder that's in the top end of it's range for your application helps. Extreme Spread is not an indicator of accuracy, or so I've been told over and over.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Load the first 19 500/450 #1 Express loads today.

New caliber to me, 10 loaded with Lyman 457122, Ben's Red and aluminum gas checks for non-gas checked boolits. Used 5744 at the lowest load. We'll see if this will regulate.

9 rounds with a custom Accurate boolit, ~295 grains flat point with G/C, same starting load as the Lyman boolit.

Loading was a bit of a challenge.

C-H only had a sizer die in stock, so I used that for case forming and F/L sizing 500 N.E. cases down to 500-450's.

Used the expander from the .458 Win Mag to expand the neck.

Seated boolits with a 470 N.E. seating die with a seating stem that I turned, the 470 stem was too short for the 2.750" cases.

And wrote a bunch of notes on how I'm doing this because I'll forget what I did by next week.

Boolit Master
    cleaned my loading bench
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Load the first 19 500/450 #1 Express loads today.

New caliber to me, 10 loaded with Lyman 457122, Ben's Red and aluminum gas checks for non-gas checked boolits. Used 5744 at the lowest load. We'll see if this will regulate.

9 rounds with a custom Accurate boolit, ~295 grains flat point with G/C, same starting load as the Lyman boolit.

Loading was a bit of a challenge.

C-H only had a sizer die in stock, so I used that for case forming and F/L sizing 500 N.E. cases down to 500-450's.

Used the expander from the .458 Win Mag to expand the neck.

Seated boolits with a 470 N.E. seating die with a seating stem that I turned, the 470 stem was too short for the 2.750" cases.

And wrote a bunch of notes on how I'm doing this because I'll forget what I did by next week.
    Please keep us updated with this quest!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Just got a little gift. 112 of these. Haven't weighed them, but approximately 145# apiece.
    Thinking that I will be in Pb until I am done.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220505_035642715.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	299829

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Just got a little gift. 112 of these. Haven't weighed them, but approximately 145# apiece.

I'd say "put me in your will", but you'll probably outlive me!
    Cognitive Dissident

South Central Alaska. on the north gulf coast
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I'd say "put me in your will", but you'll probably outlive me!
    Now That is a score I’m especially looking for the soft stuff‼️ But I got the Pox today so not the least bit interested in the room today. Sorted some alloy yesterday getting ready for my first day casting of bollits. And making of boolit lube and sizing and loading and sending them down range etc.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Deprimed 500 cases in 45acp. Will pin tumble tomorrow while I deprimed 500 in 9mm. Then on to the 380's. Then I've got to order 20# from Roto metals some super hard 30% antimony to treat 200# of roofing boots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Loaded 45 Colt with PB and cleaned up the machine shop, WHEW
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Deprimed, pin tumbled, and dried 1100 pieces of brass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post

8+ tons of lead???? Wow!!!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    8+ tons of lead???? Wow!!!!
    You ain't just whistling Dixie! They're buried in the weeds in a boggy bottom. Getting them out is going to be fun!!!

I finally moved into the 21st Century and bought an electric trimmer setup.

I had no idea...

Disassembled my H&R Topper reciever to see about replacing the broken striker.
    Cussing predicted.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I decapped, tumbled and loaded my 87 pieces if 350 Legend brass. I used the penta HP 38-200 over 21g of 11FS and a CCI 450 primer.

I was going to chronograph the load yesterday but it was so windy I sat out the first relay when my target stand blew over. Had another target blow off the stand but by that time I had 2 targets up.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.