WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 46 of 604 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696146546 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Cast 111 Lee 309-180RNGC. They weigh just under 170 and don't know why except my alloy (50% range scrap/50% COWW) just comes out that way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Cast 111 Lee 309-180RNGC. They weigh just under 170 and don't know why except my alloy (50% range scrap/50% COWW) just comes out that way.
    I have the same mold and they drop at 168 with Wheel Weights and with pure lead 172. We are not the only ones that received defective molds from Lee But with me it doesn't matter as long as they leave the barrel and put holes in the paper or move a few rocks a couple of inches.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master

I JB welded an adjustable measure on my kids 410 mec. It was not designed to be used with such small amounts so I filled in the sides so the chamber would not a be a slit, which causes the shot to bridge and cause inconsistent shot charges. Now it is more of an oblong hole, works much better.

Boolit Master

I sat down last nite and loaded up 100 45ACP's with my new VV N310 powder, 3.8 grs, and the good old Miha H&G 68 clone 200 gr.. Can't wait to shoot some with the new powder. Very fast burning. Excellent for 45ACP and not too much else. I did see one pub load for the 9mm though.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Seperated the last 200#s of foundry & mono. Put in SFRBs for storage. Still have the 100#s of small foundry to box up. Need to find out exactly how much foundry & mono I have, must be 600#s with at least that much lino. Need some pure cause most of my "lead" is WW hard or close to it. Think 10 is about my lowest.

Banned

Answered email, pulled and shelved round ball,tumbled 45LC

Mixed 300# of my 16 batches of alloy, and poured into 1# ingots. This final batch is a consistent alloy. Each batch of those 16 are a stack of 50# or so, with a predicted alloy calculation. Each have very slight variations, so I take 3# from each stack to make the final alloy. I'm just hoping the final batches have less variation than the 16.

I also resized 2000 5.56 LC brass and about 500 7.62 LC brass. Just picked up some fresh powders to try. Again I'm back to trimming brass.. This is the only step I dislike. There has to be a better way. I'm using a drill with the Lee case trimmer stud. When I was doing the giant bag of 40S&W brass, the case would slip in the stud, causing me to reseat and try again. I'm not having that problem with the 5.56 or 7.62, they haven't slipped at all.

Argh, soon I have to cast more 40's. 1450fps from a 180gr 40S&W and zero malfunctions/jams! Tempting to try a 240gr mould for subsonic loads in those short cases...

If nothing blows up and I live to tell about it, soon I will have a treat for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    I have the same mold and they drop at 168 with Wheel Weights and with pure lead 172. We are not the only ones that received defective molds from Lee But with me it doesn't matter as long as they leave the barrel and put holes in the paper or move a few rocks a couple of inches.
    Agreed! My first round of accuracy tests are giving me 4" groups at 100yd with almost no recoil. More work to be done but the loads were just a guess with Unique and it was better than I thought.

So nice to shoot the 30-06 and not get a sore shoulder! Guess I'm getting old LOL!

Boolit Master

Set up my Dillon 650 for 44-40, only crushed one case mouth (so far!)

Loaded up some 577-450 and 45-70,off to the range tomorrow!

Boolit Master

Made a test run of .223 defensive ammo with 1970s M193 FMJ. If it will function properly and stay on a paper plate at 100 yards, I'll make a big run.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Cleaned the pot in preparation for the certified alloy. Then I tried to put one of the ingots in the pot.

Not sure how I'm going to handle this. I really don't want to melt them down into smaller ingots. I don't want to buy a new larger pot. Well actually I do "want to" but the bank account can't support it at the moment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Cleaned the pot in preparation for the certified alloy. Then I tried to put one of the ingots in the pot.

Not sure how I'm going to handle this. I really don't want to melt them down into smaller ingots. I don't want to buy a new larger pot. Well actually I do "want to" but the bank account can't support it at the moment.
    I just take the handy dandy propane torch & melt until it falls in. Works fine.

Also spent several hours sorting & boxing all the mono/foundry I got. I still have an additional 200#s coming.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post

Also spent several hours sorting & boxing all the mono/foundry I got. I still have an additional 200#s coming.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Sometimes the simple solutions are the hardest to see. I was hoping an ax would split them in half w/ ease. That wasn't the case. I will try the torch tomorrow morning, thanks.

Deprimed around 60 30-30 cases, washed them in a citric acid bath, rinsed, dried. It only took a few minutes, and no dusty media to fool around with.

Not a lot done, but went to the range earlier and my cases are ready to load again.

Loaded some 45 colt's with lee dippers and a scale, then gave 'em a boom test.
    All went boom and a bullet hit the "target" dirt holes in the yard.

Not sure if I'll, continue using the dippers...but for $13 and change its worth loading the old school way for fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Nothing yet, but I plan to spend the afternoon loading 223's for a up-coming Prairie Dog Hunt. With what I have already loaded, I'm thinking 500 will do me.

Boolit Master

Finally got all of my .22 Hornet stuff together and put some brass in the polisher to try my first itty bitty reloads.

After testing the load, started my $HTF collection in earnest. Not sure how much is enough but will load up all of my mil-spec .223 j-words. That's a lot of rounds. Loading some military magazines and putting the rest in stripper clips. I also have a Garand and will load a bunch of defensive rounds for it as well.

Swaged a BUNCH of Lake City brass primer pockets in a Dillon Super Swage. Found that CCI arsenal primers (#41) still seat much better if the primer pockets are reamed with a Hornady primer pocket reamer. The arsenal primers are a little harder IMO to seat than standard CCI primers. I'm loading some varmint rounds later today so will compare CCI 400 primers to the #41s.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    29 pounds of 173 gr. 30 caliber RNFP for the 30/30.

Last edited by MOA; 12-25-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Page 46 of 604 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696146546 ... LastLast