Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: What did you do in the reloading room today?

Ran 2 big batches of brass through my stainless pin tumbler ... it's drying in the food dehydrator now.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Glued up the frame for the glass tray for the tumble lubing tray today. Couldn't find enough of the right size clamps, so I just used my clamps in one dimension and then put it on the floor on edge with a 60ish-lb lead "pig" on top of it as a clamp in the other dimension.

Last edited by NavyVet1959; 07-05-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Tumble lubed some bullets

Loaded 200 rounds of 38 special with Win 231 and Lyman's 358311 boolit. These have been working wonderfully lately in all my 38/357 revolvers.

Made a few of these

Attachment 166384
    Member "mike daniels" offered this Lyman 323481 for sale and got it today in the morning mail.
    Couldn't resist firing up the lead pot for a few, ended up being 200..... but was like Christmas time.

Pete

Boolit Grand Master

Started going through the boxes of the equipment lot I bought. Okay, I only went through two of the buckets that came w/ it. I have enough 30cal 170 grain Winchester Silvertips and 165 grain Hornady BTSPs to hunt w/ for the rest of my life. Hopefully I have time tomorrow to start putting some of it away.

Took a few minutes yesterday to stop by one of the many resale stores such as salvation army runs. This one was a new store to me. Runs for the assistance of the arkansas Council for the blind... I can usually find something to use and my few $s spent does help. I happened to find a Harbour freight powder coating gun. Original box, looked to be everything there. $20. What the heck., it came home with me. I went out the is morning and fired up my pot as I didn't have any bullets to coat. Ran a hundred or so 9mm 115tc and then set up the gun. Coated The first batch decently, put in the oven and started casting again. Coated a second batch and then a final third. Made some solid hf red, and mixed some red with a Grey and it came out a pretty Lavender. Just about figured out how to use the gun, but I'll have to move outside to keep my shop clean. My rigged box won't contain the powder. Oh and I loaded up 50 each of the colors.

Boolit Master

Finished up my first wood and glass tumble lubing bullet dump tray.

(full resolution image)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Worked on my RSO training materials.
    Good on you, friend. Keep them safe!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=NavyVet1959;3618166]Finished up my first wood and glass tumble lubing bullet dump tray.

(full resolution image)[/QUOTE

I like! Silly me, I use baking sheets and waxed paper.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Didn't load a thing! Straightened up a bit. Drug out an old furnace, silly thing didn't have a spout or nothing! Had to use this funny-looking spoon-type thing to pour really hot lead into little iron blocks. Glad they had handles on them, they were pretty hot! Only made one boolit at a time.
    Maybe I'll do some loading next weekend...if I'm not too busy mowing. Almost 3" rain last 24 hrs...with 3 hours to go. Thinking about taking up crawfish farming.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I like! Silly me, I use baking sheets and waxed paper.
    Well, like I mentioned in a previous post, I have a few of these thick pieces of glass sitting around because they used to be table tops or the supports for the table tops because of our glass furniture period 25 or so years ago. This way, I get some use out of them. Also, the glass makes for a good writing surface for jotting down notes with a grease pencil.

Besides, I needed to learn how to make simple frames like this in case I ever want to do a floating panel cabinet door or something.

Turned out OK, I guess, since it started out as a pine 2x4...

Perma-Banned

Loaded 150rds of .357 for the Rossi.

Cleaned and waxed the sliding surfaces on a powder measure.

Boolit Grand Master

Turned out OK, I guess, since it started out as a pine 2x4... NavyVet1959

More than OK! Use what you have, you're my hero! Wax paper and baking sheets cost money. Glass w/ wood frames is a classy touch. If they were dishwasher safe you could probably make a bit of cash selling them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    More than OK! Use what you have, you're my hero! Wax paper and baking sheets cost money. Glass w/ wood frames is a classy touch. If they were dishwasher safe you could probably make a bit of cash selling them.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm sure those more seriously into woodworking would have the equipment to do this sort of thing quicker and a lot cheaper than I could if I was to actually put some value on my time. I came across this old table saw on CraigsList nearly 3 years ago and mainly it's just been for ripping lumber and making long straighter cuts easier than I could do with a handheld circular saw.

To make these sort of frames in any sort of production, a person would need a jointer, table top sander, and maybe an additional table saw so that he didn't have to keep changing the settings on the table saws. I just don't have the space for that sort of endeavor. Besides, once you start selling them, it becomes *work* and is not fun anymore.

Glass cleans up easily. That's why I like to use glass pieces to dump my tumble lubed bullets on. I have some larger pieces of thick tempered glass that I got off of someone on CraigsList really cheap. He had salvaged them from something and planned on using them in a cabin he was building, but he didn't realize they were tempered, so when he tried to cut the first one, it broke into tons of small pieces. He scored it and then tried to snap it like you do with normal glass and he ended up with a pile of basically this:

I just posted this in case anyone else has some scrap glass around to show them that it is pretty simple to make a frame for it so that you can use it as a tray for tumble lubed bullets.

I've been tumbling brass dry with the walnut shell/corn cob mix that is so popular. It does a great job on the outside of brass with some mineral spirits and a capful of NuFinish polish added to each round of tumbling. I became curious though whether wet tumbling works as well as some reviews and Youtube videos appear to show. This weekend I wet tumbled in ernest with the double drum Harbor Freight tumbler and .047 stainless media available on eBay. Holy Cow! It's wet tumbling for me from here forward. A little squirt of Dawn detergent in the water before closing up the drum along with a pinch of Lemi-Shine or similar wetting agent is all it takes. Gorgeous brass inside and out!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm sure those more seriously into woodworking would have the equipment to do this sort of thing quicker and a lot cheaper than I could if I was to actually put some value on my time. I came across this old table saw on CraigsList nearly 3 years ago and mainly it's just been for ripping lumber and making long straighter cuts easier than I could do with a handheld circular saw.

To make these sort of frames in any sort of production, a person would need a jointer, table top sander, and maybe an additional table saw so that he didn't have to keep changing the settings on the table saws. I just don't have the space for that sort of endeavor. Besides, once you start selling them, it becomes *work* and is not fun anymore.

Glass cleans up easily. That's why I like to use glass pieces to dump my tumble lubed bullets on. I have some larger pieces of thick tempered glass that I got off of someone on CraigsList really cheap. He had salvaged them from something and planned on using them in a cabin he was building, but he didn't realize they were tempered, so when he tried to cut the first one, it broke into tons of small pieces. He scored it and then tried to snap it like you do with normal glass and he ended up with a pile of basically this:

I just posted this in case anyone else has some scrap glass around to show them that it is pretty simple to make a frame for it so that you can use it as a tray for tumble lubed bullets.
    For readily available tempered glass simply pull the glass off a dead printer/copier. They seem to be everywhere because they quit so easily.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I tore down my RCBS Pro 2000, put in the original box and am getting it ready to ship to it's new owner.

Boolit Master

Not what I did, but what I've got to do. Have 12 5-gallon buckets of lead ingots of differing hardness (some clip-on wheel weights, some pure lead stick-on wheel weights, some lead pipe, some mixed stick-on & clip-on plus some range pick-up commercial lead boolits that are perfect for casting) and wasn't careful when I tossed the ingots into the buckets and got some of them mixed. Will have to pour most of them out on the concrete floor and drop them on the floor, testing them from sound and put them in proper buckets. Planning ahead makes real good sense to me right now. Will also have to get my best hearing aids so I can tell the difference in the sounds. Big Boomer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    For readily available tempered glass simply pull the glass off a dead printer/copier. They seem to be everywhere because they quit so easily.
    If someone really needed the tempered glass pieces, there are some online stores that have them for reasonable prices. I have to think that the shipping might eat up the savings though. The 3/16" thick ones used for store shelving in 10"x16" is just $2.59.

https://www.storesupply.com/pc-12927...els-67112.aspx