Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real World Experience: 30-30 Ackley Improved in Lever Guns

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Country View Post
    I know that this is an old thread which is updated from time to time, but I would like some input if anyone can help. I have, among other M99s, an old take down in 22Savage HP. As I have been thinking about options for re-barrelling it as a backpack rifle for use on both Fallow and Sambar deer here in North East Victoria. I have successfully used both a 99C in 308W in the bush, or an M70 in 375H&H over clear-cuts for sambar, and have been thinking about the takedown in 30AI.
    As a 99 will take higher pressures than a 94 or Marlin 336 AND can use a spire pointed bullet, I think this will take the 30AI to another level. Yes, I already have a 99 in 308W, but it's neither a take-down nor a rotary mag. If I can get a 150gn ballistic tip to 2700 out of an 18 inch barrel, it should work well on Sambar. Any thoughts, experience? BTW, I last shot a 28inch Sambar stag, which was about the size of a 3yo Angus steer.
    How precisely cut is the magazine? That may be your limiting issue, if the magazine cannot hold the larger diameter cartridge.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sounds like a Browning BLR takedown in .308 is what you are looking for!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Country View Post
    I know that this is an old thread which is updated from time to time, but I would like some input if anyone can help. I have, among other M99s, an old take down in 22Savage HP. As I have been thinking about options for re-barrelling it as a backpack rifle for use on both Fallow and Sambar deer here in North East Victoria. I have successfully used both a 99C in 308W in the bush, or an M70 in 375H&H over clear-cuts for sambar, and have been thinking about the takedown in 30AI.
    As a 99 will take higher pressures than a 94 or Marlin 336 AND can use a spire pointed bullet, I think this will take the 30AI to another level. Yes, I already have a 99 in 308W, but it's neither a take-down nor a rotary mag. If I can get a 150gn ballistic tip to 2700 out of an 18 inch barrel, it should work well on Sambar. Any thoughts, experience? BTW, I last shot a 28inch Sambar stag, which was about the size of a 3yo Angus steer.
    KC - I have a M1899 Savage, formerly .22 HP, now rebarreled with factory Savage .30-30 barrel. Forget about the pointed bullets idea. Magazine limits OAL and requires much deeper seating of pointed bullets, thus reduced cartridge capacity, plus puts them way back off the rifling. In my experience COL for reliable feeding is is 2.500" - 2.525". The Hornady bullets for the LeverEvolution ammo might be OK. Otherwise Sierra 170 or 150 are most accurate, being closest to the rifling, which this rifle requires. If you want extra velocity, buy some LeverEvolution powder.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12