Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 454 T/C Encore

454 T/C Encore

I own a 15" Encore barrel in 454 Casull. I shoot mostly 45 Colt rounds as the recoil bloodies my middle finger on the trigger guard when firing full power Casull loads. I've been thinking about having the barrel threaded and installing a brake, then fitting this in a rifle stock for an "In the truck gun" Would the extra length of the brake make this a legal rifle? Would the brake need to be tack welded on or would just screwed on be okay? I don't want to go the SBR route. If I can't get a machinist friend interested might be an expensive fix anyway. Thoughts? GP

Boolit Master
    It is my understanding that the brake will need to be permanently fixed. Pinned on or welded so that you can't "screw" it off in the field. As long as the OAL is >16" it is then a rifle.

Boolit Master
    rosewood has it. Spot weld it or pin it on. And wear muffs...
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master
    You will have to blind pin/weld the brake on in order to not have to go the SBR route. Just a thought, by the time you pay someone to make a brake and do the pin/weld, you would probably have the amount of the tax stamp ($200) tied up in the project. Why not go SBR? I understand if its just something you don't want to fool with, just an idea. A 16 inch barrel on an Encore makes for a short overall package anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    probably have the amount of the tax stamp ($200) tied up in the project. Why not go SBR?
    Yes, but the permanent brake makes the barrel legal to sell AND use for both pistols and rifles.

Maybe one day the OP won't need it as much, and would want to sell it with no hassles.

Just my fervid thought...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Just thinking out loud here I guess. The 454 15" barrel is a lot of handgun to plink with. I thought if it were clipped to the dash of the truck, police shotgun style it would be a very handy in and out of the truck rifle. This is a project that most likely won't get over the expense speed bump, but thanks you guys for the comments. I was pretty sure the brake would need to be a permanent fixture. ohland has a very good point also as a sale later would want to be a very above board thing. Thanks again GP

Boolit Master

i have a 13" Encore 454 shoots great i did have 4 port mag-na-ports put in when my barrel was made it was a big help
    and is not as LOUD as a brake. i woul keep your barrel as is or sell / trade for a Katahdin barrel if you want a short rifle
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ohland View Post
    Yes, but the permanent brake makes the barrel legal to sell AND use for both pistols and rifles.

Maybe one day the OP won't need it as much, and would want to sell it with no hassles.

Just my fervid thought...
    The barrel would still be legal to sell. If he were to go the SBR route, it will be the receiver that is the "registered" item. The barrel would still be quite legal to use on a pistol as he now does. IF he ever decided to sell the whole system it could transfer to another person on a form four, OR he could put the thing back into the pistol configuration (which is what it is now), send a letter to the ATF and take it off the registry and treat it just like it is now with no NFA hoops or requirements/restrictions.

Boolit Master
    Hmm, interesting. So if you registered a contender or encore as a SBR, then you could put a stock on any pistol caliber barrel you have for it?? Or have we ventured into the "gray" area of the NFA?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Hmm, interesting. So if you registered a contender or encore as a SBR, then you could put a stock on any pistol caliber barrel you have for it?? Or have we ventured into the "gray" area of the NFA?
    If you register an Encore or Contender as a SBR the receiver is the registered item. You could then put any length barrel as well as a shoulder stock on it. I haven't done the SBR thing yet, but from my research, IIRC you need to be able to return it to the configuration that you register it in. An example would be that you registered it as having a 10 inch barrel. You could put any length barrel you wanted to on it, but would need to keep the capability of putting the 10 inch barrel on it. If you did in fact get rid of the 10 inch barrel I think a letter needs to go to ATF stating a change in the configuration to whatever the new "permanent" configuration is.

Boolit Master

nothing to register for Encores or Contenders you can use same frame on pistol or Rifle BUT if the barrel is shorter then 16"
    don't put a stock on it.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Frosted Boolits

This brings back memories......the old Encore pistol I had in 454....yup, bloodies the fingers everytime! LOL. Was still fun to shoot though...
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    nothing to register for Encores or Contenders you can use same frame on pistol or Rifle BUT if the barrel is shorter then 16"
    don't put a stock on it.
    We know that, we were discussing registering the receiver so you can put a <16" bbl with a stock on it. With the right paperwork and tax payment, it is legal.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    This brings back memories......the old Encore pistol I had in 454....yup, bloodies the fingers everytime! LOL. Was still fun to shoot though...
    Wow, wonder how bad it would be in 460 S&W...