Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a turret press. What do you recommend?

Another vote for the Lee Classic Turret. Over the last few years it has given me "Nil" problems, it still has the original square plastic ratchet thingy in it, hasn't broken yet.

At one point I had all my dies in extra turrets setup for 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, 45acp, 22-250rem, 243 and 308 win.

I never loaded for bench rest accuracy, but using the Pro powder measure and double disk kit gave good quality, reliable accurate ammunition. Using lee products I was able to setup for all of my reloading needs for a third of the cost of the more expensive brands.

I'm not knocking the other manufacturers, but for what I needed and Lee's price point they got and kept me as a customer.

Cheers, Dave.
    Say hello to Smith & Wesson and their 6 children all named .357 magnum.

Hey leftyred has one for sale.

It's hard to beat the Lee classic cast for design and function if you can make do with 4 stations.

Boolit Bub

I have a T7, I use it for rifle only. I did not care for the priming system so I got a RCBS press mounted strip loader. If you get a T7 I have the priming system available.

I have 4 turrets and can do caliber changes in a minute or so.

Good Luck
    Gary

Banned

I would get a 550b dillon.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    Hey leftyred has one for sale.
    Yep! I am keeping one at a friend's house set up for 38's. One toolhead is set up for 148-WC and the other is set up for 125-RF. Both with there own PM, I can change out in a minute or less.

But buy knowing that the money is going towards a Redding T-7 for my 44 magnum and 357 magnum setup at my apartment!

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    My first turret press that I still use is Posness Warner P-200. I reload a bunch small batch stuff with to this day. All steel and easy to use, take a look. My other presses are the Rockchucker, Dillon 550B, and a old Lyman Turret that and I am working on to clean up.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Bub
    My favourite press

I started off with an RCBS Rock Chucker about 25 years ago. I still have it and do all rifle or bottle neck cartridges, including the 7.62 x 25. I also use it for forming 338-06 a-square rounds. It has served me well. I have also owned a Lee 3 hole auto index press, and have used that for years for all my pistol ammo. I was so impressed with this press, I bought a second one. Bar none, the 3 hole auto index made by Lee is the best press I have ever used. If I had to own but one press, without a doubt it would be this. Simple, fast enough, semi progressive, a joy to use. Over the years I have added a used Lee Challenger, just because the price was right, and have acquired 2 Lee automators that I have added to the Challenger and the Rockchucker. (piggy back unit that convert a single stage to a progressive, basically a Lee Pro1000) Once the kinks were worked out, it became a pleasure to use the automators. I shoot a lot, both rifle and pistol, and therefore cast and reload many rounds. I wish Lee still made that 3 hole turret press.

Boolit Master
    Hankster1962,

Happy to hear that the Automator's have worked out for you! I also continue to enjoy using mine. What calibers are you loading on them?

People are always asking me when I will be switching over to the 4-hole turret and my reply is always the same "When lee quits selling the nylon gear and my stash of spares runs out!". Since I do not use the FCD 3 holes is all that I need!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Man
    I own two turret presses. One is a Redding the other the Lee Classic turret press. I use the Redding for black powder cartridge and the Lee for everything else, .454 casull, 45 colt, 44 special, and .380. I really love the Lee. Like the others have said, $10 bucks you have another turret, leave the dies set and your ready to go the next time.

All this talk made me wanno do something so I dusted the Lyman T-Mag turret and deprimed, sized & primed about 400 .204 Ruger cases. All separated by manufacturer. It was nice. Now tomorrow I am going to load up up some .25-06 test loads for a new barrel. This is where a turret press excels changing bullets, seating depth, powder, etc. I have never put a stopwatch to it but it sure feels like I am loading faster than the Rock Chuck when doing this.

Boolit Buddy

Lee 4 hole turret press is my favorite. I have had a Lee Loadmaster for years and its great but I only use it as an auto-indexing press instead of progressive , I prefer to hand prime because of priming problems in the past when loading progressive. The Lee Classic 4 hole turret does the same job for less than half the cost and hasn't failed me yet. I much prefer having my different calibers on separate turrets and the Lee makes that an easy option at the price. Sempet Fi

JD
    Last edited by NC_JEFF; 12-06-2014 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typo

Banned

for use once a month or so, lee classic turret.

for use at least weekly or more, redding t7.

Boolit Master
    I would consider once a week a Lee, once a day a Dillon/Redding/Lyman, etc. Maybe cause that's how much I did on mine. But, I only ran a bit more than 100k rounds through it

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    for use once a month or so, lee classic turret.

for use at least weekly or more, redding t7.
    I don't understand this line of thinking. So the Lee isn't even up to monthly use?

The extra turrets make everything really convenient.

I leave a note in the box as to which bullet the dies are set up for. And there are dummy rounds made to make adjusting them quick.

Banned

Obviously he making a point about something he has no experience with. With the exception of the plastic auto-index piece, the Classic Turret is built to last.

Boolit Master
    Heaven's I best run into my reloading room and toss out all Lee turret and Progressives! According the obviously well informed opinion listed above, they may self destruct at any time, since they are well over 100,000 rounds and one is approaching 200,000!

Oh, and just an FYI the turret is the original aluminum base unit! @ over a 100,000 round that's 300,000 pulls of the handle! Properly maintained and cared for most reloading tools will last longer than their owners, even Lee!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    With the exception of the plastic auto-index piece, the Classic Turret is built to last.
    That piece isn't meant to last. It's the weak link that breaks so more expensive parts don't. I once inquired about a metal replacement ratchet. It was pointed out to me why you want it to be plastic. I've replaced one so far. This is most likely from me short stroking the press. W/ the cost of replacement I'm not complaining.

Dragon, good idea about keeping a dummy round with the dies . Such a simple idea I don't know why I didn't think of it. (Actually, I do know but I'm not saying....).

Banned

I too like the dummy round idea. I know the plastic auto index piece is designed to be the sacrificial weak link. Like the shear pins in a post hole digger or rotary cutter, it goes first. I ran a four hole Lee turret for quite a while. The plastic auto index piece is far more durable than one would expect.