Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Help Identifying Paul Jones Mould

Boolit Buddy

Help Identifying Paul Jones Mould

Greetings,

Purchased a Paul Jones 40 caliber mould and it does not fit my rifle. (My Browning BPCR has a 0.400" bore)

The bore riding section of the bullet measures 0.402"

The OD of the lube grooves measures 0.412"

The bullet weighs 440 grains, cast with 1:20 alloy.

The mould is only identified as "Paul Jones 40 Cal".

Anyone else out in cyberland have one of these? If so, what cartridge it is intended for?

Cheers,

Dave

Vendor Sponsor

Yup, it does not work in a 400 408 barrel. I got mine used from someone I know....... Kinda hard to resell as a 40 cal BPCR with a straight face.

Mine is the same design as yous - same weight too.
    Chill Wills
    Chill Wills

I have the same mold and shoots real well in my Shiloh 40-70SS, I do have to seat it deeper than I would like,mine cast' closer to .410 then 412 depending on alloy.These may be for the Pedersoli Gibbs 40 cal rifles.

Boolit Master
    I think that Krieger cut bbls for the 405 Winchester are 403 bore x 411. LB

Boolit Buddy
    There should be a "PJ" followed buy the mould # stamp'd on the spru-plate.
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by longranger View Post
    I have the same mold and shoots real well in my Shiloh 40-70SS, I do have to seat it deeper than I would like,mine cast' closer to .410 then 412 depending on alloy.These may be for the Pedersoli Gibbs 40 cal rifles.
    What size is the Pedersoli bore diameter? I would have guessed it would require a .399" diameter bullet but I only have a 45 cal Gibbs so I don't know about the 40..

Using them in my 40-70 SS would be some "very deep" seating. Have not tried them but I think the powder charge would be very much reduced.

kokomokid

"I think that Krieger cut bbls for the 405 Winchester are 403 bore x 411. LB"

Yes, I think the Winchester 1895 used a 404 - 412 barrel.
    But I am not sure why my friend would have used a barrel this size to barrel a singleshot and then sold the mould.... with out saying anything bout the oversize diameter. But, I will find out when the time is right.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    Paul Jones was a custom mold maker.The mold you have was cut to someones specifications to fit a barrel they had.He didnt have molds on the shelf waiting to be sold.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bolivor View Post
    Paul Jones was a custom mold maker.The mold you have was cut to someones specifications to fit a barrel they had.He didnt have molds on the shelf waiting to be sold.
    This is true.

It is also true Paul only had a finite number of nose cutters and had standard bullets you could order to your diameters.
    This is one of his standard 40 cal bullets designs. The bullet is not odd, It is the diameter that is odd. I don't mean odd that Paul would cut it to an odd size but, but rather that someone would want one that diameter....

A 402 -412 40 cal BPCR is NOT what you expect when you talk to someone about buying a 40 cal BPCR mould from them.
    .400" nose and 408-410" body would be more inline with expectations.
    The two ringers I got this mould from know better. (the One guy was selling it for the other and I've know them both for a lot of years) ....and when I get a chance next time I see them - I will have a little fun with them. ........and maybe get my money back too. It's all in fun.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    That bullet might work fair in one of the new Winchester 85's chambered in 405. If the barrels they put on those are anything like the one on my 95.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Found the guy I bought the mould from. He just contacted Paul Jones and ordered a "40 cal" mould. He was using it in a 40-70 cartridge.

I have since written to Paul Jones seeking more information.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Greetings,

Found the guy I bought the mould from. He just contacted Paul Jones and ordered a "40 cal" mould. He was using it in a 40-70 cartridge.

I have since written to Paul Jones seeking more information.

Cheers,

Dave
    Paul is no longer making moulds-He stopped over a year ago and has removed his website.
    PJ would always want to know for what rifle and alloy you were using so he knew what to cut the mould to.
    Here's a place to look at for PJ quality moulds.
    http://www.sageoutfitters.com/sagebr...let-molds.html
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Quote Originally Posted by bolivor View Post
    You are correct. I have 3 of his moulds which were made to a chamber cast that I sent him! The finest moulds ever owned

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Do you want to sell it. If so PM me. I have a Win 1885 in 405 that it will work for.

Boolit Bub
    I have 2 Winchester in 40-65. Had to have them relined. Redman in Washington did the re-line job. He did a beatiful job. and the groove is 0.408 and I size to 0.411" and it shoots like a house afire, that is in a 1885 (original). The 1886 was origially an 40-65 and it was also relined. Had a tough time getting a mold for it but I got an NEI 260 pb bullet in a trade. It too, shoots very well. I load it with about 13 gr SR 4756.

Bob 11B50

Boolit Master
    I had been using an old Ideal 412263 whicch was about .005" too big for my .40-70 2 1/2" Axtell Sharps bore...but the darn thing shot so accuratly I had Fred Leeth of Pioneer Products make a nose-pour copy..this one drops at .410 and works fine in the .408 groove dia. If I was using a bore-rider..I would much rather it be too tight than loose...of course a perfect fit is best..but if you have a .400 sizer die..that nose can be reduced in short order.

Boolit Mold
    about 2 years ago an older lady on ebay listed a bunch of Jones moulds for 45. I bought most of them and as a result she sent me some others she couldnt find in the catalog, turned out to be prototype moulds her husband worked on with Jones. Some very interesting moulds indeed. I need to take pics. I got like a dozen moulds from her.