Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comment only

Boolit Grand Master

Comment only

This is a FWIW, observation only (the subject of which is sometimes an irritant to me).

I have seen a lot of threads where the OP asks a specific question and gets mebbe 10% of related answers, at most, and 90% semi or unrelated comments. I saw a thread this morning on another forum where the OP asked for opinions between 2 lever guns. 15 replies and one commented on leverguns and 14 others told the OP of their choice of bolt action rifles, and it was a levergun forum! On this forum today I read a thread asking about a specific powder, in a specific rifle, for a specific velocity. None of the 15 replies pertained to the powder, rifle, or velocity. Some posts told of personal loads with a few other powders, in other rifles, for other velocities. Some even touched on the legal aspects of reloading manuals' listed data and none of the replies had anything to do with the specific powder and loads in the specific rifle.

So, am I wrong about "thread drift" and "bunny trails" (semi-related posts of little or no real worth to the questioner/OP)? Mebbe I'm just asking too much to have an answer to a question that pertains to the original question? Or am I just ? Or should I expect one out of 15 replies to directly amswer my question with 14 others telling me I'm as crazy as their cousin's brother-in-law's friend's PaPa?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I was out picking mushrooms this morning and ran across a water snake sunning it self on a rock.
    It's a good thing I had my trusty sling shot with me and a round ball cast of unobtainium. But as
    luck would have it the bands on the sling shot were stored for 15 years in the trunk of a Desoto.
    This caused the rate of stretch to be unequal side to side and to make a long story short I missed.

LOL.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Banned

Your observation is accurate. People just talking to talk. ^^^^^

Boolit Master
    You should always check your rubbers before each use and I don't think unobtainium is dense enough for wood chuck hunting.

You have to sort thru lots of chaff to find the wheat. Here, there and everywhere.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It helps keep a thread alive until someone actually comes up with an answer.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I agree and when I was learning to drive my Mom's DeSoto, I had trouble 'cause it was so big, needing extra ammo in the trunk because it was just after the '63 LA riots and hunting was scarce...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

People like to talk about themselves. There is no way around it. I try to keep my posts on topic. But drift is inevitable. A lot of threads would simply disappear, or constantly bumped, if there wasn't some chatter in them. Kind of a double edged sword. And sometimes the off topic talk is full of great info that wouldn't have come out any other way.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes the drift is better than the original ask, but it does seem that the internet has institutionalized ADD.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Banned

Speaking of double edged swords, Do you sharpen the up side of your blade on a Bowie knife???

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Speaking of double edged swords, Do you sharpen the up side of your blade on a Bowie knife???
    Just the top edge by the tip, but I don't own a Bowie knife.

Boolit Master

Heads whistling makes a luteful sound
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Moderator Emeritus

Luteful, that reminds me of Lutefisk which means it must be close to Christmas and the Lutheran Norskie dinner.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Powder Bill View Post
    Your observation is accurate. People just talking to talk. ^^^^^

Accurate but incomplete.
    They do just like to talk but they don't like to read the original question.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Sometimes the drift is better than the original ask, but it does seem that the internet has institutionalized ADD.
    Do you mean A dumb Dog syndrome?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

As to the OP's observation, .......What was the question?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    After reading this thread, and to the OP's point, I'm definitely going to use my surplus powder in my rifle to shoot for a specific velocity! Anybody have any load data for me?

Thanks in advance!

Banned

I think so but you'll have to go look I'm busy answering questions on the computer.

I had an uncle who bought a new '53 Plymouth. He couldn't drive it home......he parked out by the hiway and walked the 1 1/2 mi. up the lane to get the tractor to grade the center hump down so he could drive home.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

I am not guilty of "thread drift". Don't ask me again!