Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

I have yet to fire any, and realisticly, other than pointing a barrel out the window of a truck and letting fly, there is no way I will be shooting any till april.

But it did put a nice layer on everything.

I also cut up some stiff foam packaging material and poked holes so that I could stand bullets on their noses.
    Some I poked with a dremel tool and a tapered stone. But the Soldering iron was faster, quieter, and did a nice job.

Didn't take me long to make enough flats to be able to lube and dry some 300 bullets at a whack.

I did cast and lube 160 .358 158 TL
    And unlubed some .312 185 gc design bullets that are destined to be shot out of my SKS.

Seems to give a nice cover.

Perma-Banned

Just got through putting some rounds lubed with it through one of my 44 specials. After the session, a pretty thorough inspection of the barrel yielded no lead from forcing cone through the muzzle...clean as a whistle.

Let me add, these bullets were coated with just about the lightest coat that you could get on a bullet...you could not look at them and tell that they had ever had anything put on them...they just appeared to be a little dull.

I am sold on it.

GREAT work Ben!
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 12-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Just got through putting some rounds lubed with it through one of my 44 specials. After the session, a pretty thorough inspection of the barrel yielded no lead from forcing cone through the muzzle...clean as a whistle.

Let me add, these bullets were coated with just about the lightest coat that you could get on a bullet...you could not look at them and tell that they had ever had anything put on them...they just appeared to be a little dull.

I am sold on it.

GREAT work Ben!

Now that is the kind of results I've been hoping for.
    That's GREAT ! !

Thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Master
    I ordered the wax from Amazon yesterday. I wonder if this new lube mix can be diluted and sprayed.
    My conventional lube 45 acp, 200gr SWC are too messy once lubed. If I could over spray after the lube step it would be nice to clean up the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I ordered the wax from Amazon yesterday. I wonder if this new lube mix can be diluted and sprayed.
    My conventional lube 45 acp, 200gr SWC are too messy once lubed. If I could over spray after the lube step it would be nice to clean up the mess.
    It's really thin...don't know if you would need to dilute it further.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

how would it work if used straight as a over lube or as a TL with out the LLA or used with a lesser amount in the mix?

Boolit Grand Master
    Fellows :

Looks like we are getting question like..........What if we change this, what if that, what if this...... ? ?

Keep in mind that I've only used the lube for 2 yrs.
    The Ben's Liquid Lube that was used was identical to what I've described and explained. I have no idea what the answers to your questions would be.

If you guys want to modify and change the lube, go at it. You'll end up with something much better than I or possibly something much worse. Time will tell. However, I'm sticking with proven performance myself. I have zero doubts about this lube.

This same thing happened with Ben's Red when it was 1st offered to the public. Everyone wanted to modify it and change it . ( Which is fine, you're the one who has purchased all the components, once you've paid for all of it , mix it any way you'd like. )
    Last edited by Ben; 12-04-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Banned

This makes sense. You worked out the details, did the testing and due diligence, for two years, and shared your results and findings. It is amusing that before even trying it, members want to tweak it with no experience with the tested formulation in the first place. What I intend to do is try it as is.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've done several batches of boolits with the "Ben's LL" as a final lube covering. The various boolits all have been sized and lubed with Ben's Red prior to the "LL". It's a learning process, as are all things. First couple of batches, I used too much "LL". It took a long time to dry on my wax paper and added a thick layer of lube. If I had only closely followed Ben's article instructions to begin with ! Subsequent batches were done with the "few drops" Ben recommended and they have come out beautifully. Thin, dry coating - slippery - and almost invisible. Deer season has interrupted my hobby time. OH, the sacrifices one has to make................... I'll be on it soon and expect good things.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't want to wet on anyone's " experimental spirit ".

If someone wants to change 27 things and get the Nobel prize for their work, I'm all for it.

If we didn't have the adventurous types, I guess there would be no planes, trains, or cell phones.
    Scientifically speaking, sometimes we have to be brave enough to venture out of our comfort zones.

However, asking me to predict what this, that, or the other will do is well beyond my limits. I'm no chemical engineer.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 12-04-2014 at 10:50 PM.

I'm A Honcho!
    I mixed up a batch and tried on some already lubed groove boolits and it takes the tackyness away. I use a really soft lube and this looking to be my quick cure to keep the boolits from sticking together.
    This stuff is so easy it's scary!!!!
    I am going to try it on some unlubed pistol boolits as soon as I cast some.
    Thank you very much for the info and recipe Ben.
    Wasalmonslayer

Boolit Grand Master
    You are more than welcome .

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Right on Ben!

BTW you were right about that Dextron III not wanting to dry.

The good news is that I gave those bullets a quick tumble in pure Johnson's wax and it seems to have sealed them up good.

Nothing wrong with experimenting, but don't expect anyone to fix it if you screw up.

I have some 300 bullets lubed, about half 38/.357 and half .312's destined to be tested in my SKS.

So far when I follow the recipe I'm happy with the results.

Remember that when you go off the path it is easy to end up in a swamp.

Boolit Grand Master
    Remember that when you go off the path it is easy to end up in a swamp.

Umm, now that is a GOOD ONE !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    This photo was in post # 1, but here it is again..........

Anyone have an alternative for this for those of us who cannot buy it in Canada? Would love to try this out!

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    Why not skip the conventional lube and just use the new lube...it works fine by itself.

I only shoot handgun rounds, and I only tumble lube...this new lube works excellent.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why not skip the conventional lube and just use the new lube...it works fine by itself.

I only shoot handgun rounds, and I only tumble lube...this new lube works excellent.
    shoot-n-lead

In handgun rounds that aren't " pedal to the metal " loads, I think you may be onto something.

I'm concerned that handgun loads that enter the 1,200 fps - 1,300 fps + range ( like some of my 454 Casull Loads ) may present a problem but time and actual range performance reviews by all of you using the new lube will shed more light on the possibility of a velocity threshold that the new lube cannot satisfactorily get us across ? ?

In rifle loads, I think I'll stay with Ben's Red and a final coat of Ben's LL. For me, the system is working very well.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    when you have a round that shoots very good and leadfree you don''t want to change muchs. this new lube as an over coat would make be happy as it could keep my dies cleaner. Though I may try this new combo on the 9mm to save labor. I am not completly happy with the powder coating in 9mm yet.

Ben,

I have mixed my first batch of your tumble lube mix and I am very impressed. It seems to work just as well as liquid Alox or 45-45-10 on my low velocity ammunition (less than 1200 FPS). I tried it on some Lyman 30841 in .30/30 these were lubed with Ben's Red, sized to .311 gas checks were the last of my supply of old style Lyman gas checks. Load is my standard for 30/30; 14 grains of SR. 4759, any large rifle primer, any case.

The target is 10 shots off hand at 50 yards, 1st five are no tumble lube, 2nd five in one hole were tumble lubed in addition to Ben's red. The bore started clean and this 99 Savage carbine tends to take 7 to 10 rounds of cast to settle down. I wanted to make sure there would be no point of impact shift. There was none and the rifle settled down sooner to. My only advice is to use about ten times less than you think you need of this new tumble lube. It gives a wonderful hard waxy coat similar to the coating on some Eley .22 match ammunition I have. If you use too much it takes forever to dry. Too much is surprisingly little.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, when you've poured what you think is the correct amount on your cast bullets, you've probably already used 5X too much.

That is some great " off - hand shooting " that you've done there !

That's great.
    Thanks for the good report.

Ben

Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast