RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Grand Master
    Here are some of my RCBS , 7 mm, 145 gr cast bullets , sized .286" with my .014" AL g/c and rolled in Ben's LL.

RCBS , 38/357 , 148 gr. W/C, sized .358" rolled in Ben's LL. For someone that doesn't have a Lube-Sizer, this would keep their 38/357 revolver going with a minimum investment in $.

Boolit Master
    Wonderful! I ordered 2 cans to try it. I also wonder if this would make a good coating on blued steel to protect from water/rust/etc. It might take some of the 'pretty' away but the outside guns are for the working day....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    Wonderful! I ordered 2 cans to try it. I also wonder if this would make a good coating on blued steel to protect from water/rust/etc. It might take some of the 'pretty' away but the outside guns are for the working day....
    I doubt that you'd find much better for that purpose !

I'd bet on it.

Ben

Boolit Master

Humm Ben so you've been holding out on us for Two years??
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Humm Ben so you've been holding out on us for Two years??
    I didn't want any of you guys making C grade liquid bullet lube.

I wanted to be certain it was " RIGHT " before I shared the details of how to make the lube.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 11-20-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Made some the other day. Works as advertised. Hope to go to the range soon for the final tests

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Made some the other day. Works as advertised. Hope to go to the range soon for the final tests
    Keep us posted please.

Ben

Bet i've flipped back on this thread 20 or more times between last night and tonight just to look at those 7mm boolit pics. Nice!
    Makes me want the mold and i don't even have my little 7/08 anymore......

Boolit Grand Master
    35 shooter :

I'm toying around with a pair of 7 X 57 mm rifles now. Here is one that I tested with the RCBS 140 grainer several weeks ago.

I've been shooting several different 7 mm cast bullets in my new custom, Argentine 98 Mauser, 7 X 57 mm rifle during the past month, looking for " just the RIGHT load ".

I've shot the Lee 132 gr. soup can, the RCBS, 168 gr., the SAECO 073, and the RCBS 145 gr. Today I also fired about 30 rounds with the 175 gr. RN , Lyman 287308.

As of this date, the clear leader in the accuracy dept. is the RCBS , 145 gr., regardless of the powder used and velocity of the round .

I've yet to find a bullet / load combination at 100 yards that will beat it's performance in my particular rifle.

I fired this 10 shot group at 100 yards. I'll readily take the blame for the " 4 wild rounds ". Sloppy shooting on my behalf. However , that still leaves me with 6 rounds in a shade over 1/2 " ! ! ANY of the 10 rounds would have killed anything that I'm likely to be shooting at.

I find the accuracy potential of this rifle to be impressive considering that this is a super light weight hunting rifle.

A fun load, and a fun rifle to shoot !

( BTW, all powder charges were thrown with a SAECO powder measure, none were weighed, no bullets were weighed, mixed HS brass, all cases were neck sized and fired about 6 - 7 times each )

Ben

The target you see below was shot with :

Alliant Unique 11.0 grs., RCBS 145 gr., Sized .2864" with an OAL of 3.065" , using Wolf Large Rifle Primers. Neck sized brass. 10 round group fired at 100 yards.

6 rounds in a shade over 1/2 " Range 100 yards

Last edited by Ben; 11-21-2014 at 10:51 AM.

lol your not making it any easier on me, that's for sure!

That is one good looking rifle and a shooter to boot. Like the front rest you made too.
    I may wind up with one of these molds and just cast boolits with it a while, then go buy that little Ruger 7x57 i just happen to know about.
    Not too sure what my whelen would think of that though!

Boolit Grand Master
    As I mentioned earlier, I've experimented with about 6 - 7 different 7 mm cast bullets in my two 7X57 mm rifles.

The RCBS 140 is the clear champ in my two.

Obviously, other 7 mm rifles may have other preferences based on throat dia., lead, bore dimensions, etc.

I have no idea what it would do on a deer, but with the accuracy I'm getting with this bullet it would be about as easy to place a bullet as it would be with someone's .22 cal. varmint rifle.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganmike View Post
    PERFORMS AS ADVERTIZED:

Yesterday I cast about 120 bullets for my 40 S&W, using the Lee TL401 SWC mould. It indicates that it will yield a 175 gr. bullet. Using wheel weights mine were 182 grains +/- 2 grains. I inspect them every time I handle them, so by the time I was all done, I was down to 98 keepers.

Some have told me I am too picky - a little OCD when it comes to my bullets. But I have only myself to satisfy. And I like to pick up a bullet I made and feel good enough about what I see to give a little smile of pleasure and satisfaction for a job well done.

Next, I bought a 22 oz. can of S C Johnson liquid floor wax at Home Depot earlier this evening. It was $6.48 + the 6% Michigan sales tax. I've no doubt it will last me as long as I am casting bullets. With that, and the Lee Liquid Alox I mixed up some of Ben's Liquid Lube.

After the first coat dried - quite quickly - I ran the bullets through my Lee sizing die and coated them again. They are drying as I write.

Observations:

1. The lube seems to go a lot farther than even the Lee lube I use diluted with mineral spirits.
    2. The lube appears to be evenly distributed - no thick spots or globs.
    3. For those who don't mind tumble lubing I believe this is the way to go, especially if you buy a quart of the While Label Liquid X-Lox you will likely be set for life at a very reasonable price.
    4. I am going to try this in my 7mm-08 at around 1600 fps. I have done this already with the Lee Liquid Alox thinned with mineral spirits with no leading. The Ben's Liquid Lube has the added benefit of a wax of some sort that the plain mineral spirits does not have.
    5. Last but not least - there is NO smell of melting grease, bees wax and other ingredients that go into making Ben's Red. That job really needs to be done outside the odor really lingers.

If I remember, I will let you know how they shoot.

MichiganMike
    In response to your # 5 above :

With all the instructions that I've ever distributed related to making Ben's Red, I've begged people not to try and make Ben's Red inside your home.

Thank you Ben,

I don't believe my search yielded your original directions, but your directions as repeated by another caster - and your warning wasn't included. OR, just as likely, I did not read as carefully as I needed to.

Anyway, I mixed up my batch in my basement shop, directly under a window, in which I had mounted a fairly powerful exhaust fan. It wasn't powerful enough to eliminate all of the odor.

If I ever make it again, it will be outside. "Verbum sat sat sapienti est." (A word to the wise is sufficient.)

Thank you again for your simple, easy SC Johnsons liquid floor wax/ Lee Liquid Alox recipe!

MichiganMike

Boolit Grand Master
    MichiganMike :

I'm sorry if I may have come across as abrasive ?

However, I've spent many hours and printed an awful lot of information here on the forum about Ben's Red ( The DO's and DON'Ts ).

Seems that with the MANY PM's that I get each week, that a lot of people don't seem to do much to try and learn about the lube. ( Unlike you did, as I know that you tried to learn about it )

We now have one of the best search engines going here on this forum, of course it does take some time for people to search , read, and learn.

Some will do that , some won't do that.

Some will look for a quick and easy way to do things without them having to invest too much effort of their own.

I do hope that you'll enjoy using both Ben's Red and Ben's Liquid Lube.
    Last edited by Ben; 11-22-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Great idea Ben. Mixing the floor wax and Allox together.
    I've had a bottle of the liquid floor wax for a few years now. Played around with using it much like you are for a bullet nose lube.
    Plus using it as a coating on hard bullets before sizing to help get them through the size die without deforming. Just has to be greatly better with the two product blended together. In my cabinet the Lee Alox and Liquid J Wax are setting inches away from one another. This is one of those , dugh why didn't I think of that moments.

One boolit I coat noses on is the Lyman #225646 with those micro small groves in the nose. Shooting them out of a 24 inch barrel 222 Rem I never have a to much lube problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I've had a bottle of the liquid floor wax for a few years now. Played around with using it much like you are for a bullet nose lube.
    Plus using it as a coating on hard bullets before sizing to help get them through the size die without deforming. Just has to be greatly better with the two product blended together. In my cabinet the Lee Alox and Liquid J Wax are setting inches away from one another. This is one of those , dugh why didn't I think of that moments.

One boolit I coat noses on is the Lyman #225646 with those micro small groves in the nose. Shooting them out of a 24 inch barrel 222 Rem I never have a to much lube problem.
    I hope you have good success with the lube.

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Ben

Boolit Master

Since it was initially developed as a solution to the long, unlubed bore ride nose problem, I suggest we call it Ben's Liquid Ogive Overcoating Dip - or "BLOOD" for short.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Ben,

You are a gentleman. We weren't abrasive at all. I had a good laugh at myself. That's all.

MichiganMike

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Since it was initially developed as a solution to the long, unlubed bore ride nose problem...
    Oddly enough, I just mixed a batch today and dipped the noses of a few loaded rounds that I didn't think had enough lube.

Thanks for the recipe, Ben.

Finally got around to making a mix ....
    while letting some of my .402 HP's dry ... I thought , what the heck ... already had ten .308 loaded with the lyman 311332's .
    Pulled two out of the bunch and "dipped" them in the mix ... let them drip dry .
    These are not crimped ... just a thought , for long term storage , some manufactures "seal" the rounds at the boolet and primer ......
    any how tumbled a few more checked and lubed already with Ben's red ... letting them dry now.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast