RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Master
    Well, mixed up my first batch today. I had to go up on the liquid wax just a touch from the directions as my ALOX was a bit thicker than it needed to be. Mine probably wound up being more like 50/50 than 60/40. I'll lube some up tonight or tomorrow and give them a try. I like this better than 45-45-10 already, no cooking involved, just a little eyeball math and shaking the ALOX bottle to get it all out.

Perma-Banned

Well, I had my first failure with the new T/L lube. I shot 25rds loaded with 429421 bullets lubed with 2 coats of the new T/L in a Cimarron Mod P in 44 special. These bullets were loaded with 7.2grs of Unique and fired,this is a powder charge and bullet this gun likes. Upon completion of firing these rounds, an inspection showed considerable leading throughout the barrel. I immediately lubed another 25rds with 45-45-10, let them dry, and fired them the next day with no leading at all.

So, after success in the other guns and failure in this gun, I am left with the conclusion that apparently barrels can have a preference for lube just as they can for bullets and powder...I guess it makes sense, although I am surprised at the results.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 01-27-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    ?????????????

Ben

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    ?????????????

Ben
    I have no clue, other than what I said as to my conclusion.

Perma-Banned

I have, now, had back to back failures with the new lube in the Cimarron...shot it twice, with the same result.

Conclusion...Cimarron doesn't like the new lube.

Banned

"Conclusion...Cimarron doesn't like the new lube."

There are other possible "conclusions"
    Size of bullet, alloy, powder charge,etc.

Boolit Grand Master
    shoot-n-lead

Penicillin has been a wonderful drug for many years. Works for a large percentage of the population.

Doesn't work for everyone however.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-29-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Well this was my favorite range find ever, I have no idea what it hit first to rest in a spot like it did, but it was sure fun to find.

This is lubed with the new Ben's LL and is a very hot load in 44.

Shoots great, and has left my bore bright and shiny with zero leading.

DanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1810.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	128991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	128992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1809.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	128993

Boolit Grand Master
    That is a great photo. Looks like it was shot into 4 tons of marshmallows.

Ben

Tried Ben's LL today in my 35 whelen. First at 50 yds. with a 280 gr. pb boolit and 12 gr. of unique for a chronoed 1270 fps. First shot was a flyer as i shot the LL right after firing a group with straight Ben's Red. Then it settled right down. I fired 5 shots on 9 power, other than the first shot , the next 4 went into .386". Then i shot the two i had left at 3 power and they went a bit lower for . 861"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	128987
    No they weren't going through sideways lol. There was a 6" wide by 2' high spot shot out of the cardboard it was taped too and the paper was just tearing and folding back.

Then i tried 54 gr. of imr 4350 and a 280 gr. noe gc boolit @ 2200 fps. @ 100 yds. First two shots hit high at the top of the target 1.109" apart. I made an adjustment down for the next three and shot into a hard crossing wind for 1.102" a bit to the right. This load always shoots 1.5" or better with straight Ben's Red so i was pleased with the results of the Ben's Red with an overcoat of the LL. I made the sight adj. because i thought i might shoot over the top of the target and only had the 5 shots for that load...in hind sight i see i need'nt have worried.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	128994

Next up was 48 gr. of imr 4350 for 1950 fps. with the 280 gr. gc boolit @ 100 yds. Naturally it hit much lower on the target so i fired all 5 at the same setting. All 5 went into 1.344". 2 shots were fired on the calm wind and went centered and cut into each other and the next three were fired into that same hard crossing right wind.
    Not making excuses but rather illustrating how hard it is for the wind to affect that big 280 gr. boolit very much. I made no attempt to adjust for the wind and it still shot great. Again, this load shoots into 1.5" or less with straight Ben's Red also.
    One patch through the bore and it was shining again. Of course no leading either, but the johnson's wax added a bit of extra shine to the bore.

Thanks Ben!

Btw the 48 and 54 gr loads also had Sagebrush7's new .010 "hard" checks on the bases. They flat held the rifling.
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 01-30-2015 at 12:04 AM.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    "Conclusion...Cimarron doesn't like the new lube."

There are other possible "conclusions"
    Size of bullet, alloy, powder charge,etc.

No, the conclusion is that it doesn't like the new lube. As I stated in first post, this is THE choice load for this gun and it gives no leading problems at all using 45-45-10. If it liked this lube, it would yield a clean barrel like it does when 45-45-10 is used...the lube is the only different component.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 01-30-2015 at 01:54 AM.

Perma-Banned

shoot-n-lead

Penicillin has been a wonderful drug for many years. Works for a large percentage of the population.

Doesn't work for everyone however.

Ben
    Good analogy Ben...and I agree.
    Funny that you mention this as I am allergic to penicillin.

At any rate, it has worked in the others, so I consider this to be an anomaly.

Boolit Buddy
    That is a great photo. Looks like it was shot into 4 tons of marshmallows.

Ben
    Four tons of marshmallows. That's funny stuff!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Tried Ben's LL today in my 35 whelen. First at 50 yds. with a 280 gr. pb boolit and 12 gr. of unique for a chronoed 1270 fps. First shot was a flyer as i shot the LL right after firing a group with straight Ben's Red. Then it settled right down. I fired 5 shots on 9 power, other than the first shot , the next 4 went into .386". Then i shot the two i had left at 3 power and they went a bit lower for . 861"Click image for larger version. 

No they weren't going through sideways lol. There was a 6" wide by 2' high spot shot out of the cardboard it was taped too and the paper was just tearing and folding back.

Then i tried 54 gr. of imr 4350 and a 280 gr. noe gc boolit @ 2200 fps. @ 100 yds. First two shots hit high at the top of the target 1.109" apart. I made an adjustment down for the next three and shot into a hard crossing wind for 1.102" a bit to the right. This load always shoots 1.5" or better with straight Ben's Red so i was pleased with the results of the Ben's Red with an overcoat of the LL. I made the sight adj. because i thought i might shoot over the top of the target and only had the 5 shots for that load...in hind sight i see i need'nt have worried.Click image for larger version. 

Next up was 48 gr. of imr 4350 for 1950 fps. with the 280 gr. gc boolit @ 100 yds. Naturally it hit much lower on the target so i fired all 5 at the same setting. All 5 went into 1.344". 2 shots were fired on the calm wind and went centered and cut into each other and the next three were fired into that same hard crossing right wind.
    Not making excuses but rather illustrating how hard it is for the wind to affect that big 280 gr. boolit very much. I made no attempt to adjust for the wind and it still shot great. Again, this load shoots into 1.5" or less with straight Ben's Red also.
    One patch through the bore and it was shining again. Of course no leading either, but the johnson's wax added a bit of extra shine to the bore.

Thanks Ben!

Btw the 48 and 54 gr loads also had Sagebrush7's new .010 "hard" checks on the bases. They flat held the rifling.

Boy that is some great shooting. Can't remember who said it, but it reminds me of a saying, something to the effect of "only accurate rifles are interesting". Looks like you have a deadly combo there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Good analogy Ben...and I agree.
    Funny that you mention this as I am allergic to penicillin.

At any rate, it has worked in the others, so I consider this to be an anomaly.
    It is hard to say ( and fully explain ) why it works in some situations and doesn't in others.

I've also read about shooters who have tried straight Lee Liquid Alox and experienced leading, others use it in similar / or identical situations and say they have zero problems.

Who knows ? ?

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Ben!

That is some fine shooting ! !

I still like Ben's Red with an overcoat of Ben's Liquid Lube on some of my rifle loads. It is a good combination.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by NLS1 View Post
    Boy that is some great shooting. Can't remember who said it, but it reminds me of a saying, something to the effect of "only accurate rifles are interesting". Looks like you have a deadly combo there.
    Thanks and your right about the deadly part. I took two deer with that 2200fps. load last weekend. Both deer left a blood trail that looked like it had been poured out of a bucket on the run.
    The first one ran about 30 yds. straight to me. The next day the second deer made it almost 100 yds. The bloodtrail was over a foot wide almost all the way to the deer. Then the last ten yds. it was still a solid 3 to 4" wide trail right up to her. That noe 358009 280 gr. rn boolit is awesome! So is the Ben's Red lube i used on the boolits i shot em with.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wouldn't it be interesting to see the game animals in a pile that the 009' has accounted for through the years.

Ben

Wouldn't it be interesting to see the game animals in a pile that the 009' has accounted for through the years.

Ben
    Yes it would be. For as long as that boolit has been around from what i've read, it was always a popular choice. Gotta be one big pile!! It certainly is a "go any where" "hunt anything" type of bullet for the .35's. Lol i intend to add to the pile again next year.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes it would be. For as long as that boolit has been around from what i've read, it was always a popular choice. Gotta be one big pile!! It certainly is a "go any where" "hunt anything" type of bullet for the .35's. Lol i intend to add to the pile again next year.
    Good for you.

Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast