RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Lead

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    How much other battery sourced lead have you used without knowing? Lead from batteries smelted over 20 years ago is likely safe.
    The warnings about battery lead from today's production is well heeded.
    Maintenance free batteries hit the market in 1970 (just googled it). 1970 was a little more than 20 years ago by well over twice. That the alloy sat there for 20 years means little, the metals used to make the alloy aren't going to evaporate and are still in the alloy. The combination of the components in the alloy and the percentages of them when melted is what produces the gases that are dangerous.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Hello again.

So if I were to give this stuff a try:

Any idea what the composition and hardness of this lead might be?

Regards,

Lee

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer303 View Post
    Are Battery terminals pure lead?
    No.
    a couple years ago, I bought (3) five gallon buckets full of automotive battery connection terminals from a auto recycler. Most of these had a short piece of insulated copper wire and a plastic 'hood'. SO, even though I cut as much plastic insulation off as possible, it was a stinky/smoky mess to smelt. I tested most of the batches I smelted, the BHN was a point higher than the usual COWW, that I smelt. (13 as opposed to 12).
    Good Luck,
    Jon

PS, the good part about it, was the fairly large about of copper I was able to recover and sell to a metals scraper.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cruisor View Post
    Hello again.

So if I were to give this stuff a try:

Any idea what the composition and hardness of this lead might be?

Regards,

Lee
    Lee,
    I think it's foolish to 'give it a try', I assume you mean casting boolits with it ?

alloy composition:
    http://www.engineersedge.com/battery...n_alloying.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Well guys after considering this a bit more I think I'll just leave this lead be and find something else to use.

When I see the word FREE I kinda get blinded in both eyes and my mind goes blank so to speak. The negatives are just to many and after reading the link JonB provided there are just to many risks involved.

I guess it'll just have to set a bit longer. I am going to call the local recycler though and see what lead is going for these days. If it's worth enough I'll go ahead and recycle it. My friend said he'd load it up with the tractor so I won't have to handle it. He'll be free of it and I might get enough to purchase some "ready made lead" that won't be a mystery composition.

Thanks for all the great comments/thoughts. It's been enlightening for me and I hope others.

Lee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer303 View Post
    Are Battery terminals pure lead?
    No.

They test BNH 10
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    cruisor.............after all you have read on here from people that actually know what they are talking about and all articles that say it is dangerous stuff.....and you still want to "give it a try"? .....does not compute Will Robinson......

No one is THAT desperate for lead, even if it is free! Sell it for scrap and buy good lead.

Please, put the site in your will if you proceed!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Handling it isn't the problem, just with any lead wash your hands after handling it. The more surface oxidation there is on it the more need to thoroughly wash your hands, it's been sitting outside for years so it'll be oxidized. It's melting battery lead where the problems are.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Hi BangerJim

No I decided to leave it alone as far as casting any of it. However with the offer to load it with a tractor and maybe recycle it I might do this.

Would seem to be a win-win so to speak. I looked up what lead is going for at recycling plant and it was over .55 a pound.

Seems there is over 600 pounds of it so would have enough to get some lead compounded for casting bullets.

Best of all I wouldn't have to touch it at all and I have a nice metal pallet I have stored out behind the shed I need to rid myself of as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisor View Post
    Hi BangerJim

No I decided to leave it alone as far as casting any of it. However with the offer to load it with a tractor and maybe recycle it I might do this.

Would seem to be a win-win so to speak. I looked up what lead is going for at recycling plant and it was over .55 a pound.

Seems there is over 600 pounds of it so would have enough to get some lead compounded for casting bullets.

Best of all I wouldn't have to touch it at all and I have a nice metal pallet I have stored out behind the shed I need to rid myself of as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Good show! That is the way to do it!

That is some good pocket change to play with.

banger

Boolit Master
    Doesn't that old guy (90+ years) know that it is harmful and could shorten your life?

Sounds like hauling it to the scrap yard is a win-win the gentleman that currently has it gets rid of several hundred pounds of semi-toxic junk and you get the scrap price to spend on good lead. I would jump on that even if I had to move it by hand, wear a mask and throw out my gloves afterwards.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Doesn't that old guy (90+ years) know that it is harmful and could shorten your life?
    Are you trying to point out that the last guy to handle the stuff, despite all the hazards mentioned here, has made it past age 90?

I'd say not so hazardous to HIM...

Boolit Bub
    I want to thank all you folks who responded. It made making a decision much easier and safer when your aware of the potential safety problems. I'm just waiting for an opportunity to get together with my friend now and get it moved. I'll post once more and let you know if it was all worth it in the end!!

Regards,

Boolit Bub
    I just wanted to fill in some spaces about my friend. He grew up here in this area and has worked, farmed, speculated on land and been a part of this small community through his lifetime. The stories he has told me of how he grew up here in "this neck of the woods" is amazingly interesting. A picture of his fathers gun collection would absolutely astound you. We're talking genuine long guns of the black powder sort. His home place has been the scene of many gathering of both Confederate and Union soldiers and many others. The grounds and home place have been preserved and to his day are still the scene of many gatherings. When dams were completed here in the state he purchased a lot of the left over materials and resold them. Some of the stuff was in amazing quantities as he described it.

Anyway I guess I'm kinda bragging up my friend because he's not only a very nice guy he's led an interesting life. A hard working American way of life.

Regards,

Lee

Boolit Master

Lee - that lead has already been smelted. Take one plate to the recycler and let him do a test to determine what the components are. They may have been melted down 40 years ago - the old timer may not be up to snuff on time measure. >MY< memory got shot off in the war - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it - and when someone asks me How long ago did THAT happen, I estimate. The Old-Timer might be estimating, too...
    And use gloves, if you think you should...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Mold
    dont touch battery lead! melting it will release loads of toxic fumes. there's a reason that stuff is processed outside of the US.

if already smelted and in bars what hazard is there? the hazards where over when smelted no?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
    if already smelted and in bars what hazard is there? the hazards where over when smelted no?
    What about the possibility that there is still acid in the lead or other impurities that could cause corrosion in your barrel?

Moderator Emeritus

Even smelted modern battery lead can release nasty kill you fumes when remelted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast