Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: what powder measure doesn't leak?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    easier answer would be which does leak. LEE
    Every measure I have leaks w/ one powder or another. The biggest culprit is usually H110. It leaks the least out of the PAD. Barely leaks out of the PPM. Haven't tried it in my second AutoDrum but it leaked badly out of the first one. It leaks out of the three Dillon's I have. It leaks out of the RCBS I have. So basically it leaks out of every single measure. I don't think I've tried it in the Classic Cast PM. Maybe that's the one

I've had a bunch of others in the past and got rid of them because they weren't consistent. I have no need for an inconsistent measure even if it doesn't leak.

Banned

never had 110 leak out of my Dillon or hornady measures. Never used it in my rcbs because its bench mounted and used with only rifle powders. It was an absolute mess to use back in my younger dumber days of loading on a pro1000 and promaster.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by c1skout View Post
    I spent over an hour on my measure. First I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol to remove all the graphite and trace powder. Then I started lapping it. The first time I recleaned it to inspect I could see where I had 2 low spots in the cone of the measure body, and one large low spot in the rotor cone, directly above and in line with the volume adjuster's hole. After a couple more lap and clean cycles I've eliminated the low spots in the measure body, but the one in the rotor is just too deep, I would be out of wear material on the cones before this dip is gone. I put it back together and it's no better, but it's no worse either.

I had the exact same results, but it scary accurate!

Boolit Buddy

I had a lee autodrum that leaked a little bit and I was pretty unimpressed by that. A grain of powder, even tiny ball powder is pretty large compared to machine tolerances and I feel a company should be able to make a drum/cylinder to tolerance as to avoid a grain of powder working it's way out. The lee powder measure did work and throw accurate charges, but the leak was fairly annoying to me even though it was probably only cents worth of powder over a few hundred rounds.

To answer your question: I moved on to nicer things and have used an ohaus duo-measure, redding master and hornady (current think that comes with the lnl ap) and none of them leaked a single grain of powder, it all went out the drop tube. So, I think this is specific to lee's manufacturing methods. Their stuff usually works adequately, but will annoy you in one way or the other soon enough.

If you're wanting to move to another measure I would say that the ohaus (ebay) or the hornady current model have worked great for me. I hear great things about the redding BR3 but it is pricey of course.

Boolit Buddy
    Only leakers I've had were Lee and shotshell bars. All others like rcbs, lyman, dillon, redding, belding have been good.

Boolit Master
    After trimming the risers and lapping, my Lee Pro auto disk doesnt leak even with AA5. Neither of my uniflows leak at the drum. The Lyman 55 didnt leak. Drum type measures are not as prone to leakage as the disk type measures are.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234