WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lee Bashing.....NOT

Boolit Grand Master

Why would you say that? Are you assuming I'm not smart enough? You already said if anyone doesn't have LEE tools they don't know reloading. So it's because they're not smart enough they can't make them work?-cbrick

No, I didn't say you're not smart enough. We all know better than that. I'm assuming nothing, I'm using your preferences to prove a point. Just because Lee tools work for me doesn't mean they work for everyone.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Actually there are LEE reloading tools that I recommend fairly often. Not molds but the push through sizers, handles etc. I have never said anything negative about LEE reloading tools. LEE molds? That's a horse of a different color.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I'll admit I've apparently had a good run of luck with Lee moulds but I can't make a set of Lee dies work, no idea why. Been reloading for over 30 years but only casting for a few, have no idea why some stuff works for some follks and not for others. I like their sizers and handles too, even a pretty big fan of their trimming system. Their Zip Trim system looks like a silly pull toy but it works quite well for me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    lee is still the best value kit around

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    lee is still the best value kit around
    For some that is no doubt true.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Have a Lyman 4 cav 148 gr. WC mold. Casts a great blt, but weighs a whole lot more than a 6 cav lee with 150 gr. blts. The older I get the more I appreciate convenience and alum molds.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    The truth is, when I use something that works perfect I don't have to come on here and tell everyone on here about it, I paid good money and I expect it to work perfect ie: Star, Redding, Saeco, RCBS, etc........ Lee users get on here anytime something goes right.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    The truth is, when I use something that works perfect I don't have to come on here and tell everyone on here about it, I paid good money and I expect it to work perfect ie: Star, Redding, Saeco, RCBS, etc........ Lee users get on here anytime something goes right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super_smilies007.gif 
Views:	188 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	120995

That's funny. Why is it so funny? Because it's so true.

I read very few threads with LEE in the title because most of them are identical. They read - I have this LEE _____ (fill in tool here), how do I make it work. That's followed by several pages of what great tools they are.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

I'm a tool for even reading all of this thread...
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Master
    The thread is here for your amusement.

Banned
    By the tone of some posters, I'm not sure I even want to get involved with this, but here goes anyway. On my bench, I have Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, CH4D, Redding, and several other brands. For molds, I have Lee, Lyman, RCBS, SAECO, H&G, Palmetto (from the old Dixie Gunworks days), and a couple others. Guess what? They all work! Every mold, just like every firearm, differs in what works best with that particular tool. Learn what each responds to, and troubles will be greatly minimized.

Boolit Grand Master

By the tone of some posters, I'm not sure I even want to get involved with this, but here goes anyway.-Charley

It's a matter of expectations, IMHO. Quite frankly at this point I'm not a good enough caster or shooter to take full advantage of everything a high quality mould has to offer. I do have a number of the higher quality moulds but the Lee moulds I have meet my needs in most cases. Most are Ranch Dog moulds and I firmly believe Michael was able to hold Lee to a bit higher standard than their norm. I marvel at the value represented by a $20 Lee 2-cavity mould. My friend cbrick has higher expectations and is a much better caster and shooter than I am. Rick evidently has no use for Lee moulds because they would hold him back from his goals, they don't meet his expectations. I don't have a problem with that. I have similar issues with Lee loading dies even though admittedly my sample size was quite small. I prefer to buy RCBS, Dillon or Redding dies because I know they are top shelf and since they'll likely outlast me I don't mind paying a bit more for a higher quality.
    Other companies may in some cases make better tools than Lee but if all my Lee tools were to disappear tonight I wouldn't get much casting or loading done. I appreciate the value represented by Lee tools but quite honestly the price is secondary to the quality and innovative design in many cases....but that's JMHO. If you disagree I'm OK with that. I'm here for adult discussions of boolit casting and I find it difficult to learn from somebody I agree with 100% of the time. I have immense respect for Rick and several other members of this forum, even if I do aggravate him from time to time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut;
    Rick evidently has no use for Lee moulds because they would hold him back from his goals, they don't meet his expectations.
    Expectations? It's like I said in post #40.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick; Post #40
    As for making LEE tools work, I don't buy any tool to "make them work". I buy tools to use them, not mess with them until I can make them work. Rick
    I've had LEE molds, each one was worse than the last. Could I make them work? Of course but that's the wrong question. The question should be . . . Was it worth it to MAKE them work? For me the answer to that is no and I've bought my last LEE mold quite a few years ago.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

There are at least two lee tools i won't be without. One is the hand held press, the other is the universal flaring tool. All my reloads are assembled with the lee hand press now and i like being able to load anywhere with it.
    The groups are just as good with the hand press as with my rcbs rock chucker. Works great for working up loads at the range.
    At least in my case, i got much more value than i paid for...lol i do try not to drop my press though. I only have one lee mould, so jury is still out on that for me so far....seems like they can't see daylight through it when it's closed but i can.
    They sent it back in the same shape i sent it to them in. Looks like i'll have to fix that myself.
    Most accurate boolit i've shot from my derringer so far though just like it is.

Boolit Master
    I guess I am way too odd the man out. Yes I own more Lee tools than anything else (no I don't have to MAKE them work they work fine). And I have rarely had a issue with a Lee mold, but I know others who have. That being said my single stage press is a RCBS. My dies are combinations of Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, etc. I do prefer Lee Classic Loaders for most of my work, but resizing is best done (for me) in a press. I do own molds other than Lee. I have at least one RCBS die set (30 Remington) that has been replaced by RCBS MULTIPLE times and STILL has issues. Does that mean all RCBS is junk? Heck no. But it did sour me enough on them and the customer service issues I had that when the next die set came up to buy it was a Hornady New Dimension set, NOT a RCBS set. Why wasn't it a Lee? Well I have had zero issues with Lee with straight and tapper wall cases. BUT after using a Hornady New Dimension set for .270 Win I just started buying them for any bottlenecks, particularly after the 30 Rem RCBS issue. Lee makes great and MUCH less expensive shell holders for many calibers. BUT I have had a couple of calibers where the Lee shell holder just wasn't right and so I bought what was right.

Bear in mind that any given machinist for any given company can have a bad day just like we can. Doesn't mean the whole company is garbage. I think there is far too much Lee bashing around, and I think there is far too much praise for many companies that don't really deserve it. But in the end to each his own. If it works for you it does, if it doesn't it doesn't.

I think guys are reading alot into each others posts, and I think everybody has a bit of a raw **** and a chip on their shoulder now and then depending on topic. I just hate that all the pics got pulled down before I got a chance to drool over them.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    Lee tools got me into casting. I fed my IPSC needs for two years with a pair of Lee two cavity moulds and the ten pound lead pot. Lee allows a cash strapped youngster with two young daughters and a VA mortgage to get started. Lee single cavity mould, pan lubing and a "beat" thru size die

Are there better tools? Yup! I have them now.

I just gave that lead pot and several Lee two cavity moulds and a Star lube sizer, and a lot of advice to the grandfather of my great grand daughter. He's turning out some great boolits and is hooked for life!
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master

I have mostly Lee tools, and lots of Lee molds. I don't have a problem with a $20 or $35 dollar mold with slight fixable issues. I DO have a problem with a $125 mold that has issues. I have a NOE 5 cavity with a single sticky cavity, I rarely use the mold so it isn't really worth it to me to do anything about it. I have 2 A.C.E 6 cavity molds, one was damaged during production and QC didn't catch it. The replacement was the wrong diameter, AFTER I made sure Josh knew which diameter I wanted before the replacement was agreed to. With a $20 or $35 dollar mold you expect to have to leement them, I've only had to do that with a couple of mine. For the majority they work better than those 2 custom molds at considerable more cost.

Yes, I have priming problems on my LoadMaster, but it works well with that one exception and is amazingly fast now that I'm using the Hornady bullet (boolit) feed die with my PC boolits. My Pro1000 works flawlessly, my 4-20 drips occasionally but not bad, and it is a number of years old now. All my Lee dies work as well as the others but I don't use the FCD for pistols, but do for rifle rounds.

Boolit Master
    I have several of the 6 cavity molds that I use when I cast plinking bullets, they all work fine and do what I want, I also have numerous sets of LEE dies that seem to for the past 20 years reload accurate ammunition for me. I always tell a new reloader to start with LEE equipment as it does get the job done for a small initial investment!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Without LEE I would not be casting or reloading.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    LEE offers an inexpensive, entry-level option, for most reloading related necessities. Many new hobbiests get started, with one aspect or another, using LEE equipment because of the minimal investment.
    LEE should be appreciated for that fact alone.
    To attempt comparing LEE with almost ANY other manufacturer of reloading equipment, of any type, is inviting redicule... It's difficult NOT to be able to find a better alternative to anything LEE offers, if the price point isn't the determining factor.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast