Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An affordable .22 revolver???

My suggestion would be a H & R ot a Iver Johnson 22 lr revolver.Both are easy to find and inexpensive. I just bought a mint H&R 9 shot revolver for 200 bucks and shoots great. I personally like the Sportsman breakopen revolver but they run a little bit more money.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1950 View Post
    My suggestion would be a H & R ot a Iver Johnson 22 lr revolver.Both are easy to find and inexpensive. I just bought a mint H&R 9 shot revolver for 200 bucks and shoots great. I personally like the Sportsman breakopen revolver but they run a little bit more money.
    I'll second this. I bought my 999 Sportsman for $200 at a pawn shop years ago and it is my favorite .22 and I have a Convertable Single Six as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    The Ruger SP101 is an well made and durable revolver. With minimal "slicking" (that can be done by an owner with minimal mechanical ability), and a drop-in spring kit, the trigger is excellent. Accuracy is fantastic, as well. My SP101s are among my favorite revolvers, and I am a MAJOR wheelgun fanatic.

I have seen far too many Taurus revolvers with problems (eight years as a range officer & three more managing one of the biggest sporting goods departments in Wyoming) to ever recommend them again. The last rimfire DA Taurus I worked with shaved lead so badly that only about 3/4 of the bullet made it down the barrel! It got sent back, and 9 months later, the owner is still waiting for it.

In Remembrance
    Delete, wrong thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Mercy View Post
    The Ruger SP101 is an well made and durable revolver. With minimal "slicking" (that can be done by an owner with minimal mechanical ability), and a drop-in spring kit, the trigger is excellent. Accuracy is fantastic, as well. My SP101s are among my favorite revolvers, and I am a MAJOR wheelgun fanatic.
    You beat me to it. My vote is also for a SP101 in .22LR. If you take your time you can find a used one and they are generally in very good condition. Springs & judicious stoning do wonders for a Ruger DA. While it is often possible to find other brands of DA .22 revolvers for a little less money, the Ruger is almost always a safe bet.

I will go along with the other guys also and say that the Ruger Sp101 for the money is a great little 22 revolver. I put a spring kit in mine and have just shot it. I had a Taurus 992 that shaved the lead and the grip was terrible. I sold it and bought the Ruger. I have several of the sp 101's and they are a great pistol. Hogue also makes a great wood grip for the sp101 that really changes the way they feel. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Master
    They made an SP–101 in 22 with a 4 inch barrel fairly recently. You should be able to find one in the $525-$550 range.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...-8_8rd_22lr_42

They are out of stock, but you get the idea.

Llama made a decent double action 22lr if you can find them. Taurus Tracker is another decent 22. I wish the Raging Bee was still produced

Boolit Master
    HI...

I was looking for a good quality .22LR revolver last summer.
    I really like the S&W 17 platform, but the price for new seems a bit much and used models seem to command almost the same tariff.

I was about ready to buy a Ruger SA in stainless. It would have been primarily a paper puncher and an occasional squirrel and groundhog getter.

On a whim, my son and I stopped at a local gun show and I stumbled across a private dealer who had a Dan Wesson DA .22LR revolver for $450.
    An excellent revolver and very accurate. I have about 500 rounds through it now and it has shot about 6 different bullet styles from various manufacturers at varying velocities with no problem. The longest distance I have shot it so far is 25yds and it is definitely capable of making head shots on a squirrel at that range if I have a good rest.

When the spring shooting season starts, it will be evaluated to see which ammo it likes best out to 50yds.
    I really like this revolver a lot...money well spent.

I am also still looking at a Ruger SA in .22LR/22Mag in stainless with a 9-1/2" barrel and a standard front sight(no fiber optic) as a second rimfire revolver. I really prefer the added impact and terminal effects of the .22Mag on groundhogs, so I suppose I will just have to bite the bullet and buy another rimfire handgun.

It truly never ends, does it?

I wrassled with that same question, in 2008.

My decision was Charter Pathfinder, so I bought a then newly-introduced 4" stainless dual cylinder (LR.WMR) @ $400, and a blued steel 1970's 3" .22WMR (only) @ $250.

That decision hasn't failed my expectations yet.

Boolit Buddy

I have the Ruger sp-101 ...nice piece all around for my use... but be fore warned it is on the smallish side for those with big mitts.

Boolit Man

I like my High Standard double nine, looks like a single action but has both single and double action capability. Also picked up a Sentinel, that has a very hard double action trigger pull but excellent single action trigger pull. I'm more than pleased with both of them.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Cmm_3940 View Post
    Does anyone have both a High Standard Sentinel and an LCR to compare the two directly? I have a Sentinel, but can't recommend it. It has an aluminum frame with a sprayed-on blue finish. The cylinder immediately developed a white line from the pawl the first time it was fired. The barrel is pinned into the frame. The trigger is bad enough that I would not try to hit anything with it from more than ~15 yds away. Yes, they are out there, and cheap, but I couldn't bring myself to recommend one.
    Just a couple of notes on the High Standard Sentinel: Unlike Cmm_3940, I have owned many .22 Sentinels over the years and find them to be excellent, US-made revolvers. Why "many"? Because I like them and search them out at gun shows! At the moment, DW and I have three of them. The double-action trigger is very stiff, but its single action trigger pull is a delight. Yes, the frames are an aluminum alloy, but there is no attempt to conceal this by the manufacturer. It does have a protective coating - as it should - but it's not a "spray on blue." High Standard manufactured the Sentinel for Sears many years ago and branded them as the "J.C. Higgins Model 88." Same gun, different name and slightly different grips. Whereas a High Standard Sentinel in good condition often sells for around $250, I have found the Model 88 for as little as $125 recently. Most people don't realize that it's the same gun. These little revolvers are strong, accurate and very lightweight. I think they're the perfect camp, trapline or kit gun...and they won't break the bank.

Now I come to a bit of a mystery. Over the past year or two I have been seeing what appear to be brand new High Standard Sentinels at the gun shows, but these are finished differently and executed a bit more crudely. Since the Sentinel/Model 88 hasn't been produced since the 1950s and 1960s, I find this to be inexplicable and my questioning has brought no satifactory answers. Could it be that some Asian or Eastern European country is now producing these? Whatever the case, these "new" Sentinels do not display the quality and finish of the old High Standard product. Perhaps Cmm-3940 picked up one of these inferior copies and resulted in his unfavorable experience.

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Master

How about this one??
    I like it !!!
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=456749708
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Exterior finish of the H&R Sentinel can vary from finely done to barely adequate.
    I like mine just fine despite its so so finish. Looks like anodised unfinished cast alloy. Probably better that having the surface ground and polished as far as strength and durability goes.
    This revolver it far more accurate than other .22 handguns I've owned, perhaps the long cylinder has something to do with that, more of the powder charge being burned before the bullet reaches the forcing cone.
    Trigger pull in both DA and SA mode is pretty good.
    It was well worn when I got it, quite a few rounds had traveled down the bore and theres a bit of end shake, but the interior parts show no visible wear at all.

The action and cylinder crane and ejector rod is very similar in design to that of the Charter Arms revolvers.

For a low cost .22 revolver its a pretty good one.

For a more conventional double action I like the looks of the Charter Arms but I don't know anything about these other than having fired and cleaned up one of the .38 revolvers and one in .44 special. These appear to be very serviceable.

Boolit Master
    Now I come to a bit of a mystery. Over the past year or two I have been seeing what appear to be brand new High Standard Sentinels at the gun shows, but these are finished differently and executed a bit more crudely. Since the Sentinel/Model 88 hasn't been produced since the 1950s and 1960s, I find this to be inexplicable and my questioning has brought no satifactory answers. Could it be that some Asian or Eastern European country is now producing these? Whatever the case, these "new" Sentinels do not display the quality and finish of the old High Standard product. Perhaps Cmm-3940 picked up one of these inferior copies and resulted in his unfavorable experience.

Best regards
    Doc
    Theres a German made revolver that looks very much like the Sentinel but has an 8 round cylinder instead of 9. I think it was made by Arminus.

Boolit Buddy

Words of praise about the Sentinel from well-known gun writer Massad Ayoob:

The following review is an excerpt from Massad Ayoob’s Greatest Handguns of the World VOLUME ONE:

Introduced as an inexpensive plinker and woods gun, the High Standard Sentinal .22 revolver was ahead of its time with landmark revolver design features. Perhaps most important, it broke a more than half-century logjam of design stagnation. Unfairly tarnished with a “junk gun” image, it may be the best buy in a used handgun available today.

More at the link
    http://www.gundigest.com/gun-blogs/b...el-22-revolver

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I purchased a Taurus tracker 992 6inch revolver. 9 shot cylinder. I paid $325 and it may be the best money I have spent in some time.
    Great trigger, at least in single action. I really haven't tried the double action pull.
    This revolver shoots as well as my good rifle. I could put a scope on it and take it squirrel hunting.
    I have put over 500 rounds through it with no problems and only found one type of ammo it didn't like.
    There is absolutely no recoil with this gun. I don't think the sights even move when you shoot.
    Taurus 992 is a great handgun! You can even get it with a 22 magnum cylclinder as well. Trigger is good and everyone I have seen is laser like. Everyone has shot allot fo ammo through them and I know of one that is seven or six years old. No faults to date.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Man. I saw a nice 6" Dan Wesson go on GB for only like $500. It was really nice. I was cash poor of course. LOL!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7