Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pyrodex

Boolit Master

Pyrodex

Anybody use Pyrodex and if so' what do you think of it?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I use it because it is easiest to get around here. It goes bang and sends bullets and balls down range. Regular BP is probably better as are most subs, I guess, I just don't know.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I don't use Pyrodex and don't ask me what I think of it
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    I don't use Pyrodex and don't ask me what I think of it
    Plus 1.........it goes bang and corrodes the hell out of your barrel.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Nastiest stuff ever. When someone gives it to me because they don't want it, I use it in Cowboy Action shot shells and then throw away the hulls. And I only shoot it in the side by side for easier cleaning. My other guns get Swiss 1-1/2, the real stuff.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Gopher. IV just in the last week or two, tried some Pyrodex in my 38 rim fire cases. It was a mess. Black Stuff all over the back of the action and on the case and maybe even me. I tried some Jim Shockey Gold a few days after that and it was like shooting smokeless. It was very clean. The company that makes that J'S Gold does not use sulphur and that's what is making such a mess with the Pyrodex. from now on, I think I will go with the Gold.

Boolit Bub
    Junk, shoot the real stuff

Boolit Master

Please don't misunderstand, I'm all for shooting whatever it is that makes you grin BUT I have to ask. If a person decides not to shoot real BP then why bother with any of the subs? It's not BP shooting for any of the reasons a person would choose to shoot BP since they (the subs) don't look, load, shoot or even smell like BP nor are they in any way "traditional" and most are even more corrosive so what's the point? If, for whatever the reason and they are several for some folks, a person chooses to forgo the real thing why not just shoot a BP equivalent smokeless load and avoid all the hassle of the subs? Shooting smokeless is certainly not like shooting BP but then neither is shooting the subs? Again, I'm all for shooting whatever you like but choosing any of the subs is something that kind of puzzles me.

I personally do like BH209 (except for the cost!) but I consider that powder to be more of a bulky smokeless and I tried it once for the same reasons I choose smokeless sometimes because it has far more in common with smokeless and actually very little in common with either real BP or the subs, to each his own I suppose.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Unless shooting in a competition that specifies black or substitutes, and you don't want to shoot black , why mess with the subs? Smokeless works well in most cartridges, and doesn't require the attention to detail that blackpowder does.
    As far as availability of black,it's as hard to get as ordering from Powder Inc, Grafs and a couple other places and then letting UPS or FedEx do the delivery..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

I don't know why anyone would waste their time with Pyrodex. It is highly corrosive and no advantage cost wise. There are much better choices in the realm of black powder, the real stuff that is.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    My reasons for asking about Pyrodex or simple. In commiefornia black powder is getting more difficult to get. About the only way to obtain it is by ordering it. I talked to a distributer yesterday and he said, "dealing in PB is just too much trouble. Govt agents swoop down on you and you have to spend 3-4 hours taking inventory and accounting for every pound. If one is missing, you are in for a big hassle". The man went on to tell me that he sells a lot of Pyrodex. I have never used Pyrodex or any other substitute nor do I want to. I have never heard anything good about any of them. I gave away 3 pounds of the stuff two years ago when we moved into are present digs. I have several large caliber black powder rifles and I do love to shoot black powder in them. I went to the range in Yucca Valley, Ca. two days ago and the man running the range asked me where you could buy black powder and I told him I would check when I got home and call him back. I came home, got on the phone and called many gun shops. Most don't even answer the phone, you leave a message. The stores that did answer had no idea where you could get any black powder. The man at the range also said," since the military no longer uses black powder that there isn't as much profit in its MFG as there used to be".
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

You could just buy it from Buffalo Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    My reasons for asking about Pyrodex or simple. In commiefornia black powder is getting more difficult to get. About the only way to obtain it is by ordering it. I talked to a distributer yesterday and he said, "dealing in PB is just too much trouble. Govt agents swoop down on you and you have to spend 3-4 hours taking inventory and accounting for every pound. If one is missing, you are in for a big hassle". The man went on to tell me that he sells a lot of Pyrodex. I have never used Pyrodex or any other substitute nor do I want to. I have never heard anything good about any of them. I gave away 3 pounds of the stuff two years ago when we moved into are present digs. I have several large caliber black powder rifles and I do love to shoot black powder in them. I went to the range in Yucca Valley, Ca. two days ago and the man running the range asked me where you could buy black powder and I told him I would check when I got home and call him back. I came home, got on the phone and called many gun shops. Most don't even answer the phone, you leave a message. The stores that did answer had no idea where you could get any black powder. The man at the range also said," since the military no longer uses black powder that there isn't as much profit in its MFG as there used to be".
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

It's great for the fourth of July or stubborn stumps in the yard.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Please don't misunderstand, I'm all for shooting whatever it is that makes you grin BUT I have to ask. If a person decides not to shoot real BP then why bother with any of the subs? It's not BP shooting for any of the reasons a person would choose to shoot BP since they (the subs) don't look, load, shoot or even smell like BP nor are they in any way "traditional" and most are even more corrosive so what's the point? If, for whatever the reason and they are several for some folks, a person chooses to forgo the real thing why not just shoot a BP equivalent smokeless load and avoid all the hassle of the subs? Shooting smokeless is certainly not like shooting BP but then neither is shooting the subs? Again, I'm all for shooting whatever you like but choosing any of the subs is something that kind of puzzles me.

I personally do like BH209 (except for the cost!) but I consider that powder to be more of a bulky smokeless and I tried it once for the same reasons I choose smokeless sometimes because it has far more in common with smokeless and actually very little in common with either real BP or the subs, to each his own I suppose.
    Would you use smokeless in a cap and ball revolver or a reproduction Hawkin or a Belgian made double rifle in 450 BPE. Sometimes I can find Pyrodex at Walmart or Academy. Around here, no shops of any kind have Black Powder. Don't even see it at the local Gunshow. A pound lasts me years. I clean these gun within hours of shooting them and never had corrosion problems with Pyrodex. Yes, I would rather shoot real black and do. I still have part of a can Goex FFF. If you were going to order a pound of FF BP, where would you order it?

Tim

Boolit Master
    I just went to Buffalo Arms web page. You can't order on line, you have to call them and they have this note.

Please note that Black Powder is shipped FedEx or UPS ground Adult Signature only, as a hazmat shipment, and cannot be shipped to a P.O Box. You also must use this powder for sporting or cultural purposes and not for resale. On first time powder or ammunition orders we will need to have your birth date and statement that there are not local, state or federal regulations prohibiting you from buying or possessing black powder.

They don't say what the haz mat fee will be but is probably more than the price of a pound of powder. Not really interested calling and give them the info just to find out I would be paying 40 or 50 bucks for a pound of powder. I will get more Black when I stumble across it.

Tim

Boolit Master
    If you can't get black, use Pyrodex. I have not had any corrosion issues at all. I use it in BP guns, not in BP cartridges. It was NOT designed for BP cartridges, it was formulated for large bore BP rifles and handguns.

It's good stuff if you follow the guidelines for its use. Simple. Used outside of the suggested envelope, it will be erratic. It was never marketed as corrosion free either. It's a BP substitute. If BP corrodes, so will Pyrodex (and it will if left uncleaned just like BP).

Boolit Grand Master

If I remenber corectly the hazmat fee on my last order of black powder was $35.00. the hazmat fee is the same for 1 pound order as a 25 lbs case or 50lb case. If possible get 4-5 friends who want it together and order 25lbs together to one address and split it up. I ordered 25 lbs of old ensford 1 1/2, 2 swiss 1 1/2 and 2 mixed case and got a small price break on the powder and the hazmat added just over a dollar to the cost of each pound. Some clubs here used to get group buys together to get price breaks and lower hazmats per item. Finding old ensford, swiss, or anyothers other than standard GOEX here is next to impossible. Some may want more some may want a couple diffrent granulations / brands to try also.

Low FPS in cartridges, pure c rap in the flinter

I smuggle holy black in from the next state over, since the govna outlawed it, to keep it out of the hands of terrorists

FYI C R A P is NOT a bad word, its a guys name, who invented the toilet.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I just went to Buffalo Arms web page. You can't order on line, you have to call them and they have this note.

Please note that Black Powder is shipped FedEx or UPS ground Adult Signature only, as a hazmat shipment, and cannot be shipped to a P.O Box. You also must use this powder for sporting or cultural purposes and not for resale. On first time powder or ammunition orders we will need to have your birth date and statement that there are not local, state or federal regulations prohibiting you from buying or possessing black powder.

They don't say what the haz mat fee will be but is probably more than the price of a pound of powder. Not really interested calling and give them the info just to find out I would be paying 40 or 50 bucks for a pound of powder. I will get more Black when I stumble across it.

Tim
    Hazmat is 28.50 per order, 1 lb or 50 still just 28.50.
    You can go to www. powderinc.com (they are in Arkansas)http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm the price shown per pound is delivered (hazmat included) Grafs will ship you a minimum of 4 lbs of powder, plus the 28.50 hazmat
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Why not make your own?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast