RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Pyrodex

This is a bit dated, but I plan to answer it anyway. Pack in the mid 1970's Pyrodex was the only game in town if you couldn't find Real Black Powder. I picked up my first can of Pyrodex in 1976. I would shoot it out of my T/C Hawken. I was trained right when it came to BP clean-up, do it asap with HOT Soapy Water. Dry it out and oil to keep it from rusting. The key is VERY HOT Soapy Water. The hotter the better. The metal gets hot and the water evaporates. A few dry patches down the bore and then a light coat of oil. Keeping this practice keeps my guns rust free. It has only been the last few years that I've heard of Pyrodex being corrosive as acid.

As I've said. Clean as soon as possible after shooting. Within hours, not days.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master
    Once upon a time shooters valued their guns and were happy to clean and oil them properly......that time has passed...the young now want convenience...and excuses .........pyrodex has always been highly corrosive,and still is......certainly not near as corrosive as any mineral acid.......the whole reason for pyrodex was its explosive classification...and still is.....the young need plastic guns with stainless barrels and need not stain their soft hands with oil.

Boolit Master
    Why John, Whatever do you mean?

Boolit Master
    Here we go again . The rantings of the "Holy BLack People" . Doom and Gloom. Casting Spells
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    salpal48, I use pyrodex............ because it is readily available. I have nothing against real black. There are a few that are/were brainwashed about pyro. I can say with mass amounts of experience................ it is all about your housekeeping regiment. Do a good and thorough barrel cleaning with the correct cleaning agents and the barrel will shine just like a 40 year old mirror.

Boolit Buddy
    Has the composition of Pyrodex changed? I started using pyrodex in 1971 in a 1858 Rem copy. With BP the shooter got nasty dirty and really was corrosive. The Pyro was cleaner, less barrel fouling and NOT seriously corrosive. I learned this when after shooting I put the revolver away and forgot about it for a week or two before cleaning. No corrosion noted. Five or so years ago I was working with an Uberti Win 73 copy in .45 Colt, and pyrodex. Accuracy sucked, but Accuracy sucked with every load I tried. Anywas clean up was easy.

I can't say that you won't get corrosion in Georgia, but in Idaho....Maybe it was 1972

Boolit Master
    When my friend Gary and I started shooting BPCR matches some years ago we were told that the best black to use was the most expensive which kind of turned us off because common sense says that is never for sure. We also heard that with black powder it was necessary to use a blow tube constantly or you couldn't get the next bullet to chamber but with Pyrodex it wasn't. Since we were shooting at 600 yards, we did a lot of experimenting with both powders and a bunch of different bullets. Something we recognized was that cleaning the guns at the end of the shoot was about the same regardless of powder and since the accuracy was similar with all powders we used the Pyrodex. While experimenting with powder depth and how it affected accuracy I noticed that when pouring an amount of powder the height varied greatly depending on the powder with Pyrodex being the worst unless the powder was poured into the funnel as slowly as possible. Both of us found that pressing the powder .180 gave us the best accuracy in both guns and I made a small motor from a hair dryer spin an offset round piece of metal so it would vibrate and connected it to a drop tube with round inserts in the funnel at the top with the correct size hole drilled in it so the powder would drop at the correct and consistent speed. Our accuracy went through the roof and we started to dominate the matches. Our accuracy was the best and we had more time because we didn't have to use a blow tube. Both of us shot 40/65. Pyrodex is indeed fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Gadzooks, 'the holy black wowsers won't like this.

I have been shooting MLs and cap revolvers since the mid 1970s. I have used a lot of Pyrodex. I have no issues with it but then, I clean my guns, I don't shoot flinters and I never pay any heed to half of the absolute crap I read online or hear being passed around at the range. Most guys never really empirically test any thing. Most repeat oft told tales. Some form opinions without any real personal experience on the subject. Look, Pyrodex has some draw backs. But, it will not damage your gun if used as directed. It will not blow up. It is easier to find, buy and store than BP. It is not more corrosive than acid. It cleans up with hot soap and water. People have issues with it leaving soot in cartridge guns. Sure...the pressures are low enough that the cases may not seal as absolutely to the cylinder walls. Big deal. Clean up with hot soapy water.

If Pyrodex is the only game in your area, use it....and don't look back. You'll be just fine.
    CA Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA RSO, Rifle, Shotgun and BP instructor
    Baby Boomer
    Veteran
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    I have been shooting MLs and cap revolvers since the mid 1970s. I have used a lot of Pyrodex. I have no issues with it but then, I clean my guns, I don't shoot flinters and I never pay any heed to half of the absolute crap I read online or hear being passed around at the range. Most guys never really empirically test any thing. Most repeat oft told tales. Some form opinions without any real personal experience on the subject. Look, Pyrodex has some draw backs. But, it will not damage your gun if used as directed. It will not blow up. It is easier to find, buy and store than BP. It is not more corrosive than acid. It cleans up with hot soap and water. People have issues with it leaving soot in cartridge guns. Sure...the pressures are low enough that the cases may not seal as absolutely to the cylinder walls. Big deal. Clean up with hot soapy water.

If Pyrodex is the only game in your area, use it....and don't look back. You'll be just fine.
    CA Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA RSO, Rifle, Shotgun and BP instructor
    Baby Boomer
    Veteran
    amen brother.

Boolit Master
    I'll give it another. I use the "P" version for both pistols and rifles.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Been shooting it for decades. Break down guns and clean with hot soapy water, then oil.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

I bought a lb of Pyrodex P several years ago to use in the Ruger Old Army(Stainless). Before I used any, I found several lbs of real black. Used that ever since. After reading most of this thread, I think I will try the Pyrodex. At least until it is gone.

I will admit that I have always been somewhat uneasy about cleaning the ROA. Just how far do you need to break it down to clean? I'm not comfortable going any further than removing the cylinder and scrubbing it and the barrel and exterior with hot water and then oiling. Any further advice?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    You should remove the nipples, cleaning the threads, and treat them with automotive anti-seize for your regular cleaning, in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Pyrodex can shoot really well, but it has always produced more misfires in sidelocks for me than anything else. By comparison, T7 has been blackpowder reliable so I am going to stick with it. The fact that T7 is very much non-corrosive and cleans easily seals the deal.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I like Pyrodex in my inline. I use goex in my flintlock.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678