Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: for when your enemy is amped up on crank

Banned

for when your enemy is amped up on crank

Dunno about "crank", whatever that is, but this sure would be a great bear stomper for the pucker brush of Alaska.

Vendor Sponsor

Hah that mag well looks like a kitchen trash can when it's empty!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Woah. That's one heck of an AR!

In Remembrance
    The ultimate in Big Boys Toys. Would like to have one of those myself. Question, the Clint Walker in the article, is this the actor?

I would love to see the reaction of the other shooters if my son showed up for his next 3-gun shoot with the 458 Nemo.

BB

Boolit Master

SBR that thing and you'd have the perfect 'alaskan fishing rifle'.

In Remembrance
    I am thinking that there is a valid reason semi autos are not popular for hunting rifles in Ak.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I am thinking that there is a valid reason semi autos are not popular for hunting rifles in Ak.
    I know its TV, but one cat on the show Life Below Zero uses what looks to be a suppressed AR-10 for hunting. As far as the NEMO OMEN, I want one. Actually, magnums aside, this would make a great 7 pound 30-06. Or 35 Whelen. The action length opens up possibilities.

In Remembrance
    There are a few semi auto's used, but I bet there are more single shots used by hunters than auto's.

Moderator Emeritus

When your enemy is amped up on crank....I recommend 2 in the chest and one in the head!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Article talks of minimal failures with factory ammo, in a gun meant for dangerous game. I think I would prefer no failure, especially with factory ammo.

Boolit Master

They must have used coil springs from a dump truck in the buffer assembly.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master
    Seems awfully heavy for what it is, compared to the average bolt action.

Before I took that thing hunting for anything remotely dangerous, it would have to prove itself dependable. I didn't like the "...we had minimal failure, with both Federal Fusions and Federal Premium Hydro Solids."

Maybe it was the gun, maybe it was the ammo. No factory load is specced to run a gas operated gun. Until now the only gas operated .458's, that I am aware of, were a few BARs that were rebarreled by their owners.

Robert

Vendor Sponsor

It could be made to work Reliabily with the right loads. Nobody needs "Factory .458Mag power" for anything.

Toning it down to about 1800-1900 fps would be all it needed and maybe some pointed bullets instead of the RN's.

You are shooting a gun with 10 rounds on board, and anyone who couldn't make it happen with 10 rounds needs to be ate. Thus removed from the gene pool.

I did like the 14.5 lb weight as that means lots of people could shoot it comfortably, and especially with some toned down reloads and maybe 400 gr bullets instead of 500's.

Not something I'm going to lay awake dreaming of,,, but I can definitely see a market.

Very few Cars or Light Trucks you couldn't kill with it. If you look at the intended use of the .50 BMG it is more directed at Anti Material as opposed to Anti-Personnel usage.

This is about one click below that. I can definitely see a market for it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I wonder if they would do a run in 30-06. I was pretty interested in the Noreen Industries 30-06 AR but people who have bought it have given me advice to wait until someone else develops the AR version. Sounds like NEMO may have cracked the code on producing quality ARs for long action cartridges.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    SBR that thing and you'd have the perfect 'alaskan fishing rifle'.
    Or if you are in danger of being car jacked by a Cape buffalo.
    When your enemy is amped up on crank
    Or as chief Wiggums would say "hopped up on goof balls".

I saw an article on a Garand converted to .458 Magnum many years ago. I think it only held three or four rounds.

The only real reliability problems the AR system had was that the gas tube could get badly fouled if the wrong propelant was used, and until they chrome lined the bores double base powders were eroding the gas port. Excessively high rate of full auto fire was also a propellant problem.

If the magnum rounds are loaded with powder suited to the action the rifle should be reliable enough for dangerous game hunting.

If I were planning to take one of these to Africa I'd first want to test fire it in hot humid weather to see how the propellants act under extreme conditions. Some powders can produce much higher chamber and gas port pressures when the ambient temperatures are high.
    I would expect the ammo manufacturers take this into account, but they haven't been loading this cartridge for auto rifles, only for manually operated actions of very high strength.

Boolit Master
    This rifle uses a piston system.
    375 Ruger maybe.
    375-338Ruger?
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    That looks like a lot of fun!
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    When your enemy is amped up on crank....I recommend 2 in the chest and one in the head!
    Or three in the head!