Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading .303 British with cast bullets

Boolit Mold

Reloading .303 British with cast bullets

I am new to reloading. I have some cast .303 bullets I want to reload but I'm not sure how much powder, what type powder, do I use fillers ect. Any information will help me. Thank you! The bullets are 160 grain and they have gas checks crimped on.

Boolit Master

I've not shot any cast boolit lighter than 200 grains in my Enfields, so I can't really recommend a powder charge.

The velocity level that you want to achieve will probably help you decide on what powder to use. Generally the fast pistol powders do well at the lower end, while powders like 2400, SC 4759 and IMR or H 4198 do well in the mid to high range velocities with cast boolits.

Share with us some of your details like:

Bore diameter (Enfields can vary quite a bit and that will dictate your optimal size for the boolit)
    Boolit diameter (I generally size to .313" in mine, but I have two that take .315" diameter boolits)
    Powders on hand to choose from
    Performance level you wish to achieve

By the way, welcome to the forum. Which model Enfield do you have?
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

My suggestion is read all you can, this site, Lee reloading manual, Lymans cast manual #4. Before you ever load anything!

Sorry Miker19, lost my manners, Welcome to the board!
    Last edited by 1johnlb; 11-01-2014 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Miker19 1st post

Boolit Master
    18-20grns of H4227 is a good start. Pat

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on johnlb's comment "...read all you can...".

Do not start reloading without some knowledge. There will be lots of advice here but you should also get a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook or the Lee cast bullet manual... or better yet both!

Also, there is information on cast bullet reloading here:

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...et-data-lookup
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...al-handbook-38
    http://www.303british.com/id37.html
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/th...0-cast-bullets
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Cla...tBullets-s.pdf
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Cla...ast%20Sup1.pdf
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Cla...ks/NRA_IRH.pdf

Some powders in the old Ideal handbook are obsolete but some are still available.

There tends to be a lack of load data for .303 British though there is enough around to get by with. you can also use .30-40 Krag data as the Krag operates at slightly lower pressure in the same size cartridge as .303 British... or close enough anyway.

I tend to use IMR4227 with cast boolits though I have tried several other powders as well: Unique, IMR4895, IMR4198, IMR43420, IMR4064.

My go to powder for general shooting is IMR4227 with boolits of 180 to 215 grs. as PAT303 says 18 to 20 grs. is a good start. IMR4227 and H4227 are pretty close.

With my 130 gr. boolits I use faster powders with good results but again IMR4227 works well too.

I also use fillers but do not just jump in to the world of fillers. I like them but many do not and they are a controversial sbject. Some claim to have bad experiences using fillers so it is best to avoid them and use powders that do not need fillers, at least to get started.

To start with you should slug your bore or better throat. Lee Enfields tend to have large groove diameters. Mine all run around 0.314" groove diameter and I had bad leading with standard .303 boolits that cast at 0.312" or so. I now have several "fat" moulds that cast at 0.316" so I can size to 0.315" when I install gas checks.

You should mic the boolits you have as well to ensure they are a good fit to the bore. If undersize they will shoot but accuracy will be poor and you will most likely get leading.

I hope that helps get you going.

Longbow

I did a lot of testing earlier this year with a variety of 303's including Martini Enfields, LE's. SMLE's and P14's. The best and most accurate loads were with 3031 and no filler - 28.5gns for 1690fps and 29.5gns for 1804fps. The moulds I use come from CBE and are sized and lubed to .314".

BTW, unless you have some rather serious metrology equipment, you can't slug and measure a 5 groove Enfield barrel accurately.

These are some 10 shot bench rested 100yd groups

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

You can slug the throat though and that is the important bit. Mine are all about 0.315". That is what I size to and they just chamber. Accuracy improved bunches after I got that sorted out.

You can slug the throat though and that is the important bit. Mine are all about 0.315".

Hmmmmm! almost worn out!

According to the Small Arms Identification Series by Ian Skennerton "Magazine Lee-Enfield Rifle" Page 29

1) Lee Metford and Lee-Enfield Mk1:
    Barrel Specification:
    Barrel Length - 30.5"
    Rifling Metford - 7 groove L.H. 1 turn on 10"
    Rifling Enfield - 5 groove L.H. 1 turn in 10"
    Bore Dia - 0.303"
    Metford Rifling Depth - 0.004"
    Enfield Rifling Depth - 0.0055
    Metford Land Width - 0.023"
    Enfield Land Width - 0.0936

From book "The British Service Lee" by Ian Skennerton Page 86
    2) Short Magazine Lee Enfield Mk 3:
    Barrel Specification:
    Barrel Length 25.2"
    Bore Dia - 0.303"
    Enfield Rifling Depth at muzzle - 0.0065
    Enfield Rifling Depth at breech and to within 14" of the muzzle - .005

From book "The British Service Lee" by Ian Skennerton Page 158
    3) Short Magazine Lee Enfield Mk 4 & 5:
    Barrel Specification:
    Barrel Length 25.2"
    Bore Dia - 0.303"
    Enfield Rifling Depth at breech - .005

BSA made factory bore gauges in sizes .3025, .303, .3035, .304, .3045, .305. .305 being considered worn out!

It would seem from this data that an Enfield 303 could be .303" over lands and a bore of up to 0.314" at the breech and to 0.316 at the muzzle.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure how one would intentionally or even accidentally achieve rifling with increasing depth of groove from 14" from the muzzle to the muzzle, but interesting nonetheless.

I guess my point was that the largest boolit that enters the throat that you can chamber is most likely going to provide the best fit. If groove depth increase towards the muzzle... well, chances are you will get leading. In that case, a filler may help.

Longbow

i load and shoot a lot of 303brit loaded with the 311414 150gr spire point 34gr 4895 boolits sized to .311

Best luck I have had is with 170gr RN GC. 11.5gr unique, cci 200. I drop from my mold at .313 and shoot as cast. My enfields are what you might call anomalies however. I have a winchester P14 that slugs out to .312 and a unissued long branch at .3115 both are mirror bore rifles. Groups are less than 2" in cold weather. Havent shot in summer yet.

Boolit Man

I have a Long Branch 2-groove that shoots everything cast key holed. Powder or powder charge makes no difference -- every bullet is a profile shoot. Group size is measured in feet. When I shoot jacketed (178 gr) the groups are 1.5" @ 100 yards.

We will now resume normal reloading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Not sure how one would intentionally or even accidentally achieve rifling with increasing depth of groove from 14" from the muzzle to the muzzle, but interesting nonetheless.

I guess my point was that the largest boolit that enters the throat that you can chamber is most likely going to provide the best fit. If groove depth increase towards the muzzle... well, chances are you will get leading. In that case, a filler may help.

Longbow
    They back lapped no1 barrels for mk8 ammo. Between the rear sight and the barrel Knox there will be an HV stamp, this is a back lapped barrel.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer1911 View Post
    I have a Long Branch 2-groove that shoots everything cast key holed. Powder or powder charge makes no difference -- every bullet is a profile shoot. Group size is measured in feet. When I shoot jacketed (178 gr) the groups are 1.5" @ 100 yards.

We will now resume normal reloading.
    Lol. I had fliers and misses too. But I kept at it. Big boolits are the key. What works in my 2 groove savage won't work in my 2 groove long branch. The Long branch is near mint and the savage has a baked chamber.
    Last edited by leebuilder; 03-26-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Boolit Master

303 is a pillow as full of rusty door knobs to reload j-thinys or cast. Don't let a box of fliers or keyholes discourage you from loading more.
    Read as much as you can here, there are a lot of clutched in guys here, and years of experience to draw from
    Never think it's a failure, you just know what not to repeat.
    We need more info to help you, grooves? Bore size? What kinds of powders?
    What range will you be shooting? I have been shooting alot of reduced loads it is easy, fun and very rewarding!!!! When I get a nice group at a hundred meters or more you can't wipe the grin of my face with an axe handle.
    Some boolits work better than others.
    Have not really found a bad reduced load. For long distance H4198 has served me well
    My 160gr Boolits preformed OK, once I started to PC then they really preformed.
    Trial and terror.
    Need help please ask.
    Be safe.
    Last edited by leebuilder; 03-26-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Le Loup Solitaire
    In the classic text titled "The Art of Bullet Casting" which is still in print by Wolfe Publishing, there is a lengthy article by Al Miller on the 303 British...it includes cast bullet choices, and test firings with various loads. Info on sizing and powders selection as well. Lots of other good info on other calibers and casting. Definitely a good investment. LLS

Boolit Master
    If your bullet is a "bore rider" you will need it to fit both the lands and the grooves, or you'll get poor accuracy, instability, maybe even keyholing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    18-20grns of H4227 is a good start. Pat
    Very good advice. 160 grs is rather light/short for the 303. 180 - 210 grs (20 - 22 grs 4227) is better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    They back lapped no1 barrels for mk8 ammo. Between the rear sight and the barrel Knox there will be an HV stamp, this is a back lapped barrel.
    This looks like a W.V to me. Could this be the HV stamp you're referring to?

Attachment 164656

The muzzle of this rifle will absolutely swallow a .314" boolit.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

Honestly it looks different to me usually across the rifle left to right and farther up and no period it is acompanyed with a SC stamp that means short cone for the pointed bullet, smaller different font. The EY stamp looks like emergency use only stamping.
    I will post a pic tomorrow.
    Swallows a .314 boolit another member coined that the best "trumpet muzzle"
    Be safe
    Last edited by leebuilder; 03-27-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast