WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel's Mystery uses

Marvel's Mystery uses

Marvel's Mystery Oil.

What is it good for?

Banned

War what is it good for, absolutely nothing. Actually, it is good for a lot of things, which are listed on the container. I prefer seafoam but would happily use the mystery oil as well.

It's a "Mystery"! Sorry, I had to.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Banned

Yup, listed on the container. It does work as advertised, but I wouldn't put it in a modern engine except in the crankcase oil as a last resort to free sludged rings.

Gear

It's a great bore cleaner. I use it right after my last shot while the bore is still hot. It removes tin wash, lead buildup over just a couple of sessions and carbon buildup from old powder residue. I stick a mop on my rod in the bottle and run it thru the hot bore, let the bore cool then brass brush and dry patch. Best thing I've used, cheap too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Yup, listed on the container. It does work as advertised, but I wouldn't put it in a modern engine except in the crankcase oil as a last resort to free sludged rings.

Gear
    Why? Not arguing with you, I greatly value your opinion. Any objections to putting it in the gas? Thanks....charlie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by charlie3tuna View Post
    Why? Not arguing with you, I greatly value your opinion. Any objections to putting it in the gas? Thanks....charlie
    Puts too much unburned hydrocarbon load on the catalytic converters, causing the catalyst beds to overheat and burn off. Also, it monkeys with the fuel trim. If you have a fuel-injected engine, run only fuel injector cleaners designed to burn more completely in the engine, and then only as a last resort. Run a top tier fuel and change your fuel filter frequently and you'll likely never have injector troubles in a modern gas engine. Diesel engines need all the lubricity help they can get, I recommend running Stanadyne, Racor, or Power Service at double the recommended dose, EVERY tank of fuel.

Gear

its a light oil/solvent blend use as such

The majority of todays cars have self cleaning injectors and for carbon buildup on the valves/pistons it would be to weak in the fuel to have any effect.

Boolit Grand Master

It was originally concocted as a "top cylinder lubricant" - when engines were pretty poorly
    designed and oils were pretty crummy stuff. The concept was to pour some into the gas, and
    it would remain behind to lube the rings and valves as it moved through the system. Smells
    kinda nice and definitely works for the intended purpose, because older aircraft engines (air
    cooled) were intended to use 80 octane aviation fuel without tetraethyl lead. Currently, the
    only aviation fuel available is 100 "low lead" which has less lead than 35 years ago, but still
    has a LOT of lead. This lead literally gums up the exhaust and even sometimes intake valve
    guides of these old low compression engines and can cause valves to stick. I had an off field landing
    due to this cause once, many years ago. Adding a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil to the
    fuel periodically will clean and lube the "top end" and it does free up carboned up rings, too.

As gear said - probably a bad idea in a modern engine in good shape, but if your tractor has
    sticky rings or valves - try some directly in the carb when running at high power setting and
    then some in the fuel for a tank or two.

Diesels got screwed when they removed the trace sulphur in the fuel. It acted as a lubricant for
    the fuel injection pump and some injectors, and I imagine this is why gear recommends the
    additives for diesels.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I love the smell of the old metal can of Marvel Mystery Oil. I've had one in the garage for years, but I have to say I really don't use it as often anymore.

When I was tougher, while assembling engines I would lube things like piston rings using ATF transmission fluid. Now the smell of ATF completely nauseates me. I re-discovered old Marvel Mystery oil as an engine assembly lube due to it's pleasant odor. Of course I still use actual engine assembly lube in places where it's called for though, as I suspect Marvel Mystery Oil is mostly just petroleum distillates and solvents.

Another lesser known Marvel Mystery oil, is their air tool oil.

Marvel Air Tool Oil does not have the same wonderful aroma that the good old fashioned red can had. (or the new plastic red and black bottle) The Marvel Air Tool Oil is actually a decent lubricant and corrosion prohibit er for air tools. It might even be pressed into service as a somewhat decent gun lube. It hasn't hurt my snap on air tools at least.

Interesting tale of Marvel Mystery oil, from the companies web page.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/about/

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL® HISTORY

Marvel Mystery Oil®, boasting an enviable reputation among vehicle owners world-wide, is truly a legend of its own. From an auspicious beginning, it is now recognized as a product that has stood the test of time and continues to provide unsurpassed performance and benefits in motors in the automotive, industrial and marine world.

Burt Pierce founded the Marvel Oil Company in 1923. His reputation for ingenuity preceded him as he was already well-known for inventing the Marvel Carburetor, standard equipment on 80% of all vehicles produced after World War I.

Vehicles of the post WWI era encountered carburetor problems, the most perplexing being clogged jets due to high lead content and other contaminants found in the gasoline of the time. The problem motivated Mr. Pierce to direct his creative ingenuity towards formulating a blend of chemicals and petroleum products to clean and maintain clogged jets. He was successful beyond his wildest expectations and the legend was born!

“Mystery Oil”, as it was originally called, proved to have other beneficial effects on the engine. By creating a top ring seal, it produced higher compression and, by preventing blow-by on power strokes, it resulted in more power. Mystery Oil also improved gas mileage and minimized engine wear.

Initially based in Chicago, the company moved to New York City and then in 1941 moved to its long-time home in Port Chester, New York. In 1999, the Marvel Oil Company was acquired by Turtle Wax, Inc. and is now headquartered back in its hometown in the Chicago area.

Marvel Mystery Oil® continues to be an extremely relevant and effective product, even in today’s “high-tech” vehicles. With the cost of vehicle maintenance increasing every year, preventive maintenance is the key in avoiding astronomical repair bills.

Why the name Mystery Oil? Burt Pierce refused to divulge the formula for his new product and answered all inquiries as to its make-up with “It’s a Mystery!” The name caught on and is still recognized today for its “mysterious” ability to cure and prevent almost any engine ailment.

Can MMO be used or mixed with weapon lubricants?
    Yes, MMO can be used either by itself or mixed with other lubricants for weapons maintenance. We have many stories of people who clean and lubricate everything from rifles to broadswords!

From Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mystery_Oil

Marvel Mystery Oil is a product of the Marvel Oil Company, founded by Burt Pierce in 1923.

After World War I, vehicles encountered carburetor problems. As a result Pierce formulated a blend of chemicals and petroleum to clean and maintain clogged jets. It proved beneficial for engines by creating a top ring seal producing higher compression, preventing blow-by on power strokes, resulting in more power.

Marketing literature makes claims about lubricating qualities, cleaning and friction reduction capabilities. However, little robust evidence exists documenting these purported benefits. The product has previously been marketed for use in all kinds of engines, including aircraft engines. However, it has been implicated in one aircraft crash where an engine suffered catastrophic damage during take-off after Mystery oil had been used as a fuel additive. The engine damage found was attributed to detonation, which would be consistent with the octane reducing effects of Mystery oil.

The name Mystery Oil comes from Burt's answer to the question, "what kind of oil is this?" to which Pierce would respond, "It's a mystery!"

The product is composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard. o-Dichlorobenzene (1,2-Dichlorobenzene (ortho-dichlorobenzene))0 - 5% , Fine White Mineral Oil 70 - 100% , Mineral Spirits 20 - 30%

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    It was originally concocted as a "top cylinder lubricant" - when engines were pretty poorly
    designed and oils were pretty crummy stuff. The concept was to pour some into the gas, and
    it would remain behind to lube the rings and valves as it moved through the system. Smells
    kinda nice and definitely works for the intended purpose, because older aircraft engines (air
    cooled) were intended to use 80 octane aviation fuel without tetraethyl lead. Currently, the
    only aviation fuel available is 100 "low lead" which has less lead than 35 years ago, but still
    has a LOT of lead. This lead literally gums up the exhaust and even sometimes intake valve
    guides of these old low compression engines and can cause valves to stick. I had an off field landing
    due to this cause once, many years ago. Adding a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil to the
    fuel periodically will clean and lube the "top end" and it does free up carboned up rings, too.

As gear said - probably a bad idea in a modern engine in good shape, but if your tractor has
    sticky rings or valves - try some directly in the carb when running at high power setting and
    then some in the fuel for a tank or two.

Diesels got screwed when they removed the trace sulphur in the fuel. It acted as a lubricant for
    the fuel injection pump and some injectors, and I imagine this is why gear recommends the
    additives for diesels.

Bill
    Bill, you are close to right on. Ran it in the 0320 in our Cherokee when we had to buy 100 LL. Dropped head temps a lot. The ol gal even ran smoother and we gained at least 1/2 gal. per hr.
    Also ran it when we uses 84 to 87 octain auto. Ya I know, we didn't bother with the STC but it sure worked.
    I don't put many miles on our newer pickups like we used to. If they sit too long the valves sound like they are swapping holes. 1 qt. MMO per oil change eliminates this problem.
    I am sure there are other products that will do the same thing but you cannot say it doesn't work.
    Facta non verba

I use it in my old harley's, definitely a huge + for the life of the motors. The bikes get used year round (20* in feb to 90+* in aug).

Me & big griff (big griff/on my yellow bike) after taking my bikes out bar hopping 1 saturday morning in feburary.

[IMG][/IMG]

Think I can use some of this in my lube recipe? Sub for atf?

Boolit Master
    I had a Matchless G-80CS 500cc single cylinder motorcycle many, many years ago. After a while, I had problems with it "8-stroking". Instead of firing every 4 strokes, it sounded like it was skipping a "fire".

Naturally, I thought it was the electrical/spark plug system. I checked it out completely and that was not the problem. My dad happened to have some Marvel Mystery oil on the shelf and I added it to the gas tank.

After a couple of miles, it started running right. I can only guess that the intake valve was sticking and the Marvel loosened it up. I added the Marvel regularly after that and did not have a problem with the bike afterward. I still keep a can of it on the shelf for luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Bill, you are close to right on. Ran it in the 0320 in our Cherokee when we had to buy 100 LL. Dropped head temps a lot. The ol gal even ran smoother and we gained at least 1/2 gal. per hr.
    Also ran it when we uses 84 to 87 octain auto. Ya I know, we didn't bother with the STC but it sure worked.
    I don't put many miles on our newer pickups like we used to. If they sit too long the valves sound like they are swapping holes. 1 qt. MMO per oil change eliminates this problem.
    I am sure there are other products that will do the same thing but you cannot say it doesn't work.
    A little TCP never hurt either.

Boolit Grand Master

Beeswax softened with marvel's Mystery Oil works quite well as a lube on my .38 Special and .44 Special bullets. Haven't tried much in my 357/44 Mag. loads but it has been good on a limited basis with mild loads. I keep a version of Ed's Red cleaner on hand which is mainly a mix of MMO and mineral spirits. It cleans my guns, dies, and tools and leaves a very light protective coating...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

It was all I used to loob my competition pistols back in the day. A drop or two on the bbl where it appeared on the slide of the 1911, and a drop or two on the rails. My friend Tank Young would have a veritable pool of MMO on his bench...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

I add it to the fuel in our 41 and 49 Ford V8 flatties.

Boolit Master
    I liked it for a cold weather gun lube in AK and WY, even at 40 below action was never stiff.