Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Short Brass and Big Ideas

In Remembrance

Short Brass and Big Ideas

On this forum, and one other, I have posted information about a mechanical method for stretching brass cases enough to obtain a better chamber fit. I put myself in a predicament where that was necessary back when I bought a new batch of cases. Getting the horse back before the cart involved quite a bit of dinking around, but I managed (with the help of others) to devise a remedy.

Responses, here and elsewhere, lead me to believe that anybody can work himself into the same corner, and it does not require a 'sloppy' chamber (as recently opined) to do that.

If you want to know how I messed up, and what you may want be careful of, read this sticky...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20646

In that sticky thread, I briefly mention a 'jig' that will keep everything in alignment.
    The mention was brief because it was still being developed. I am now ready to try the prototype.

I could tell the whole story..mentioning all of the tools that have been made and abandoned, or made and modified...but that wouldn't be very enlightening for most of you. (I will, however, be glad to answer any questions on the subject.)

Suffice it to say that 'my tools' were designed to use on a 30-ton hydraulic shop press, and all of the later efforts have been to devise something that does not need a press like that.

I ran some threads aking for information about the beefiest reloading presses, and got some interesting replies. But, a 'universal' tool that can work on any reloading press seems to be wishful thinking.

The job simply requires a lot of push.

So........
    Instead of telling a guy he needs a 30-ton shop press - or a Super-Ultra-Max Reloader's Special - the latest plan is to come up with a tool capable of providing a lot of push...that can be rented by anybody, for a day or two.

Enter the Porta Power tool set (aka 'The Jaws Of Life') which comes in 4-ton and 10-ton models.

The stretching jig I am about to put into service is of that type, and I will be using a 4-ton kit which I already own.

What I would ask from you guys is to check your local tool rental stores (where you can rent power tools, drain cleaning tools, and small landscaping equipment...among other things) and see if the Porta Power is generally available.

Porta Power is the name of the original tool, and there are other makers (these days) which build the same thing. So, you might find the same kind of tool under a different name.
    Here's a page that shows some of the other brands...
    http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/po...FSUwlgoduHSLfQ

If it is only a rarely found item in rental shops, I won't pursue the idea.

Thanks,
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

One local rental outfit has one for sure, better yet most maintenace departments in factories have them, I bum one from work occasionally. Anyone friendly with a auto body guy should be able to get access also.

jim

Harbor freight has a chit comm 4 ton version on sale for 69 bucks.Regular price is 99.00
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter575 View Post
    Harbor freight has a chit comm 4 ton version on sale for 69 bucks.Regular price is 99.00
    You missed my point, shooter575.
    I want to find out if the average guy can get hold of a Porta Power for a day or two.
    If he can, I would provide a tool...that is used with the rented Porta Power...so he could stretch his own cases without spending huge amounts of money for specialized equipment.

My goal would be to make it so he could save his 'short' cases for a lot less cost than throwing them out, and replacing them with new brass.

I would appreciate it if others would call around their towns for a better reading on 'how available' rental Porta Powers are...
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 02-09-2008 at 02:44 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.