Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood gun shop senior turret

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kitchen View Post
    Is there any interest in Team Hollywood t-shirts? I'm thinking of doing a run if I can drum up enough people to make it feasible.
    Jim;

You can put me down for a couple T-shirts. Are you thinking just letters or putting a Picture of a Hollywood press on them??

HGS

Boolit Bub
    Hi HGS,

I spoke with Dave this morning. There's going to be two different t-shirts, both dark blue.

The first will have the original blueprint for the Senior in white on the back of the shirt with "Hollywood Gun Shop" on the front left breast.

If you own a Super Turret I'll sell you the snazzy blue t-shirt with the blueprint for the Super Turret on the back in white. On the front of that t-shirt we'll have the pithy phrase: "My reloading tool goes to 11" or some such. If you Super Turret has a serial number like a few of them do I might even add your serial number.

Still sorting out some details but this should be pretty easy.

Thanks,

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in for one of each Jim. I would prefer the Hollywood Gun Shop on the front of both, if possible.

Boolit Bub
    I'll do a separate thread on the shirts in a week or so. I need to get some pricing but have you down for a couple.

Sorry to interrupt the thread.

Does this count:

I also have my original Hollywood Senior (the shorter version) that I bought used in 1963 from one of my college professors for $25.00, including a set of Hollywood .30-06 dies. I'm still using it, but not as much as my other presses.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess my one lonely Sr. qualifies me for a shirt.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I guess my one lonely Sr. qualifies me for a shirt.
    We are both in the same category there Wayne !!
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kitchen View Post
    I'll do a separate thread on the shirts in a week or so. I need to get some pricing but have you down for a couple.

Sorry to interrupt the thread.
    Hey Jim, Are those shirts still in the works ?

Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Mold
    I have an older Hollywood Senior Turret that I restored! If anyone is selling the turret (part not the whole press) please PM me cost. I am getting some play in the turret after moving it to a specific station. It only happens on a few stations. Some of the other stations are locked down super tight. Its almost like the detent hole is a little worn. (Forty5r@yahoo.com)

Boolit Master
    MDPhotographer is making turrets. He is making a few for me. You should find one his posts on this thread or on a Hollywood thread on the next page. Then PM him.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Forty5r View Post
    older Hollywood Senior Turret ...snip... the detent hole is a little worn. (Forty5r@yahoo.com)
    Forty, I have seen that in some Hollywood Turret Presses with the wrong sized ball being used for the detente. The ball is spring loaded and should recess completely in the hole that is drilled in the press column. If it doesn't, either ream the hole a bit or replace with a smaller ball. The detente holes in the turret are usually not the issue. DO NOT press the ball into the base if it is over-sized or it may get stuck.

Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Bub
    Forty it sounds to me like you have some worn indexing holes in the turret.If the indexing ball was too small then more of it would go up into the turret and it would actually bind when you try to index it. The hole in the base is 1/4" dia. and about 5/8" deep.The spring should be just below the lip of the hole about 1/16th of an inch.The 1/4" ball bearing sits on top of the spring and compresses when you screw the top on.The indexing holes in the turret are 7/32" or so in dia..... just a bit smaller then the ball bearing.The ball bearing actually indexes on the mouth of this hole it does not touch the bottom of the hole up inside the turret.You will see on any turret that has seen use that on the mouth of the hole wear the ball bearing rides over will be worn some. This is normal but if the turret has seen so much use that you get slop or travel there are only 3 remedies.

1. weld up sloppy holes grind flat and redrill. (not easy to do because the weld material is very hard when compared to the cast turret material

2. make the indexing hole in the base bigger to 5/16" and use new spring and BB (not a good idea since the shoulder the indexing hole sits on on the base is 3/8" wide and after subtracting for a 1/4" hole you only have 1/16" between the indexing hole and the outside of the cylinder and outside of the 1/4 indexing hole.

3. New turret

Vendor Sponsor

Tracyvision: You got the drawings for these machines? Did you get the patterns for the castings in the deal too?

There is no reason why these machines could not be produced on an ongoing basis. Many people here have access to the foundry's that could make these parts, and the outfit that probably made them in the first place was Buddy Bar Castings in LA. If you don't have the patterns I would start looking for them there.

Also if you have drawings, there are many people here who could make parts for you.

Having as much of the small parts inventory as you have and the drawings, kind of makes YOU the anointed Hollywood Guru.

Not producing these machines for todays market would be tantamount to,,,

"Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth."

This would be a violation of the first rule of business which is,,,

"Don't look a Gift Horse in the Mouth!"

There is a ongoing demand for the machines and spare parts, and you should be the one supplying them. I assure you that if you don't do it someone else will...

An opportunity like this only comes along once in a long while.

And just so you understand the patents on all of this stuff have long since expired,,, essentially meaning anyone can make these machines. Even if the patents were in place nobody could afford to defend them, which essentially means they are useless.

I might add that all it takes to duplicate a machine,,, is a machine to copy. Reverse engineering these machines with computers and 3D printing is literally child's play.

The Chinese are also very good at this as witnessed by the nice copy of the F35 that they shoved in Obama's face just last week.

None of this is meant to condone that practice or to in any way say it is right. I have been ripped off big time by no talent thieves who couldn't come up with an original idea to save their Arses, and it cost me big money.

You on the other hand obtained the inventory and essentially the rights to manufacture this machine. If you need any help or need advice on how to do the production I am more than willing to volunteer my services, and knowledge on how to accomplish this.

If you just let the project sit,,, eventually someone else will do it.

I've seen it a hundred times.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Randy going into production on these presses would not be easy to make a profit it takes a lot more then just having the molds to make the castings look at some of the pictures he has of the machinery that was used to make them back in the day. You are looking at 10s of thousand of dollars for mills lathes and tooling to go into production. Not to mention facilities and payroll,insurance etc etc. you would not be able to compete price wise with RCBS Redding Lyman and Lee turret presses. As much as I love Hollywood presses I know you would find it impossible to turn a profit making them. I know how many hours it takes me to turn out 1 turret using cold rolled steel instead of castings in my home machine shop and even selling the turret alone for $200 I am making a lot less then minimum wage.

Boolit Buddy
    W.R,

MD is right. Regardless of having the castings, production would be a labor of love. To me, the castings and old machines are there to be part of an ongoing collection. I sold a "NEW" Senior Turret on Ebay and was able to get $650 for it. The cost to produce the machine would be twice that, not considering a dime profit. Believe me, you are preaching to the choir. There is just no market.

Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MDphotographer View Post
    Forty it sounds to me like you have some worn indexing holes in the turret...snip
    MD, Really? Worn indexing holes? The working surfaces were hardened to Rockwell 80, if they were produced by Hollywood Gun Shop. Even if they were worn, it would not cause the turret to wobble. The ball has nothing to do with turret support. What I have seen in some presses is an oversized ball jammed into the press. When the turret turns, the ball should recess completely into the hole. If it does not, that would cause the problem. It would be interesting to see the press.

Forty, If you want to ship it to Florida, I will be glad to have a close look. If you do need a new turret, which I doubt, MD makes a fine one.

Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Patents are only good for 17 years. Copyright, the life of the author + 50 years. Trademarks good for as long as you want to keep renewing them.

Hope to add to my singular Hollywood Sr. single stage one day.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Bub
    Trac I understand the BB has nothing to do with supporting the turret but I don't care how hard it has been heat treated a stainless BB is going to wear on a flat part when it rolls against it. Where the BB goes into the indexing hole you will see some wear in the indexing hole lip where the BB ride over it before springing into the hole to index and again on the other side where the BB rides over the lip of the hole as the BB exits. The indexing is basically like a dead bolt lock. The BB is the bolt and the spring is the knob that sets the bolt. If the BB is too big it will never go down into the hole in the base a 5/16" BB would never get stuck in the hole it is just too big,for you to have a BB get stuck in the base indexing hole under spring pressing it would have to be at the most .002" oversize and it would take an amazing amount of force to press it into the hole. anything bigger then those few thou over size simple wont go down into the hole.The indexing holes in the turret are purposely undersize a little so that the BB will index on the mouth of the hole and not go halfway or more up into the turret indexing holes,if it were to do this it would bind the turret up.Because the turret index holes are small the BB can also ride up over the lip as you change stations.

The turrets are made of cast steel even if hardened to 80bn it isnt going to be as hard or wear as little as a 1/4" stainless ball bearing. I just drilled out 4 holes for lube on an oddball turret he had 3hole were untapped slightly smaller then 1-1/4" and had set scres in the side of the turret. When I drilled them out to 1-7/16 for 1-1/2-12 thread the chips where like granulated powder not like normal steel chips like from cold rolled steel.

Forty stated that he had problems on only 2 of the station not indexing correctly that there was some slop (play) when those stations are indexed. When I mean slop and he says play I assume he means side to side play and not up and down play

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracvision View Post
    MD, Really? Worn indexing holes? The working surfaces were hardened to Rockwell 80, if they were produced by Hollywood Gun Shop. Even if they were worn, it would not cause the turret to wobble. The ball has nothing to do with turret support. What I have seen in some presses is an oversized ball jammed into the press. When the turret turns, the ball should recess completely into the hole. If it does not, that would cause the problem. It would be interesting to see the press.

Forty, If you want to ship it to Florida, I will be glad to have a close look. If you do need a new turret, which I doubt, MD makes a fine one.

Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD
    Although I'm not questioning your statement; that just makes no sense. The balls themselves are only about a Rc 62 to 66. Even high speed steel usually doesn't surpass Rc 70.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I had a turret tool in my hands a few years ago... The turret holes where the ball bearing would ride was very well worn in 2 spots. I've seen it. The turrets wear.