RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Sprue scar filer/truer/trimmer ideas?

Boolit Buddy

Sprue scar filer/truer/trimmer ideas?

I'm getting nominal 200-gr 311299s that are falling within 1% of nominal but vary between 199.1 and 200.4 gr, or 1.3 gr of one another. Someone over on the CBA site suggested asking here for ideas on a gizmo for uniforming the boolit bases. Any suggestions other than a fine file welcomed.

Banned

I uniform mine with the sprue plate as I cast them. Proper sprue plate tension adjustment, nice flat sprue plate and blocks, and attention to controlling sprue plate temperature via the size of the sprue puddle and timing of the cut are all things that contribute to flat bullet bases and no sprue bumps.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    If the bases of your boolits have a bump or tear, it is likely your sprue plate is too loose or you are cutting your sprue too soon, or both. If the plate can be rotated fairly easily without flopping, it's about right. Some folks like the sprue plate to fall open by it's own weight. I prefer just a teeny bit tighter. Don't snug it down so tight it is difficult to turn.

Boolit Master
    I may have asked this question before, but should the sprue plate be adjusted at operating temp or when cold. I personally think it should be at operating temp as the metal will expand when heated, and if adjusted cold, it would be possibly to tight when hot. My 1 1/2 cents anyway
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    I may have asked this question before, but should the sprue plate be adjusted at operating temp or when cold. I personally think it should be at operating temp as the metal will expand when heated, and if adjusted cold, it would be possibly to tight when hot. My 1 1/2 cents anyway
    I adjust while at casting temperature as well. I have found that the adjustment done at room temp does not stay when things heat up and it is too loose at casting time. There is my two pennies worth.

Boolit Master

Yep,I adjust hot as well, I am a counter, meaning I count time, most times a count of 3 of 4 is what I use before I cut the sprue.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Sometimes I have just stroked a boolit over a flat board to polish the base.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...products_id=28

This is the only gizmo that I'm aware of for boolit base uniforming.