Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Utah elk hunters get ripped off.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like bears got them.

Boolit Master
    With cut ropes and pickup truck tracks?

I know in our area the department of conservation has a lot of power and they could come down very hard on someone who did something like that.

In Remembrance
    Pretty ballsy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Pretty ballsy.
    Likely a felony.

In Remembrance
    Possible death sentence, if caught in the act. lol

In Remembrance
    I'll second starmac. Down here in S.W. Louisiana, to get caught in the act would be EXTREMLY HAZARDOUS to one's health. Could possibly develop a real bad case of lead poison.

In Remembrance
    Unless things have changed drasticlly in Lowsiana or east Texas, it was extremely dangerous to get caught running someones trotline, much less stealing deer.
    Back when I was just a kid, an old guy that worked for my dad shot a game warden for trying to take his deer. lol

Boolit Master

The reporter could use some lessons in grammar.

"Recently, in Lyman Lake, Utah, just south of the Utah/Wyoming border, a hunting trip quickly turned sour after two men shot two elk that were stolen from their hunting camp."

So these guys shot two stolen Elk? That's what it says.

How about ..two men shot two Elk, that were later stolen from their hunting camp".

This type of stuff keeps showing up in my kid's school books too, pisses me off.

Boolit Master
    Elk poaching began to be a problem when butchers realized that the flavor of meat comes mostly from the fat. They found that ground elk when mixed with fat from beef could be passed off as ground beef. Very poached Elk then represented a couple of thousands of dollars worth of hamburger that the butcher shops did not have to report on their taxes.
    Don't know if this sort of scam is still operating, but it was in the news for awhile some years ago.

Boolit Grand Master

That's pretty low, nope, extremely low. Be pretty hard to convict a hunter for bagging a varmint on an elk hunting trip if I was on that jury.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

Lyman is in Wyoming about half way between Rock Springs and Evanston, Lyman lake is south of there.
    still in Wyoming but in the Uintah mountain range.
    they had better not have shot an elk there on a Utah tag and would have had to have been further south than that.

if they were stolen I'd point towards someone from Coalville [west of there] being in the area, or from the Ute rez. that's just a bit south of the hunting area. [they are pretty famous for that kind of stuff]
    I didn't profile them they earned it.

Poaching of game animals hanging in camps happens quite often.
    I hunted in the Blue Mountains of Oregon in rhe 70's and know of two instances of camp poaching. Borh wirh armed intruders wirh people in rhe camp. In both cases the owners of the game animals didnt argue or resist but got enough information for the State Police to arrest the perpitrators.
    We always took our Elk straight to the cooler as it was usually too warm for the Elk meat. Thus we never lost any animals. Putting up a fight is stupid and costly in court.