Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Browning Mountain rifle

Boolit Mold
    I have posted reference to this thread, but have no Idea where they went. I realize that this is an old thread, but I have some information that may be of interest to owners of Johnathan Browning Mountain rifles. Back in the 1980s I was doing some research on my .50 Browning and talked with a Browning representative. He gave me the number of a manufacturing facility there in Salt Lake City, Utah. I contacted them and the gentleman I talked with advised that all of the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifles had been made in his facility, right there in Salt lake City. He gave me lots of great information regarding the various types, finishes and calibers of the guns. He was interested to know how I had gotten his telephone number. I advised that I had gotten it from the Browning rep, and he advised that at that time they were doing research and development on various weapons for the military and that the number was supposed to be unlisted.

Boolit Master
    These are shooters, rb or maxiball. Browning made them, did not contract them out. Only issues I heard of was the wood was salt cured to make faster drying time, some guns had bad rust under the barrels, only a few I actually know of. These rifles also have a singe set trigger. You can pull the trigger as a normal trigger, or push it forward till it clicks, then you have a light set trigger. Last one I had was corroded from stock, removed trigger and cleaned good, oiled it up, worked great.

I found a stripped .50 barrel only about 3 years ago, made it into an underhammer. Takes .495 RB's and shoots fine.

Paul
    BartSr

well cant remember where we were so I will update this thread.

got a mainspring and made it fit with a nice smooth action ... got the wedges and filed em to fit fairly tight ... sanded the ramrod till it would seat in the channel just tight enough that it only walks a little with a 100 grain charge ... also filed down the front sight sides from a ball to a nice thin post in the hood affair it came to me with ... if this don't work I will install a blade front as this is what belongs there I believe.

now I been cleanin it till my arm wants to fall off as there seems to be some leading in the forward portion from the firing chamber. I really like this rifle and am going to keep foolin till I get it to shoot for me. all loads from 60 grain to 100 grain loads are comfy to shoot if I get that sharp upper point over the meat in my shooting spot ... if not ... it will remind me of my mistake in a hurry. so far the best groups have been seen with the 80 grain charges and some of the 60 grainers do well also.

powder is some GOEX cartridge I got left and then I wanna try some ol E for a change as well as getting some more 2 and 3Fg powder for all the toys.

went out today and after shooting nearly all my balls I accomplished something I have never done before in my muzzleloading since I began in the early 70's ... I dry balled my first ball in this hummer ... after pulling it and getting powder under I went ahead and shot 3 more shots and like a dingleberry ... dry balled another. so glad I were alone to miss out on the hooting and hollerin from some of my "friends". so now I feel just a bit smarter then before as I know I can pull a pure lead and patched ball from the breech where it comes to rest rite on the plug cone ... ... ...

what fun.

Boolit Master
    Can't imagine a full sized Hawken with PRB load kicking too much. The crescent butts are more of a nuisance than a menace from recoil. For me they tend to catch on clothes when shouldering or pulling down after shooting.

Super easy, cheap and practical fix is to get a rectangular piece of thick leather. Cut for simple fit over butt. Wet it and crease it with an iron. Punch holes on upper and lower margins and lace up. The thick leather keeps its shape and forms something similar to a shotgun butt and it also protects the butt metal when sitting on the ground. Plus it's easily removed and doesn't alter the original gun.

It helps to use a "try" template out of thin cardboard for best fit before cutting the leather. Diagram is what it would look like. The short tabs at the waist simply fold over the tips of the butt when installing.

Also, various crescent covers with same basic construction. Cover on right shows one with thinner leather.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 07-03-2015 at 12:10 PM.

boy today is just like yesterday for stupids ... guess I should leave the muzzleloaders alone for awhile ... went to the range and after unloading my stuff and setting up I realized I only had brought around 12 balls ... after shooting nearly all the balls up I ran outta powder in the horn/flask and went to refill it from the can only to remember I had unloaded the can at the house and didn't replace it in my box so I were outta powder as well.

now I don't get a chance to get to the range very often as work and family keep interrupting my play time so when I go I usually stay for 4 or 5 hours at least ... not today ... 2 hours was it and then I set about coming home to work on the 54 barrel for awhile.

least I got to go for awhile and im grateful for that. I like this browning a lot and each time out with it I learn new stuff about it. as a result of yesterday I came home and made the wedges fit a bit better and still hold in place. worked on the leaded portion some more and now she feels and looks lead free. each time I examine her I look for defects I can cure/fix and as a result the rifle is really shaping up.

foronesix ... I did have a leather setup layin round so I installed it over the crescent and like all my rifles I have done this to ... she fits me better then ever. what a foolish ol man to have procrastinated this little addition till now ... cant wait to take her out again for another romp.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    I have lusted after one of these since they came out. so when I found one on GB I bid on it and surprise ... I won it. as memory serves ... I believe that the big fanfare when it came out was that it was a direct image of a Sam Hawkins rifle. I know they stayed outta my reach till recently price wise.

now before it arrives ... id like some insight as to anyone's experience with them ... good, bad or indifferent?

I have gotten a membership at the local rifle and pistol club so this new purchase should be bellowing smoke there soon I am hoping.

it will need a mainspring and a couple barrel wedges ... anybody have suggestions on where to look for these parts?

thanks in advance for the tips and insight on these rifles.
    I have a JB barrel on an underhammer. I use a .495 roundball with ticking patch. I started with a .490 RB but shots went most everywhere.

Paul
    BartSr

"boy today is just like yesterday for stupids ... guess I should leave the muzzleloaders alone for awhile ... went to the range and after unloading my stuff and setting up I realized I only had brought around 12 balls ... after shooting nearly all the balls up I ran outta powder in the horn/flask and went to refill it from the can only to remember I had unloaded the can at the house and didn't replace it in my box so I were outta powder as well."

bigted, Don't feel too bad about that as we've all done that or something similar at one time or another. One way to cure it is to make a check list of all the things you need to take to the range (or woods walk) for loading and firing a ML, keep it on your 'puter, then print it out and keep it with your shooting stuff. I've made one for my flintlock and cap lock hunting pouches and find it has helped immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    "boy today is just like yesterday for stupids ... guess I should leave the muzzleloaders alone for awhile ... went to the range and after unloading my stuff and setting up I realized I only had brought around 12 balls ... after shooting nearly all the balls up I ran outta powder in the horn/flask and went to refill it from the can only to remember I had unloaded the can at the house and didn't replace it in my box so I were outta powder as well."

bigted, Don't feel too bad about that as we've all done that or something similar at one time or another. One way to cure it is to make a check list of all the things you need to take to the range (or woods walk) for loading and firing a ML, keep it on your 'puter, then print it out and keep it with your shooting stuff. I've made one for my flintlock and cap lock hunting pouches and find it has helped immensely.
    that is just a prince of an idea. I def will do it and that will stop most of the hair pullin when I get there and look for sumptin I shoulda brought along. ... like a towel for wiping my hands on ... I did bring one the other day but didn't get to use it much what with leavin most of my stuff home ... LOL ...

bigted, I've forgotten the towel as well! Here's a copy of one of my check lists, which I then use to equip my pouch (My wife calls it a "man bag"/ "man purse") for a woods walk or some such thing:

CHECK LIST FOR HUNTING POUCH: CAP LOCK

_____HEARING PROTECTION

_____ PATCHES

_____ ROUND BALLS

_____ CLEANING PATCHES

_____ RAG/TOWEL

_____ BORE SOLVENT/PATCH LUBE

_____ PATCH RETRIEVER

_____ POWDER MEASURE

_____SHORT STARTER

_____ SPARE JAG

_____ SPARE NIPPLE (LYMAN GPR)

_____ALLEN KEY (LYMAN GPR)

_____ CAPPER

_____ EXTRA PERCUSSION CAPS

_____ NIPPLE WRENCH & PICK

_____ FILLED POWDER HORN

_____ RANGE ROD

that's a good list ... mind if I borrow it and maybe add a couple things till I can par down to just what is needed? it is such a good idea and simple ... just like the things that seem to go passing rite over my head most times LOL.

Cool

bigted, et al., Please feel free to use and modify the list to suit your needs. Btw, I had to add the rag/towel after reading bt's earlier post.

Boolit Bub
    I did a search and found this thread. I just bought a .45 cal. JBMR in the iron/pewter config. I have been looking for one for over a year and it went on a dealer's website last night and I bought it when he opened this morning. Old John Moses must have been smiling down on me.
    Powder, I'm going to start with Olde Eyensford 3F starting at 65 grs. OE 3F is what I use in my other BP rifles from .38 cal. 40-65 WCF, and 45-90 WCF. What I'm wondering what size ball and patch to use with my new find. I noticed several posters said they had the .45 cal. version of the JBMR. I would appreciate any advice other than to sell it.
    Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.

Banned

I don't own one but most of my .45 cal rifles shoot a 0.440 ball and a patch that you like.

Boolit Buddy

Being somewhat of a selfproclaimed expert, I can assure you that your genuine cabella's hawken it for sure one original heap of good shootin' fun...but it don't mean that I wouldn't trade mine even for one of them Gin u wine Brownings! I'd prolly throw in an exwife for boot!

BF

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Awe man, next you guys are prolly tell me my genuine cabellas hawken is some poorly executed repro hawken wannabe. lol
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master
    BF, you find someone that is taking ex wives in, let me know

add to list

_____ SCREW DRIVER SET
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

well just like a kid ... I got her workin and purrin so I put it up for sale in the "swappin n sellin" section. it is a nice shootin rifle but I got a hankerin for a special project to build so need funds for it.

hummer is a shootin dream now with a squeaky clean barrel, nice new mainspring, custom fit wedges and lotsa TLC for the good of the rifle. I know ill kick myself for sellin after some time goes by but this "special" project I got in the wings wont wait.

thought sure somebody would desire this rifle ... guess I will wait another week and then list it at a real value elsewhere.

Boolit Bub
    I am surprised that your rifle hasn't sold. somebody will come along and find it and realize the value of it.
    Someone mentioned about the wedges. Just got my JBMR and the first thing I noticed was the wedge closest to the breech is very loose. What is the best way to tighten it up? I thought about taking a punch and tapping the edges of the wedge in a couple of places. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.

here is what I do and have done several times on Lyman's , TC's and now Browning's;

- take a ball peen hammer and lay the barrel on something that is very solid yet non-marring so that the barrel tenon is up.
    - now gently hit the middle of the tenon hoop to tighten up the clearance for the wedge to fit into.
    - re-try the wedge in the rifle and if still lose ... repeat with gentle tap's to tighten the tenon hoop up on the wedge pin.
    - keep re-trying the barrel in the rifle till it fits to a satisfactory tightness. I like mine to require a tap to remove them and this keeps them from falling out and getting lost in the thick stuff.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast