Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Browning Mountain rifle

Banned

It's made for elk!

Update on my JB Browning .50 cal.Browning was nice enough and made me a copy of the original manual for this. I asked about pressures for powder loads and was told that BPI did the development on this. Talked with them and was told the max load was 100gr of 2F with a .490 round ball.They had no pressure numbers.Looking at the Gun Digest book it shows the max loads of 120 gr with both 2F and Pyrodex RS with the .490 ball and .015 patch.That is quite a range. Any one have any experiences with these powders or others?

Boolit Grand Master

Whoa there Hoss... There is no reason to use such large charges. 75 grains of FFg will drive a ball clear through a bull buffalo and kill any deer in this country. I use about 70 grains of FFFg since that is what groups best in my rifle. Don't fall into the more is better trap as most of that was hype from braggers and boasters. A good max load for bear and such, tried and proven is 90 grains of FFg and a 490 ball and this kiled black bear just as good as a 300 win mag.

Banned

80 to 90 grains of gunpowder and a 0.490 ball has worked well in my 50 cal hunting rifles.

Perm-Banned
    except for the modern sights the thompson hawken is a copy of a michigan guns smiths rifle from the days of roundball. alot of michigan school gunsmiths made rifles in those days just like the thompson hawken. take the modern sights off and put old style on and you got your self a michigan rifle. it may not be a hawken, but well made and shoots very good.

Boolit Master
    some one posted an excellent link in this area on blackpowder pressures and velocities if you don't find it or someone doesn't post it when I get home I'll try and find it and post it for you
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Thanks for the info. I was not intending to shoot the max loads as I'm getting too old to take a bruising. I was just really curious as to what a max load might be.The manual from browning shows a range of 90/120 grain ff/fff black powder.I have been reading that the gun performs best with the 70-90 gr. ranges with .490 round balls and .015 lubed patches.So I will start just below the 70 gr and work up a bit.In my previous post I listed BPI as the developer for Browning. It was BPP ( black powder products).

Boolit Buddy

Sweet gun.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The maximum load a ML will "handle", is very seldom the most accurate.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtman45 View Post
    Update on my JB Browning .50 cal.Browning was nice enough and made me a copy of the original manual for this. I asked about pressures for powder loads and was told that BPI did the development on this. Talked with them and was told the max load was 100gr of 2F with a .490 round ball.They had no pressure numbers.Looking at the Gun Digest book it shows the max loads of 120 gr with both 2F and Pyrodex RS with the .490 ball and .015 patch.That is quite a range. Any one have any experiences with these powders or others?
    The Lyman muzzleloader and blackpowder handbooks have the data for various projectiles including PRBs in 50 cal. For 50 cal FF & FFF BP PRB loads, they show a range of charges from 40 gr to 120 gr. These sources include both velocity and pressure.

As has been posted, the law of diminishing returns kicks in with BP efficiency and soft lead roundballs. So even if the gun is capable of larger charges or even charges that approach the maximum listed, there is little point in it. Another thing about soft lead roundballs is that past a certain velocity of impact and depending on type of animal and location of impact and bullet track…. penetration can decrease with impact velocity increase.

I've found with the 50 and 54 cal PRB loads, a charge in the range of 50-80 grs FF blackpowder is a reasonable place to be. Usually an accurate load can be found in that range.

Boolit Bub
    When I did the Rendezvous thing,I had a Western Arms Santa Fe Hawken. Excellent rifle, but it used a .520 round ball. I hope the Browning doesn't replicate the original bore size like the Western/Uberti did. What a pain locating a mold.

Boolit Master

So what's current value of the brownings?? I have 2 and I haven't shot either in 10 years.

all I know is that I paid 400 + shipping for mine and it needed a mainspring.

Banned

They have a used one in Cabela's in Dundee and are asking $700 for it. Brass hardware. .50 cal.

Boolit Master

I have a .45 with brass mounts and a .50 with iron/silver mounts. I have other ML's but since the game dept screwed over the ML hunts in favor of bow hunters I really haven't shot anything except the Ruger OA pistol.

I mostly shoot BPCR now in Sharps or Hiwalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    I have a .45 with brass mounts and a .50 with iron/silver mounts. I have other ML's but since the game dept screwed over the ML hunts in favor of bow hunters I really haven't shot anything except the Ruger OA pistol.

I mostly shoot BPCR now in Sharps or Hiwalls.
    looks like to me that you may have a great down payment on a Shiloh or C Sharps with those rifles.

Boolit Master

I have to dig them out, but I think it's about time to clear some space!! A Shiloh or Hiwall??
    Last edited by Gussy; 02-09-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I realize that this thread is old, however I have some information that may be of interest to Browning Mountain Rifle owners.
    Back in the middle 1980s I was doing some research on my .50 caliber Browning Mountain Rifle. After talking with representatives from Browning, they put me in touch with a manufacturing facility located in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. The gentleman I spoke with advised that all the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifles were made in his facility, right there in Salt Lake City, and gave me a rundown of the various numbers of each type and caliber of rifle. Seems that the Browning rep gave me an un-listed number and the gentleman was interested in how I got the number. They were at that time involved in research and development in some futuristic arms for the US Military!!

Boolit Master
    we resurrect old threads around here all the time, welcome to the party. I remember hearing the same thing years ago.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast