Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new and trying to get some accuracy.

Boolit Bub

I'm new and trying to get some accuracy.

I'm using an AR platform but it is not gas operated -- it is manual as shown below in the picture.

I am trying to shoot economically so I am using light powder charges. I've gone through the .223 type brass using 6.0gr of Unique under the Lyman 225415 with a CCI 450 primer and it did ok at 50 yards. I have not tried dacron in any of my loads. I've done the same with the Bator 2 groove and Bator 3 Groove with about the same accuracy. I use Alox lube and all bullets are sized to .225 and gas checked. I've tried different twist rates from 1:7, 1:12 and 1:14 with, believe it are not, the 1:7 seems to get a little better accuracy. The 1:7 twist barrel is 20" long with chromed bore and chamber. I would really like to get the accuracy down to maybe an inch at 50 yards but the best I've gotten is 1.5" with 2.0" being more the norm. I am using a 3X9 power scope on the rifle -- not the one shown in the picture. I was wondering maybe I should drive the bullets a little faster but I'm new at this and also old and decrepit so I'm limited to going to the range once or twice a month and the 50 yard range is the limit to my walking. Is this the best I can expect or is there something else I can add?

In Remembrance

Where did you get the bolt upper? I've been looking but can't seem to find.
    Try a little faster speed. My Vangard likes them best at about 2200-2300. YMMV
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

Try that 1 in 12 twist again with a little more FPS.
    My AR with 1 in 12 shoots like this at 100 yards

It prefers the RCBS 22-055 over the your Lyman #
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

For those speeds I recommend a better lube. Try LBT Blue Soft, or homemade Felix Lube (recipe on this site).

Welcome to the list, and don't let being old slow you down. All of us or either old or trying to be.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    Where did you get the bolt upper? I've been looking but can't seem to find.
    Try a little faster speed. My Vangard likes them best at about 2200-2300. YMMV
    I had to make my setup. I think DPMS makes a special bolt/carrier and upper receiver that has the charging handle on the right hand side but it cost a really good bit. I call my setup a test mule since it's kinda ugly and only works manually. I believe the DPMS version is for guys that shoot in matches and want a faster way to clear the chamber if something isn't working right. I can switch barrels easy and I even have one barrel set up in 5.7X28 and it shoots little bug holes but I load the rounds just for this rifle and they probably would not work in the FN 5.7 pistol. These rounds are with copper jacketed bullets but I have tried cast boolits in this rifle using the same 5.7X28 brass but with not much success. It bothers me that the jacketed bullets shoot so freaky good and the cast boolits seem random. The 5.56 barrels with rounds loaded with Unique seemed to do well but not consistent. I could put two shots together and the next bunch would be off this way and that. I am not shooting with enough pressure to operate a gas system on an AR and I planned it this way to keep the use of powder down since some are hard to get here. I'll try increasing the velocity and pay closer attention to boolit weight and the COL. I've been trying a COL that fits the boolits into the throat or lead so the boolit is held stable. Wish I could use the 1:12 barrel again but it belongs to my SP1 upper and I don't really want to mess any more with that old collectible.

Banned

I'd sort the boolits as my first priority.
    0.1 grs is my weight variation.
    before I even attempt to check and lube I look each boolit over with a magnifying glass and toss anything I don't like, even if it looks good but feels funny it gets tossed.
    I weight sort after checking and lubing.

I haven't tried anything as fast as unique powder but have shot just about everything slower than 2400 and faster than 4064 with pretty good results.
    I also spend some time on brass prep, sorting cases into groups, trimming, etc.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I'd sort the boolits as my first priority.
    0.1 grs is my weight variation.
    before I even attempt to check and lube I look each boolit over with a magnifying glass and toss anything I don't like, even if it looks good but feels funny it gets tossed.
    I weight sort after checking and lubing.

I haven't tried anything as fast as unique powder but have shot just about everything slower than 2400 and faster than 4064 with pretty good results.
    I also spend some time on brass prep, sorting cases into groups, trimming, etc.
    I'll try sorting the boolits by weight and see how that does. The reason I went with Unique is I had some that won't work with much else that I have and I use light powder charges in the cases although I plan to go up some in steps with the powder to see if it helps the accuracy. these light charges leave a lot of room and with slower powders could cause a detonation but that is basically what Unique powder does when it's lit off. I use a small rifle magnum primer to be sure the all the powder gets lit. I hope to be able to get to the range in a few weeks so I'll get a chance to try the rounds with the new changes.

Banned

that's a good nuff reason to try it.
    I have thought about trying a fast powder at a bit slower speed just to make holes in paper at 50 yds or so.
    I'm thinking red-dot or 700-x, cause I have some.
    11 grs of 2400 has been a pretty good load [and easy for the wife to put together] but I have a limited supply of that and a whole lot more of the other two.

Boolit Grand Master

Just for grins and giggles try switching to a regular primer. Unique is easy to ignite so you won't have problems there. I'm wondering if that magnum primer is jiggling the boolit before the main charge hits it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

could easily be shoving it forward a bit.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Just for grins and giggles try switching to a regular primer. Unique is easy to ignite so you won't have problems there. I'm wondering if that magnum primer is jiggling the boolit before the main charge hits it.
    Darn, I didn't think about that happening but it's a possibility. I've got CCI BR-4 primers that I've been using in the accurate copper jacketed bullets -- I'll try them.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW and Sorta related; .223 in a solid breech 1-12 barrel. I have played around with cast bullets in my .223 Handi-Rifle. I don't have a .22 cal. mold so I purchased bullets from Beartooth, 45 gr. RN. With about 5.0 gr. WC 820 I got 1 1/2 groups, repeatedly, @ 50 yds. If you don't have WC820, my lot is 10% faster than H110, so you could use H110 and start low...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    FWIW and Sorta related; .223 in a solid breech 1-12 barrel. I have played around with cast bullets in my .223 Handi-Rifle. I don't have a .22 cal. mold so I purchased bullets from Beartooth, 45 gr. RN. With about 5.0 gr. WC 820 I got 1 1/2 groups, repeatedly, @ 50 yds. If you don't have WC820, my lot is 10% faster than H110, so you could use H110 and start low...
    I got some nice little 45gr cast boolits from (I believe) Montana Bullets that were presized to .224 and lubed. I'll try some of those bullets also plus I have H110. I just FL sized a bunch of .223 brass an put enough bell in the case mouth to be able to seat the gas checked base of the boolits easily. I need some batteries for my digital scale so I can weigh the boolits. By the way, Thanks for the information.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't shoot centerfire 22 but in my 25-20 I'm using pistol primers. Standard. I'm having no problem igniting either Unique or Herco in my 25-20 or my 32-20. Same primers.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I don't shoot centerfire 22 but in my 25-20 I'm using pistol primers. Standard. I'm having no problem igniting either Unique or Herco in my 25-20 or my 32-20. Same primers.
    It wasn't till it was mentioned here that the magnum primers might dislodge the bullets that I remember reading about guys having that problem. I don't have any pistol primers but I do have bench rest small rifle primers and that's what I'll be using -- CCI BR-4 primers. A very nice fellow has been supplying me with different cast boolits and I really appreciate the fellow's help. The boolits that I had some luck with when using .223 brass was the Lyman 225415 boolit and also two versions of the Bator boolit although I believe the longer three grease groove boolit was the better on the two but I'll re-try them both just to be sure. Cast boolits are slippery and I had one dislodge from the case just being stripped from the magazine and seated in the chamber. My AR rifle is manually operated but it still has the buffer and spring in the AR lower so the cartridges get seated with fair amount of force. Due to that one boolit being dislodged I now put a light crimp in the case neck.

Boolit Man
    My .223 target rifles get slightly higher velocities with Br-4 primers,compared to CCI-450's,this is with full powered jacketed loads.
    Mike.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    My .223 target rifles get slightly higher velocities with Br-4 primers,compared to CCI-450's,this is with full powered jacketed loads.
    Mike.
    Guess I have to back and buy some standard small rilfe primers. I was told that the BR-4's were just more consistent primers as compared to standard small rifle primers.

Boolit Master
    I have found my 223 to be a real challenge for reliable accuracy with cast boolits unlike my 22 Hornet or 222's but I am just looking for low velocity loads of about 1700 to 1900 fps. You may find the same but it is an enjoyable work in progress.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I have found my 223 to be a real challenge for reliable accuracy with cast boolits unlike my 22 Hornet or 222's but I am just looking for low velocity loads of about 1700 to 1900 fps. You may find the same but it is an enjoyable work in progress.
    Looks like you are trying to find the same thing I am. I have a savage bolt action in 222 and I did try a long time back but I had a problem getting the cast boolits to feed well out of the savage magazine. I wish I could figure a way to build a single round device to feed those 222's in that savage like the single round follower that fits in an AR magazine.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post

The Dope on H110 is no loads reduced other than starting loads which are -3% of max loads. I use AA9 as a substitute for WC820 data, NOT H110 or WW296.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast