Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

View Poll Results: Do you consider inlines a muzzleloader in the traditional sense

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 26.92%
  • No

64 49.23%
  • Who cares

31 23.85%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Inlines

Boolit Master

There are 61 no votes and 64 non-no votes.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Or 35 yes votes and 90 non-yes votes.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

In Remembrance
    Is there a state that has a primitive weapon season that allows scopes, or even inlines, just asking. There are actually some hunters here that uses a scoped inline during the rifle season, scopes are not allowed in the muzzloader season, and as far as I know we do not have a primitive season.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Is there a state that has a primitive weapon season that allows scopes, or even inlines, just asking. There are actually some hunters here that uses a scoped inline during the rifle season, scopes are not allowed in the muzzloader season, and as far as I know we do not have a primitive season.
    I am not on top of this years rule book yet but Louisiana and Mississippi allow single shot cartridge rifles with an exposed hammer that are 35 caliber or greater during primitive season, don't know if they allow scopes.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Bub
    Here is SC's definition of primitive weapons right out of the rule book:

For special primitive weapons seasons, primitive
    weapons include bow and arrow, crossbows
    and muzzleloading shotguns of twenty
    gauge or larger, and rifles of .36 caliber or
    larger with open or peep sights or scopes,
    which use black powder or a black powder
    substitute that does not contain nitrocellulose
    or nitro-glycerin components as the propellant
    charge. There are no restrictions on ignition
    systems including flintstone, percussion cap,
    shotgun primer, disk, or electronic. During
    primitive weapons season, no revolving rifles
    are permitted (50-11-310). Falconry Allowed

In Remembrance
    Our special Muzzleloader season , says any shoulder mounted firearm that is loaded from the muzzle, 45 cal or larger for big game, but no scopes.

So no real advantage. The advantage here lies in the areas that the special hunts are in.

I do not and do not plan to certify with a muzzloader, so any muzzie hunting I do will be during the regular season, and can use a scope if I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Or 35 yes votes and 90 non-yes votes.
    well....I'd say 61 no votes and 64 votes that the idea that any muzzleloader that is not considered more of a traditional weapon that modern guns is ridiculous. ��

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer303 View Post
    The very FIRST abbreviation in my post was IMHO. Which stands for IN MY HUMBLE OPINION! The rise modern inline popularity was created solely due to muzzleloading season. If muzzleloading season was done away with, you would see the Inline go away too. As soon as rifle season comes in MOST peoples Inline gets thrown in the corner and out comes the centerfire rifle. The WHOLE basis to this thread was asking everyones OPINION anyway. I never said I didn't like an inline. I just said I didn't think they should be allowed in a Muzzleloader / primitive weapon type season. A modern inline is ANYTHING but primitive. Again its just MY opinion which I AM entitled to.
    most sidelock shooters do the same. If you basing your averages on number of guns owned. Just because a handful on here and other forums choose to use them during rifle season does not say that they are more traditional.

The tradition is to harvest an animal. I'll do that anyway they allow me. I'm not in it for the sport or challenge. It's challenge enough living my life with crackerjacks in everyday life. The sport of hunting will be its demise. Then, who ever holds the most power will decide who gets to hunt. Rest assured, the sidelock only crowd is not going to be top of the chain.

In Remembrance
    I think it should be my way or the highway. All of you go back to slingshots, not no wrist rockets either, and no new fangled lead or steel balls either., were talking a forked stick, rubber band and rocks here folks. lol

Boolit Grand Master

Falconry is allowed? Where do I get a deer-fetching falcon! I want one!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think it asks if muzzleloaders are traditional weapons, it asks if inlines are traditional muzzleloaders. That's the way I read it.

Perm-Banned
    every one is for the same thing and argues from a different point. if i was an old greek, i would be sitting on the front porch and strokeing my beard.

Boolit Master
    Rather than having a Patch Box,a Digital Clock could be fitted to a Plastic Stock.Just joking but how far do you go before a muzzleloader becomes a parody of the traditional concept as far as the law allows for hunting.My own view is that I will stick to my traditional Muzzleloaders as modern designs have no appeal for me.I would say that if anything the modern inlines have the edge on primitives for efficiency otherwise why have one.

In Remembrance
    Why have one, because a scope would look terrible on my sidelock. lol

I think a lot of guys are getting them, because they can get in the game for 1/2 price compared to a sidelock too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I don't think it asks if muzzleloaders are traditional weapons, it asks if inlines are traditional muzzleloaders. That's the way I read it.
    I do not know if you can narrow it that much. If so, what is a traditional car? Traditional house? Traditional lawnmower? Traditional chainsaw?

Traditional encompasses too much to narrow something out specifically, while allowing many others to be included. Make sense?

You cannot take the advancement of history and stop it at a certain spot indefinitely for all people. Sure, it can be an opinion based argument, but it cannot be absolute. You can however, lump a large portion of similar things in as tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Rather than having a Patch Box,a Digital Clock could be fitted to a Plastic Stock.Just joking but how far do you go before a muzzleloader becomes a parody of the traditional concept as far as the law allows for hunting.My own view is that I will stick to my traditional Muzzleloaders as modern designs have no appeal for me.I would say that if anything the modern inlines have the edge on primitives for efficiency otherwise why have one.

So your saying that a sidelock/percussion does not have an edge over a matchlock, Wheelock, or flintlock? So, why does the percussion get lumped into the primitive and the inline get left out?

The scope can be argued, but only to a point. It was available for use on percussion rifles, but I agree with others that it takes away from the look. Projectiles are another argument, but that would mean that EVERY one would have to use the same kind in order for it to be considered primitive, I doubt there are many who use thin animal skin for patching their RB. But it was something that was done. So, as cotton patches are to leather, so is plastic sabot to cotton patches. Its just an advancement is all.

With all respect, efficiency is a moot point when it comes to arguing traditional things. There are many things that are traditional which have changed over the years, becoming more efficient, yet staying within what they truly are. Look at football, basketball, and baseball. They are still traditional games, but most of them have changed a lot of what is used and how its used. An inline is still a muzzleloader, it has stayed true to what it is, just changed in how it does what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    every one is for the same thing and argues from a different point. if i was an old greek, i would be sitting on the front porch and strokeing my beard.
    It keeps the mind young eh?

Banned

It's funny how everyone has argued that there is no advantage of a inline over a side lock. I for one believe there is but this is my opinion. I do think a lot of the appeal of the inline is the perceived ease of cleaning and the price. I never said they were not muzzleloaders nor did i ask. I asked should they be considered traditional. Which i was 90% basing the question off of the ignition system. If you think that a caplock has a huge advantage over a flint lock and wheel lock i once again don't agree. I have never had a cap fit snugly enough to keep the weather out. And if it does it takes 2 hammer falls to seat it and fire. ONCE again these are my opinion's and not stated for fact for anyone else.

Andy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Why have one, because a scope would look terrible on my sidelock. lol

I think a lot of guys are getting them, because they can get in the game for 1/2 price compared to a sidelock too.

I think this is a big reason myself. I also think people actually think there is a advantage over the traditionally designed ones. Only one i can see is ignition system.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I think this is a big reason myself. I also think people actually think there is a advantage over the traditionally designed ones. Only one i can see is ignition system.

Andy

Lol. Big lol. So your whole opinion is based on ignition system. Well, aside from the prettier look of the sidelocks, which I am in agreement for sure.

I do think there is an advantage of percussion over flintlock. Big one. Namely the fact that you can carry caps loose in your pocket, or a capper, or anything else. And a small pinch of the cap and I have NEVER had one come off. Flintlocks have to flip up the frizzen and put a measure of powder in the pan. Then, on top of that, they are MUCH more susceptible to moisture than percussion. A percussion gun you can dab some wax on and hunt for a while in the rain. Can't do that with a flintlock. Not that there are not ways around it also though. Its just a different critter, just like the inline is a different critter.

So, your opinion of the ignition system being superior from percussion to 209 is just about as dramatic a change from the flintlock to the percussion. So, why is the percussion held as much of a traditional rifle as the flintlock? Or would you say that the flintlock is more of a traditional ML? If that is so, then why couldn't you just say the inline is not as much of a traditional ML as the percussion? Why throw it out all together?

I get the opinion thing, and it should be treated as such for sure.