Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Do you consider inlines a muzzleloader in the traditional sense

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 26.92%
  • No

64 49.23%
  • Who cares

31 23.85%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Inlines

Banned

I never said you shouldn't use them. I in fact started with one but it didn't ring my bell. I don't care what you use honestly. I just have a problem with calling things what they are. i don't call a shooting bag a possibles bag or haversack. Just a quirk i have if it makes me weird, I take that as a compliment.

Andy

Boolit Master
    I voted no as I don't consider them traditional but then again I don't think the Ruger Old Army revolver is very traditional.I have no problem though with people using any legal firearm for hunting or recreation.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

I use and enjoy both but I don't consider inlines traditional.

In Remembrance

Many years ago, I purchased a Lindsay .58 caliber single shot (most were two-shot superimposed) musket, a true "inline" made in 1859. Lindsay was ahead of the curve with a 1 in 48 twist that delivered excellent accuracy with .577 diameter minie'-bullets. It had a center hammer and musket-cap sized nipple in the rear of the breech. Not a lot of difference between this "traditional" rifle and the CVA Wolf I bought for $89.95 from a online sports supplier. OK, there is a bit of a difference between a musket cap and #209 shotgun primers (mostly about $10 as RWS & CCI musket caps are hard to find and cost $14 per hundred at the last two reenactment I attended and Chedite shot-shell primers are $3.99 per hundred at the LGS) Muzzle loading rifles have one shot, reloading requires both time and some attention to detail and procedure. How is this different from traditional rifles? In the 1850s, many rifles shared the features we see in modern "inline" guns. My Daniel Wesson .45 target rifle has a 1 in 20 twist barrel and will shoot a 475 grain paper patched (sabot?) .457" boolit into 2" groups at 150 yards. This sure beats some pathetic .357 diameter 158 grain copper jacketed bullet out of a plastic sabot on most north American game.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I have never seen a modern inline that had any relationship to the spirit of the old originals.
    How about the T/C Scout?
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I tried an inline because it was cheap being on clearance. I bought it with nothing but hunting in mind. I didn't care for it so I stopped shooting it even though I still have it. I don't care for them but I figure to each his own.
    Aim small, miss small!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I was rather amazed, but this is the only image that came up for antique inline muzzleloaders.

http://www.peashooter85.com/post/417...-made-by-a-new

http://40.media.tumblr.com/3a2fec778...jpnyo2_500.png
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance
    Now that is a sweet inline.

Boolit Master

welcome to the future of primitive hunting:

Boolit Buddy
    i bought a nice stainless inline from a buddy that needed some money. had a nice scope and all. i thought i would use it to get to hunt an extra few weeks but i just didnt like it. it shot great though. i traded it to a guy for a hawken style .50.

Banned

I voted "Yes" because they ARE muzzleloaders but certainly bear no resemblance to any traditional rifles. There is nothing like the look, feel, or handling and balance of a well made flintlock and they can do wonderful things when wielded by an experienced user. I own over 20 traditional types, mostly percussion sidelocks but also 2 flinters and 2 underhammers. I recently got a CVA Wolf for free. Once I figured it out, I was able to shoot some good groups with it and TC Maxiballs, no sabots. It has a good trigger and my eyes liked the scope! I don't hate it and am not embarrassed to own it. My son will use it for the Mich. ML season if needed.

Boolit Master
    I voted who cares , lets go burn some powder

Boolit Master
    Makes no difference to me. Both are loaded at their muzzle.
    In this State scoping of B/P rifles is (not) allowed for hunting purposes. {no advantage or disadvantage for all B/P hunters having that State Restriction imposed.} Which brand or model of B/P rifle chosen by each hunting resident has more to do with personal choice thank Goodness. Those who feel this State has placed a unfair Restriction on them in regards to scope usage. Sorry I cannot sympathize. But will politely suggest their leaving this State to B/P hunt another that does accommodate their need.

If it loads from the front end you can use it here in muzzleloader season. I for one do not want to get caught up in who is more "correct". In line ignition is nothing new, and neither is black powder. Modern manufacturing does not take away the thrill for me.

In Remembrance
    The rules/laws vary from state to state. Here is no scopes, at one time Co was no scopes, no pellets, and I believe no sabots, but I could be wrong about the sabots. I think most states allow whatever during the general rifle season, except some have a minimum cal requirement.

Here we have to have a muzzleloader certificate (coarse required) in order to hunt the special muzzle loader hunts, but it is not required if using a muzzle loader in the general hunt, go figure. lol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Makes no difference to me. Both are loaded at their muzzle.
    In this State scoping of B/P rifles is (not) allowed for hunting purposes. {no advantage or disadvantage for all B/P hunters having that State Restriction imposed.} Which brand or model of B/P rifle chosen by each hunting resident has more to do with personal choice thank Goodness. Those who feel this State has placed a unfair Restriction on them in regards to scope usage. Sorry I cannot sympathize. But will politely suggest their leaving this State to B/P hunt another that does accommodate their need.
    And that is the great equallizer. Without the scope an inline has no advantage over a trad. style rifle. Both are limited to the iron sight shooting ability of the user. My screen name indicates my preference.

Boolit Buddy
    I voted no on the grounds that stainless steel, scoped and wrapped in plastic does not meet my own definition of "traditional". That said, I am actively looking for an inexpensive inline to test as a platform for heavy paper patched bullets.

Now ask me about primitive weapons seasons. When we had one here, I disliked seeing inlines in the woods as there is nothing primitive about them other than the loading. These days there is no longer a special season here for muzzleloaders and I feel it has leveled the playing field. I more often see traditional rifles in the woods as the people who were hoping on cashing in on an extended season have gone back to their modern center fires. The people hunting with traditional muzzle loading guns are hunting for the challenge and the historical feel of the experience.

Boolit Master
    Really pretty simple answering the OP/poll wording. Most modern inlines bear no resemblance to traditional MLs. Most regs and laws for set-aside ML seasons were originally enacted based on "traditional" muzzleloaders- that were generally primitive in nature. No more complicated than that.

Also in the spirit of what goes around comes around and what's good for the goose is good for the gander--- I'd vote that scoped, tricked-out crossbows, including pneumatic and BP or smokeless powder fired "crossbows", be allowed in archery only seasons across the board.

Additionally, true to the same "spirit", I'd vote that mechanical-hold-at-full-draw devices for compounds, recurves and long bows be allowed in archery only seasons across the board.

Matter of fact I'd vote that ANYTHING one wishes to call any hunting implement be allowed in whatever set aside season the user chooses.

All I've seen require loading from the muzzle, don't use cartridges, and are not as capable as a modern cf rifle. Extended range with better accuracy, what's not to like?

Is a traditional ml that was made last week really traditional? It wasn't made with traditional metals, tools, & process. I'd rather take a stainless in line out in rain sleet & snow than a "traditional" muzzleloader.

Met a guy on some public ground a few years back. He was using a long bow I was using a compound. As I walked back to the parking area with him I listened to him talk about traditional this & traditional that. I complimented his bow as it was a nice one. When we reached the parking lot he walked over to a car. I couldn't resist telling him his car didn't match up with all the tradition he preached about, I told him I figured he would have had a horse tied up where his car was, or that he walked there because that is more traditional. Traditionally I wouldn't care, but when folks try to force their tradition on me, I will speak up.

I like all weapons, but don't want to be forced to use what a few think I should.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    I voted no. Inlines are not traditional in the strict meaning of the word. But there are a lot of people that feel that my Hot Rods are an abomination and not traditional either.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast