RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Do you consider inlines a muzzleloader in the traditional sense

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 26.92%
  • No

64 49.23%
  • Who cares

31 23.85%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Inlines

Boolit Bub
    Why then is it you feel superior because you shoot a "traditional" gun?
    Feel superior shooting a sidelock? LOL that's funny, In no way do I feel superior, when a 149.00 inline will shoot circles around my 700.00 sidelock. I have NOTHING against an inline or any other firearm. If it goes BANG I like it. I started with an inline. A Traditions Buck Stalker in a Plastic Redi pack, had everything except the powder. It shot AWESOME right out of the pack. But along the way I wanted to go back and do it the way my forefathers did. With some of the equipment (well LIKE the equipment) they had. And shooting a sidelock with REAL black powder and a patched round ball is just TOO MUCH FUN to me. Its fun to figure out their personality and get them shooting as accurate as possible. Because in essence you are a hand loader right there at the shooting bench. My statements about not allowing the inlines in a primitive weapons season could be the same argument archery guys have against crossbows. Crossbows were illegal for a long time. I guess none of us really have an argument here. We could go on and on I guess. Heck even I would be shunned at some of these "traditional" shoots. Being that I load with a precut patch, etc, etc. Ok I'm gonna stop rambling.

Banned

I know understand where some of the confusion came from my original post. I meant to say traditional muzzleloading.

Andy

Boolit Master
    Stainless Steel,Plastic or Aluminium are not right for Traditional Muzzleloaders,since they where not available during the period.Original,Reproduction and Modern Muzzleloaders are 3 differing categories.I suppose those who issue Hunting licenses will have put them in one category for todays shooters.Over here (U K) we rarely see inlines so I cant comment on the efficiency of either.Today (sunday 9th Nov) I shot my Whitworth at 100 Yards and kept inside the black 6 inches.Thats good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Stainless Steel,Plastic or Aluminium are not right for Traditional Muzzleloaders,since they where not available during the period.Original,Reproduction and Modern Muzzleloaders are 3 differing categories.I suppose those who issue Hunting licenses will have put them in one category for todays shooters.Over here (U K) we rarely see inlines so I cant comment on the efficiency of either.Today (sunday 9th Nov) I shot my Whitworth at 100 Yards and kept inside the black 6 inches.Thats good enough for me.
    Funny. So the modern machines that make the "look alike" "traditional" guns are ok? What the gun is made of, and what it looks like, is fundamental - but how its made is not? Seems to me, that any firearms authenticity starts with how its made. I highly doubt that TC has guys who make their sidelocks the traditional way....opps....there is that word again....

Boolit Master
    I would say that the method of manufacture is fundamental and nothing to do with the finished article in either Traditional or Modern configuration.I have no problems with either choice of Rifle but will maintain they are two differing types.There is no doubt that either will bring home the Meat but historicaly they are apart.

So there is no traditional way to make a gun, only traditional way of what it's made of and how it's shot? Interesting.

Modern machines were not availbe back then, just like the materials you listed.

Banned

So maybe they should stop all modern made guns after 1900 from being used in the muzzleloader season. I am good with that. Your argument is just as far fetched. Maybe their should be no muzzleloader season after all they were originally the military rifle of their day right? I say do away with all extra seasons and just have one 3 days long so no one gets their feelings hurt. I mean after all shouldn't i be able to use my 30-06 during bow season it is limited to iron sights by me and i consider that primitive and traditional. After all my grand daddy hunted deer with his. See we can all be argumentative to argue and nit pick everything to death. I was trying to get some good conversation going on the subject of today's modern made replicas and the new inlines. The argument that there were inlines before are mute due to the fact they all had a exposed ignition system . IN MY OPINION ANYWAY. But I digress, thank all of you who took the conversation serious and didn't act like spoiled children.

Andy

Banned

The question never was about if inlines are muzzleloaders i am not saying they aren't? They are just not what i consider traditional. We are lucky here in Pa to have a flintlock only season aswell as a muzzleloader season. regs read:

Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Flintlock ignition, single-barrel
    long gun, 44 caliber or larger, or 50 caliber or larger handgun, using
    single- projectile ammunition. It is unlawful to use telescopic sights.
    Peep sights are permitted.

October Antlerless Muzzleloader Season: Any single-barrel muzzleloader
    long gun with flintlock, percussion or in-line ignition, 44 cal.
    or larger, or 50 cal. or larger handgun. Scope sights permitted.

Boolit Master
    Its all about not interfering with any ones choice of traditional or modern firearms.There are those who will adhere to guns that are in the spirit of the original Muzzleloaders and those who have a modern rifle that muzzleloads.On the subject of equipment to make them,there where some very sophisticated tools used as there where some primitive tools used to make some wonderfull guns.

I hope I am not being lumped into a childish perspective for asking very valid questions. I take this very serious because of the way I view it. But if my view point is not what yours is, does that make it childish?

the whole of the gun is what makes it what it is. How it is made, how it is handled, how it is shot, and how it looks. You cannot separate a gun apart from any of those things. Your original question was not "do inlines look like traditional muzzleloaders". If that had been the question, I would have voted no.

Banned

You can not have it both ways. My question is, is it just me or does anyone else not understand how these are considered TRADITIONAL muzzleloaders. I understand they have their purpose but I feel they are more of a modern rifle than a muzzleloader. I am not trying to offend anyone, your preference doesn't matter to me just the nomenclature does. NO WHERE did i mention muzzleloader season in that question. I was just referring to some thing i had heard at the range where a guy was explaining to his friends who were non shooters how his CVA wolf inline was a traditional muzzleloader because it loaded from the muzzle. I asked the question here without context for a reason i didn't want to influence anyone's reply. Instead it turned into a argument (which I regrettably commented on) the use of inlines for hunting.

In Remembrance
    Just today one of them there traditional inline muzzleloaders, brand new used to me, came in the mail. This one may not be a traditional muzzie though, cuz it doesn't have a ramrod, and it is only 32 cal.

Did they even make 32 calibers way back when Daniel Boon was toting one, cuz I got a side hammer one last week, exceptin it isn't traditional either, cuz the hammer is on the opposite side of my other one. I am about to think there just ain't no sech a thing as a traditional muzzle loader. lol

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I forget which forum it is, but I have heard of one that pretty much bans anybody that mentions an inline. lol I am glad this one at least let's us fuss about them. lol
    Where I want to join

Perm-Banned
    next we are going to talk about chevy verses fords. just shoot the guns and have fun. their are a lot of nice bucks out their this year, go get one.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789