Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatdaya mean "how do they shoot?". They're too pretty to shoot. These are my babies!

Boolit Buddy

Whatdaya mean "how do they shoot?". They're too pretty to shoot. These are my babies!

So here's the final product, cast, lubed, sized, relubed and dried. Lee 358-125-RF. Mostly pure lead with 2% tin by weight (I have no other alloy to choose from as yet). As most are with their first nice batch, I'm a proud papa. I figure they cost me, including time reading, time re-reading, and material, ( but ignoring cost of tools and fuel)....about $1.00 each LOL. Subtract my time because I love doing this and reading to learn, and they cost 1 cent each. The lead was 60 cents a pound locally.
    A shooting friend I spoke to today asked how they shot. As the title says, I questioned the very idea that these would be shot! I snapped a photo of my facial expression when he had the nerve to ask (see below). I and all the folks here who helped, worked too hard to create them. It seems .....disrespectful to shoot them and never see them again.
    Seriously thought folks. I've really enjoyed the journey. And I look forward to traveling the road many many more times. I can easily see how this is a hobby that feeds on itself. Already in the back of my mind I want a mold for a light .44 Magnum round, and will have to start searching for the style I want. I look at my box of ingots and think that I should really stock up on more. I look at the bullets I've cast and see dollar signs saved. I review my set up and think how I can do it better next time.
    Thanks again folks. Don

http://

http://

Super Moderator

Ha! Whadya mean shoot them and never see them again? Dig them out of the berm, melt em' down and do it all over again! Comment, now I know where the namesake comes from...your cranium looks to be about to bump the ceiling.

Nice photos! Load em up and send em downrange! They were born to fulfill that destiny.

Need more lead? How bout COWW ingots, send the Captain a PM, a Vendor Member here...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Buyer-s-Choice

Boolit Master
    How do those shoot in an average 38/357?. Pat

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    How do those shoot in an average 38/357?. Pat
    I'll answer that...they shoot great. I have shot many of them in all manner of 38/357 revolvers and they are lights-out in everything but a couple of 7.5" 357 Ruger Bisley's that I have.

Boolit Buddy
    WooHoo! Glad to hear of love for this particular bullet. And yeah. I'm 6 feet 5 inches tall and 290 pounds. Got used to hitting my head on hanging restaurant light, signs in stores and that sort of thing at age 17. I'm bald by choice right now. Shaved my head when I went through a really bad year in 2006 and never looked back (except to see if I missed a spot). Don.

Nah...shoot em. You can always make more babies! The real problem is gonna be making enough to stay ahead of all the shooting your going to be doing!!....They do look great though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Nice photos! Load em up and send em downrange! They were born to fulfill that destiny.

Need more lead? How bout COWW ingots, send the Captain a PM, a Vendor Member here...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Buyer-s-Choice
    I can give the Captain a plus 1 as well, she sends good lead.
    Them are good looking boolits, shoot um.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    You don't have to shoot them to never see them again.... find a dirt bank somewhere, they are all over the place! Mebbe ask somebody browsing the selections at the local gun store. Find out where a few of the locals shoot and then you can shoot em, dig em out of the bank and take em home to resmelt, recast and do over! And if you're lucky, the locals won't be casters and they'll let you take the rest of the lead you find as well. 'Just a thought. Good luck, and nice boolits!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I don't know about the rest of you.....but I think Don's pic needs to be a sticky!! I can say that.....in all my 5'8" 165lb. glory because he can't find me....er, uh...I hope he can't!

Seriously though....Don, I get it! I feel some sense of loss every time I send one downrange...even the J-worded ones. They're like children when you make them yourself!!!!!!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Too pretty to shoot? Take them hunting. A crumpling coyote is a thing too pretty not to see!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Well now slug has a good point there too..... I prefer to crumple deer, but will not let a coyote or pig walk past. Don't feel so bad about sending THOSE rounds downrange.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    My wife Miss Penny told me tonight in the kitchen where the slugs are finishing drying that they were beautiful. She and I share several hobbies. She loves shooting, wood working, and leather crafting. I enjoy those plus her primary hobbies of vintage sewing machines, quilting, and making costume jewelry. She insists I reload at the kitchen table where it's of course heated and cooled. Both of us believe the other has worked hard all their life and deserve to enjoy affordable pastimes and hobbies. We can't afford big trips, a fishing boat, camper, or things like that but boy we have fun together and she will be helping me send these slugs downrange ahead of light Trail Boss loads that won't trouble the arthritis we both have. Knowing Penny, she will try her hand at casting too soon. Fine by me! Thanks all. Don

Don, where do you live?? If in the South...we need to get together! I believe Miss Penny and Miss Jessica would make for pretty good pals!

I'm another fan of that boolit.
    Great in my 38's, 357's, 380's and 9mm's.

If you can, get a round from a log. A firewood block before its split (about 2' dia).
    Thats what I use for my pistol pit, 50yd and 100yd target backers.
    When its shot up, split the block and get all your boolits back for a remelt. I replace my blocks every year. The last one is ready for splitting this winter. Its about 30" dia and was origanally about 75lbs. It now weighs about 350lbs plus a coffee can full that I picked off the ground in front of it. Thats alotta boolits.
    When the front is too shot up to hold a target, I screw a piece of OSB on the front. That block had about 20 pieces screwed to it over 1 1/2 years.

Don, glad to see them Beauties! Well done!

Was supposed to actually fire up the pot since Saturday, but have been laid out on painkillers. really getting itching to break in my pots and mold! Though, my mold is a tad bit smaller than yours...it is the Lee Bator .225 mold
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Mine dropped big so I'm looking forward to trying them in several 35s,from 38 S&W to 358 Win.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallbald View Post
    My wife Miss Penny told me tonight in the kitchen where the slugs are finishing drying that they were beautiful. She and I share several hobbies. She loves shooting, wood working, and leather crafting. I enjoy those plus her primary hobbies of vintage sewing machines, quilting, and making costume jewelry. She insists I reload at the kitchen table where it's of course heated and cooled. Both of us believe the other has worked hard all their life and deserve to enjoy affordable pastimes and hobbies. We can't afford big trips, a fishing boat, camper, or things like that but boy we have fun together and she will be helping me send these slugs downrange ahead of light Trail Boss loads that won't trouble the arthritis we both have. Knowing Penny, she will try her hand at casting too soon. Fine by me! Thanks all. Don
    Hey Don,does Penny have a sister?. Pat

This is more pretty, because they were cast, loaded and shot by the shooter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8221ad95-f867-4453-bf29-dba7ad77bf36_zps582d7b3b.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	119959

In other words, GO OUT AND SHOOT THEM BOOLITS!

Boolit Buddy
    PAt303 my Miss Penny is one of a kind. I tell folks that I don't know what good I did in life that God would reward me with the opportunity to share Penny's life, but that each night I say thanks to him for doing so. Best things to all here! Don.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast