Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: First Lyman Mold

First Lyman Mold

So I picked up a single cav 452374 on fleabay few days ago and cast up a small pile the other night. Holy smokes is there a difference between lyman and lee! Actually Ideal, this is the old style from what I have read. Anyway, I have not found the sweet spot for continuous shiny boolits yet, so far I am content to make them frosty and crank them out. Also had the best reject-keeper ratio I've had yet! 7 rejects, 185 keepers. Very pleased with Ideal.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master

Ideal is Lyman's Dad IIRC.
    Good find
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

I would not trade any Ideal mold I have for any new Lyman mold. Don't get me wrong, the new Lyman molds are great, but they are not as good as the old Ideal ones. The mold you have is my favorite for the 45acp.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome to the dark side! Now you know why so many knowledgeable casters cherish and hold onto their classic Ideal moulds.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    That boolit is the exact profile of the original military hard ball projectile. It feeds in every gun I've ever tried it in, including Thompsons.

Boolit Master

Great looking boolits! Don't worry about the frosty finish, they'll shoot just fine. A good friend of mine who makes nose pour moulds for a living finds boolits frosted about like yours his goal for accurate boolits.

If they start getting too frosty though, you may notice some unfilled areas and a lighter than normal boolit.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Le Loup Solitaire
    Frosty bullets shoot just as well as non frosty ones. Some shooters do not like the look of frosty bullets; you can easily get rid of the frost by shining them with a wad of #0000 steel wool and its as simple as that. Lyman 452374 is supposed to duplicate the GI military ball bullet. It is a favorite of many 45 ACP shooters. It casts and lubes easily and feeds well. Your bullets look good and should shoot well. LLS

Thanks for the compliments fellas! I don't worry about frosting myself, but I may in steel wool across them after there loaded just because. I know this's design is a 45acp boolit but I'm going to se how they work in 45LC. I don't see why it shouldn't work.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master

I shoot a very similar design cast boolit in the 45 Colt with good results. I use a moderate crimp just past the start of the ojive of the boolit and that holds the boolit in the case from recoil quite well with my loads of about 850 fps. They shoot quite well at even extended ranges from a SAA replica.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I shoot a very similar design cast boolit in the 45 Colt with good results. I use a moderate crimp just past the start of the ojive of the boolit and that holds the boolit in the case from recoil quite well with my loads of about 850 fps. They shoot quite well at even extended ranges from a SAA replica.
    Awesome. Thanks for the encouragement!

Boolit Master

Compared to SWCs, that is a very easy bullet style to cast, I have a two cavity that I did a Cramer HP job to and it is extremely easy to cast good bullets with.

I just put the same mold in two cavity up for sale on the swap&sell page. $55 SHIPPED.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7