Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a poll: how to? for separate AR Form....

Boolit Master
    At least two. when I look for aR info I need to look at least 3 sub forums here. Nice if it was all in one spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by minmax View Post
    mdi,
    I went over to the perfect union. It's just another AR site just like all the rest. I saw nothing about casting or shooting lead. Thanks though.

Bruce Drake,
    at least I have one person on my side. This is the first and only site I have joined. I want to know about casting lead boolits and shooting for modern sporting rifles, which includes the AR and other factory semi-autos. If I did not. I could just simply buy j-words or buy lead bullets from some commercial outfit. Reload them and go shoot. Unfortunately, I have been bitten by the Mould and lead bug.

Boolit Master
    lot of people want to cast and shoot for the AR in all different calibers. It would be nice to have it's own forum and get it out of the CB Loads/ Military Rifles.
    Any Thoughts?
    It is a military rifle, isn't it? The AR has a huge following but it's still a military rifle platform being adapted to sporting use.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I know I am just a newbie at this site, but seems like a lot of people want to cast and shoot for the AR in all different calibers. It would be nice to have it's own forum and get it out of the CB Loads/ Military Rifles.
    Any Thoughts?
    I agree! Mine is a sporting rifle, not a military rifle. The only military rifles I own are an Arisaka 99 and a Mauser 98 because they were actually in the military. Everything else is a sporting rifle to me. If all that nonsense were true about pistol grips and telescoping stocks making a gun an assault weapon, then a track loader could be labeled as a battle tank because it travels on treads.

Moderator Emeritus

AR-15.com is not a user friendly forum. Plus there are several know it alls who will tell you it will not work, it will blow up your rifle, your rifle is a piece of junk anyway so go blow it up... not very friendly over there compared to here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Did I say that? Then don't read into it any more than what was written. I said we don't need an AR specific forum. If all you want to discuss is ARs there are other sites for that. If you want to discuss all semiauto rifles then I'm all ears.
    I never said you did say that, but you certainly inferred it, that is why I worded my response the way I did, it was a question. You are free to play all the word games you wish but I certainly will never advise anyone to go to any other site for cast boolit information, especially not semi-auto's, and most especially not the AR-15 platform.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have an opinion either yea or nay, because I control my mouse and what I look at, but out of curiosity I searched "cast in AR" http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...580j2891670j11 Seems like there's some folks discussing cast bullets in ARs already...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I'm one of those folks discussing cast in ARs in that thread.

Just think of this. You found several cast bullet threads spread across the entire forum. It would be easier for a member to go to a concise location and get the same information. More efficient that way. More helpful.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned

not gonna happen.

I have made about 50 posts on shooting cast in the Ar type rifles.
    I spelled out loads, alloy's, prep, and boolit styles to use.
    I have shown pictures.
    I have shown groups.
    nobody but the guy asking cared..

Moderator Emeritus
    This forum is about cast boolits, the more forums we have drifting away from that the more we loose this places special quality and focus.

We have enough forum and sub forums as it is, personally I'd like to see us reduce the number not increase it.

Much as we like to be a one stop shop forum that cater for all our shooting interests the focus has to be on cast boolits and bullet casting not on firearm types.

I am sure there must be other forums around that cater for those interests.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    There was much campaigning for the .22 rimfire section. It languishes in the dust, forlorn, and nearly forgotten, with one of the lowest post counts on the board. Arguably, there are far more .22 owners, than those with AR's here.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    There was much campaigning for the .22 rimfire section. It languishes in the dust, forlorn, and nearly forgotten, with one of the lowest post counts on the board. Arguably, there are far more .22 owners, than those with AR's here.
    How many people do we have that are loading cast in 22rf? I don't own a .22 but I do own 2 AR's and cast and load in both, in fact one of them has never seen jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    not gonna happen.

I have shown pictures.
    I have shown groups.
    This is just plain not true, there was interest shown and this subject comes up regularly.

Boolit Grand Master

No offense to anyone this morning, but it just sounds to me like some group demanding equal time, equal rights, just because they can. All I can say is if I want information, I have the largest library in the world right inside my keyboard. I don't think this forum can afford to cater to each and every "interest" remotely dealing with casting bullets for any firearm as there is already 49 sub-forums in use. I'm sure there would be quite a few interested in a Colt and Cast forum, or a Single Action Casting, or a Cast in My Ruger sub-forum.

But not to worry, I was in favor of a Coatings and Alternative sub-forum and there was enough support to start it. I'm sure if there is enough interest, a Cast for AR sub-forum may work out (don't forget to ask for a sub-sub-forum for AKs and SKS rifles, and the Berettas and HK battle rifles).

jes an old guy's thinkin'...
    Last edited by mdi; 10-24-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

moonie.
    there wasn't enough interest for anyone to pm me or to even really ask a question.

I wrote a 4 post dissertation on shooting cast at 2800 fps with accuracy on par with jacketed in the Ar rifles and got crickets.
    in fact there is a high velocity with accuracy thread running right now with about 4 participants and about 6 watchers.
    we can't garner any interest in the most complicated thing we do in our hobby [shrug]

Moderator Emeritus

I have been reading all the threads about shooting cast in an AR, I have a lee bator mold I have been using in my bolt gun in a reduced power load for small game and want to expand into AR ammo for cheap target practice.

not gonna happen.

I have shown pictures.
    I have shown groups.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Waksupi,

I have a feeling that casting for and reloading 22LR is even more of a niche environment than casters who focus on the old single-shot Schuetzen rifles...And perhaps it will recover when the stocks of ready for purchase 22LR returns to previous levels.

As a senior moderator, So where would you put a question from a forum member on a 220gr subsonic 300 Blackout failure to eject from a AR15 in a pistol configuration with a 9" barrel?

Its a Modern Sporting Rifle/Pistol based off an AR15 design but configured and registered as a pistol chambered in a caliber never used in the military..

It could be an issue of the gas port not being large enough, perhaps the gas tube is misaligned so not all the gas is being shot back enough to complete the cycle of fire, or perhaps it is his gas tube should not be the pistol-length pigtail that he decided to buy at his local LGS because he thought it would look cool on his rifle.

Or perhaps, he reloaded a new power in his 300BLK that doesn't have enough force to fully send the bolt back...

I'm just being the advocate for the sub-forum, but I'm also trying to see both sides on this potential new place for weapons newer than 1945 to be discussed

Bruce

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    No offense to anyone this morning, but it just sounds to me like some group demanding equal time, equal rights, just because they can. All I can say is if I want information, I have the largest library in the world right inside my keyboard. I don't think this forum can afford to cater to each and every "interest" remotely dealing with casting bullets for any firearm as there is already 49 sub-forums in use. I'm sure there would be quite a few interested in a Colt and Cast forum, or a Single Action Casting, or a Cast in My Ruger sub-forum.

But not to worry, I was in favor of a Coatings and Alternative sub-forum and there was enough support to start it. I'm sure if there is enough interest, a Cast for AR sub-forum may work out (don't forget to ask for a sub-sub-forum for AKs and SKS rifles, and the Berettas and HK battle rifles).

jes an old guy's thinkin'...
    MDI,

We are discussing the potential to create a sub-forum to discuss ARs and Modern Sporting Rifle. These are the civilian single-shot versions of the military rifles you are mentioning in your post. A Saiga in 223 is based off the AK but there are subtle but important differences in operation from the Russian AK-47. And there is already a forum for military battle rifles and we aren't advocating taking those threads over. We are discussing rifles that don't fall under the role of "Military" but are semi-automatic in nature and internally as well as externally different from military rifles. The subforum would not cover a Browning 1918 BAR but if a cast boolit shooter is trying to get his civilian BAR in 270 Remington to shoot with cast, than that would fall under the MSR aspect as you'd never be able to think the two types of BARs are the same system despite the same names...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I have been reading all the threads about shooting cast in an AR, I have a lee bator mold I have been using in my bolt gun in a reduced power load for small game and want to expand into AR ammo for cheap target practice.
    To use your AR in 223 with that 55gr Bator mold on squirrels, use 5gr of Unique. Velocity should be just about 1300fps. It will not fully operate your bolt in the AR but it makes for a dandy little singleshot straight-pull rifle for small game. I use gas checks despite the slow speed to help make the bases more consistent.

For a functional AR load for your 55gr AR, there are already threads in place on that. Here is one list of several threads developed in the past on this forum:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

Boolit Master

runfiverun,

I've seen that thread every day for a while in my new post listing but because it didn't have AR in the subject title or other subjects I'm interested in, I put it on the side burner with the other nearly 1000 post updates a day that this forum sees.

I'll make a point of visiting the thread in the morning to see what you've done as I also like the ability to shoot lead on par with jacketed loads.

Bruce
    moonie.
    there wasn't enough interest for anyone to pm me or to even really ask a question.

I wrote a 4 post dissertation on shooting cast at 2800 fps with accuracy on par with jacketed in the Ar rifles and got crickets.
    in fact there is a high velocity with accuracy thread running right now with about 4 participants and about 6 watchers.
    we can't garner any interest in the most complicated thing we do in our hobby [shrug]

Boolit Master

Dromia,

Cast boolits in an AR and other MSRs is the focus. Separately providing the Factory Rifle section allows the Remingtons and the Savage continue to be discussed while the subforum retains the questions of users of the newer modern semi-automatic rifles and allow them to solve their questions.

Our special quality and focus comes from our willingness to meet new casters to the forum and quide them through the learnings the science of casting for our firearms..

We are the premier cast bullet loading and shooting forum in the US. Many search websites send new people to our forum every day. I average seeing over a 1000 new posts a day on this forum. Not all of are from the stalwart old guard of posters but we are seeing a new influx of reloaders/casters here in the US. Both from the shortage of ammunition as well as the perception that one political party has a core principle of taking our 2nd Amendment, the number of new gunowners are expanding every day.
    With more shooters, the current shortage of supplies of the components will send shooters to our posts more and more every day. So why not cater to the new shooters who rushed out to buy a AR15 or a civilian variant AK47 and now want to learn about the skill of casting your own.

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    This forum is about cast boolits, the more forums we have drifting away from that the more we loose this places special quality and focus.

We have enough forum and sub forums as it is, personally I'd like to see us reduce the number not increase it.

Much as we like to be a one stop shop forum that cater for all our shooting interests the focus has to be on cast boolits and bullet casting not on firearm types.

I am sure there must be other forums around that cater for those interests.