Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Define acceptable leading

Define acceptable leading

I was at the range today with my Lil lady and we were testing the first lead loads for her bersa 380. It was the Lee 356-102 sized to 356 and lubed with FWFL. My alloy was 7# coww/4# pure/3oz pewter. The load was 3.6 unique and the velocity was in the neighborhood of 900 fps. It was fairly accurate at 10 yards. After 80 rounds there was a small sliver of lead that could be seen from the muzzle so we changed guns. I got home and disassembled the gun and could see what I would describe as a thin smear the entire length of the barrel. It was gone with 2 pulls of a bore snake. Thoughts? Can I do better?
    Your career doesn't define the man you are, what kinda Dad you are does!

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master

If a snake is getting it out, I'm guessing it's probably lube, not lead. I think you're OK
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    If a snake is getting it out, I'm guessing it's probably lube, not lead. I think you're OK

What it sounds like to me.

Boolit Master

My definition boho is zero. I generally put about 500 rounds a year through my 26 inch barreled Winchester in 38-55. These loads are just under 1800 fps with a long boolit: 285 grains.

I clean the bore once a year. It takes both sides of two dry patches and then it's clean. No leading at all. Same standard is applied to pistols.

Welcome to the site.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

What he said.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

I go as long as 3 years without cleaning my revolvers, no leading.
    However a little does no harm, the secret is that it does not stick and the next boolit will push it out. Good lube helps. Leading is a problem if it builds up.

Moderator Emeritus

Acceptable leading is that which does not effect the group size.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

It was gone with 2 pulls of a bore snake.
    Good accuracy? Keep shooting. I dont care what it looks like.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Acceptable leading is that which does not effect the group size.
    I couldn't have said it better myself .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

What are you using for lube?

If you are truly getting leading chances are your lube is not doing its job correctly.
    Or, you are pushing them too hard/fast in which case you might need a gas check.
    Or, your seeing lube not leading.

My first outing with my SKS and cast boolits I spent 4 days off and on getting the lead out.

Soak the bore good with hoppes, run dry patch's till it came clean, resoak the bore and walk away for 3-4 hours.
    Rinse and repeat.

THAT was unacceptable leading.

Fixed my lube, now the lead is out in 5 minutes, that is close enough for me.

It may help if you think about it that Leading is a symptom, and then think about what could cure it.

Boolit Master
    "Acceptable leading" is an oxymoron.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master

All I see in my bores these days is powder and lube residue. I consider that acceptable.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

With a properly fit and lubed boolit in a smooth(no tool marks) bore at a reasonable velocity, you should get no leading. I can shoot 4-5 hundred rounds through my 9mm or 38 and clean it with a single dry patch.
    Rough bores, poorly fit sizing, improper lubing, and too high velocity(plain base boolit) are your enemies.
    If any one of these things is wrong you will get some lead in the barrel. I much prefer not to have any to clean out after a session.

Ghosthawk I'm using FWFL I made myself. After reading all the responses I may just be seeing lube. I'm going to run a few patches thru it instead of the boresnake next time so I can see a sample. I don't think im pushing too hard. I'm going to size a couple boxes 357 and try those next.
    Your career doesn't define the man you are, what kinda Dad you are does!

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master

The Devil is always in the details. In most cases like my .38 and .357 mag barrels generally don't get any leading at all. Same with .45 ACP and .44 mag. Now the 9MM when pushed up into the 1200 fps + range with plain based bullets has never been lead free for me. The combination of high pressure and fast twist are the problem. I have always gotten light streak leading at HV in the 9MM. As long as it does not build up and I can maintain 2-2.5" 25 yd accuracy with a 9MM service pistol I'm happy. To me that is "acceptable leading".
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle