WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: !!!Read This First - Post Your Questions Here!!!

Cast Boolits Owner

!!!Read This First - Post Your Questions Here!!!

Use this area to find answers to the most commonly ask questions. Post your suggestions for commonly ask questions that should be listed here. The answered threads are locked but the link in those threads will take you to the original unlocked thread where you can find the answers and interact with others.

!!!! Any thread not started by the team who is managing this section of the forum will be moved to the Cast Boolits section !!!!
    Last edited by No_1; 11-07-2014 at 07:25 AM.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Thanks, this will be very helpful. How about the "cast in a 9mm" thread?

this one
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-in-a-new-9mm

hope I understood how you want o do this ??
    Last edited by rking22; 10-09-2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: add link

Cast Boolits Owner

This is the way to do it. What we are looking for are things in general, things that get ask over and over again like: Can I shoot lead in my glock?
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

How about a short summary of the topic?

Folks, please consider how terse you are with posts in the FAQ. Lead from batteries, very apropos, nasty mojo in the newer batteries.

How about - old times, batteries did not have much bad pixie dust, but modern manufacturing has used more bad stuff. Smelting down the plates of a new battery exposes you to x, y, z. Please go HERE for a full discussion of why new batteries are a bad source of lead.

Just a style suggestion. Give a condensed nugget of the topic, enough to give a succinct grasp of the topic, link to a knock-down, drag-out discussion for those wanting to know why... and let it go.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Grand Master
    That is what we are doing. Short, sweet, to the point responses. I am adding links also so people can follow the link and get more Info.

key is to keep it easy to find an answers, no need to search thru the weeds for the answer.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree that Bill's post on the 9mm be included as suggested in post #2 by rking22. We get a lot of questions on the 9 and that post answers most of them.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

"How do you store your molds?"

I know it's a broad answer. But this topic comes up at least once a month. All the threads have good options in them. A link to a few of them would make this one easy research.

Cast Boolits Owner

If you provide a suggestion, please provide a link. There is a team that will evaluate then create the new threads, providing links will help them.
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Grand Master

I have a few suggestions, some of which are backed up by threads I have written (if I may be so bold).
    Biggest lightbulb moment for me on this board was an answer to the question "what causes leading?" and was succinctly answered by Molly (GRHS) in this thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...nk-so-try-this
    The question of "how do you do a pound cast?" was asked so often I promised to post a tutorial and did so here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...o-a-pound-cast
    If the question arises "how do you load cast boolits in a rifle?" I have written a detailed tutorial on that:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-rifle-casters
    This thread is able to answer many questions and might be very helpful for a new caster, but I don't know how the satellite question should read:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...I-cast-bullets
    and in the same spirit, this one by the old Boss:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...asting-article
    Here's a nice article on quenching and age hardening boolits, and answers questions about "how do I make my boolits harder?"
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-amp-hardness

When all is said and done though, the entire new guy orientation could almost be comprised exclusively of links to the LASC at the bottom of the forum. All of the basics are covered in that awesome site (as well as good chunk of what is known about advanced boolitry), and I still get something every time I read there. For me, this is the last word from the voice of experience, and an inordinate amount of the information there is grounded in cold hard fact. If new guys were to take even a cursory glance through the pages linked below, they would be very well prepared to ask pertinent questions in our forum.
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    "Is this Linotype?"

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pe-or-Linotype

I see alot of posts inquiring about the "type" metals: Lino, Mono, Foundry etc.

Would it be useful to have a pictorial of the types?

MaryB's straightend me out before, (Thanks Mary)

Just a thought
    Bob

Thank you for your time and efforts, All of you! This FAQ is going to find its way into my sig lines on other forums.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

In Remembrance
    ... should be Frequently Asked Questions ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Moderator Emeritus

Another FAQ that I feel needs answering.

Why is everyone telling me I can't measure boolit diameter accurately with my dial caliper?

OR

Why is a 0-1" Micrometer the best tool to measure a boolit's diameter?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Another FAQ that I feel needs answering.

Why is everyone telling me I can't measure boolit diameter accurately with my dial caliper?....
    I can't?

Boolit Grand Master

Calipers are designed, engineered and built with an accuracy of +- .001", some are worse. If you get into high enough dollar instruments they will read to .0005". Read any of the mfg.'s claims on their calipers and most all say accurate to .001". Measuring bullet diameters normally requires better precision than calipers were ever designed for & you need a micrometer.

With trying to measure inside holes such as revolver throats calipers are even worse. Simply the wrong tool for the job. Calipers have flat surfaces that cannot measure round holes accurately.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Mechanical calipers easily provide relative measurements to +/-.0001". Now dont try measuring 5.6798, sure you will be off. Any measurement that is close to zero is a relative measurement if the user is savy enough to keep an accurate zero on their instrument. If you can measure your bullet driving band OD and then measure the OD of a plug you made of the lands right after, at the same temperature, at about the same force level and contact stress level, you can get +/-.0001. A micrometer torque setting attempts to control some of this, but a person with good hands can do the same or better. With your hands, you can feel if the surface begins to yield, but not with a micrometer torque setting. You can also feel if the surface is crunchy or has crud on it you didn't see.

My point is not to argue, but to say that there are mechanics as to why micrometers can provide accurate readings, and why calipers can be less accurate. Those same mechanics can and do mean that in certain common situations, calipers give the better number. For surfaces that have very limited and unstable strength or stiffness, and complicated geometry, I will grab the calipers every time. I also do the measurements under 10x stereoscopic magnification to be sure of the contact condition. The OD of a large polished hard shaft? Micrometers for sure. Heck, with judicious use, you can read down to 1e-5 inch using the same care as you would an accurate caliper reading. Check the nearest size clean gage block immediately before. And check the room temperature too. 20F will cause .0002 change in a one inch reading in steel. Lead has 3 to 5 times the change that steel has.
    Free to live, Free to die, Free to till the earth, And see the sky!

Boolit Bub

boar riding bullet mold

What is a boar riding boolit. Wayne h

Boolit Master
    That would be a boolit wut ride upon the back of a male swine.

On t'other hand, a bore rider is a boolit that has a front section that is just small enough to not be significantly engraved by the rifling, yet the rearward section large enough to fill the barrel tightly enough to shoot proper.

prs

Boolit Master

Of course, it is a mold that is sitting on the back of a hog!!

But a bore riding bullet mold is a bullet mold that produces bullets that have a nose that is at or slightly over bore diameter, and a base that is slightly over groove diameter.

In this way the front of the bullet will straightly guide it down the bore.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    One benefit is that it allows you to seat bullets well out of the case and the gc does not sit down in the case below the shoulder, as most of the bullet is seated well into the rifling.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast