MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingPBcastco
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: !!!Read This First - Post Your Questions Here!!!

Boolit Mold
    Just started casting & then reloading for my .45 acp using a RCBS mold (steel) I use a Lee Factory crimp die & noticed several of my powder coated bullets would not crimp tightly. Which caused all kinds of consternation because I thought I had my dies set perfectly. So I miked my bullets. Most were at .452 but the loose bullets several thousand smaller.
    So what am I doing wrong?I use range scrap. I keep them kinda on the soft side because I’m shooting rather anemic loads 3.8 grs. of Bullseye. Is my mold two cold or hot? I use a hot plate.
    Appreciate your help
    Bullthrower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Bullthrower Mine are all above .452 before i size, powder coat makes it almost .455 then sized through the lee sizer. the powder through bell die doesn't swage open very deep into the case so it should hold even a slightly smaller bullet but have not encountered that problem. then I crimp just enough to straighten the case and 'just' enough to fit the 4 barrels I use. Right at about .471-.472 at the edge of my cases, don't want too much crimp as to remotely slip past the inside chamber rim.. Temp on your melt might be an issue or mold temp but I haven't had that issue with straight clip on wheel weights, you might just add a few pounds if you an find some when you make ingots and try!

Boolit Bub
    Bullthrower also without seeing your molded pills it's hard to know if you have full fill out, my molds get very hot or need to be to get all details from any imperfections you have from mold's finish, sharp crisp edges, minor scratches or milling marks, etc.. Many say that a bit of tin helps with mold fillout.. My 45 is a 6cav NOE HTC 230-.452RFN brass mold, takes many cycles to get hot enough before I get keepers.. I have meplate and seating depth issues with this bullet design which was a problem for me...

Boolit Mold
    Had a hunch I might have to add a little linotype or tin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I worked in plastic molding injection for many years and mold temp is as important as it is in this hobby. but you will find it. Be careful seating pistol bullets too deep is all I can say, as the experts say it will increase pressures... It really kinda tics me off that there is such a lack if published Info on loading data for casted handloads as well as the COL with casted pills from mold makers.. I guess that is the way it is... Took me a while to accept that and now I have something that rocks and no FTF or KB's... Been much easier in the old days when there was no internet and you just go by what grandpa says...

OK...stupid question first: is this the right place to put questions about Lyman Mould block numbers?
    Next stupid question: I know that Lyman numbers their mold's by bullet dia." and approx. cast weight in grs., but what do the digits on the opposite side designate?
    "[I]Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a Subject to a Citizen." (Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC)

A thoughtful mind, when it sees a Nation's flag, sees not the flag only, but the Nation itself; and whatever may be its symbols, its insignia, he reads chiefly in the flag the Government, the principles, the truths, the history which belongs to the Nation that sets it forth.
    Henry Ward Beecher

"Poor planning, on your part, does not constitute an emergency, on my part..."

Ok no such thing here as a stupid question. Second probably would be better in Molds, maintenance & design but I saw your question and found this link that may answer your question about lyman mold numbers.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...bullet-designs.

Welcome aboard.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Traveler View Post
    OK...stupid question first: is this the right place to put questions about Lyman Mould block numbers?
    Next stupid question: I know that Lyman numbers their mold's by bullet dia." and approx. cast weight in grs., but what do the digits on the opposite side designate?
    welcome to cast boolits.
    Yes, the first 3 digits are boolit diameter.
    No, the next 2 or 3 digits are not weight, but are a design number.
    here is a great PDF reference tp Lyman mold numbers with images for reference.
    http://three-peaks.net/Lyman_and_Ideal_Bullet_Molds.pdf
    be sure to download it and save it, as it has disappeared in the past.
    the digits on the other side are mostly meaningless.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Why cant I reply to post in swap and sale

Boolit Master

Tikkat3
    You do NOT have enough posts
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Mold
    I started the post wtb .311 boolits
    i cant reply to anyone.

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Tikkat3 View Post
    I started the post wtb .311 boolits
    i cant reply to anyone.
    System glitch. No one should be able to post in S&S unless they have been a member for 30 days. You Sir have been a member for 2 days therefore you should not have been able to post in that section.

For clarification: 30 days / 30 on topic meaningful posts are required to sell. 30 days membership required to post in S&S. The system was not suppose to allow you to post.

Sorry about that.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

In the woods, where I cant see my neighbors
    Hello all. The WHAT: I am looking for a contact who can custom make brass.

I think I remember reading a post on this site (I think it was 2016?), mentioned a member named Dave who crafted him some highly specialized brass. It sounded like machined pieces of brass that had external specs of a .308, but had a long narrow primer channel through a thick casing base, which reduced the internal capacity of the brass. My understanding is that it aproximated 300 blk internal volume.

I need a 30-06 version. The WHY: I was gifted a 30-06 Encore Rifle Barrel. I want to shoot .30 cal subsonic, I already have 30-06 Dies, a choice of powders for a subsonic load, and an array of boolits. I'd rather burn the cash on some specialized brass, than go the chamber adapter route.

I don't want to buy a 300BLK setup. If I were looking to get a purely subsonic .30 barrel for my Encore, I would be looking at a .30 Reece/Hoskins or 300 Max Cat. I already have a 357 Maximum setup.

Speak your I M A G I N A T A I O N S................ please
    Last edited by SubPir8; 08-07-2022 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SubPir8 View Post

I think I remember reading a post on this site (I think it was 2016?), mentioned a member named Dave who crafted him some highly specialized brass. It sounded like machined pieces of brass that had external specs of a .308, but had a long narrow primer channel through a thick casing base, which reduced the internal capacity of the brass. My understanding is that it aproximated 300 blk internal volume.

I need a 30-06 version. The WHY: I was gifted a 30-06 Encore Rifle Barrel. I want to shoot .30 cal subsonic, I already have 30-06 Dies, a choice of powders for a subsonic load, and an array of boolits. I'd rather burn the cash on some specialized brass, than go the chamber adapter route.

I don't want to buy a 300BLK setup. If I were looking to get a purely subsonic .30 barrel for my Encore, I would be looking at a .30 Reece/Hoskins or 300 Max Cat. I already have a 357 Maximum setup.

You may want to repost this in the special project section. It may get more views there.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SubPir8 View Post

I don't recall who that was.
    BUT, I think using standard brass cases is easily doable for your application.
    That's my 2¢

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-subsonic-load

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Subsonic-loads

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-load-in-30-06

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Dot-in-a-30-06

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...or-100ft-kills

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...(very-accurate!)

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...d-for-303-Brit

there are lots more threads...it's a very common subject.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 08-07-2022 at 10:40 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub

How do I find out who is or contact the Moderator for a given forum?

Kevin

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213