Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Pay the Ransom!

Boolit Grand Master

Don't Pay the Ransom!

Gonna be out of pocket for awhile, finally moving my mom out of her apartment. She's been in a nursing home for over a year and it's time to "bust up the business" as her mom once said. It's amazing how much stuff that little woman stuffed into that little assisted living duplex and as some of you know it's rather agonizing trying to sort the treasures from the trash. Good thing I have a 40ft shipping container in the back yard, she's not ready to let go of most of her stuff so will have to sort it all again someday. Anybody need a piano? Electric adjustable full bed? Golf cart? It's going to be one heck of a garage sale!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Best of Luck!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Moderator Emeritus

Wish you were closer, golf cart I could use around town and charge via solar.

Boolit Buddy
    Golf cart? What kind and how many wheels
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master
    Good luck, and I understand about the stuff. The volume of possessions my grandparents had when we moved them made it hard to find the treasures amongst the everyday stuff.

Boolit Master
    lost my mother in law 2 weeks ago. we had to clean out her place by the end of the month. it was a little 2 room apartment on the 11th floor. 2 full loads in a 14' u-haul. and it did not look like it made a dent.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, we've been in this house 21 years! I feel sorry for the boys when they have to clean it out!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I had to move both of my parents out of their house in to a nursing home about 3 years ago. They lived in the same house for 58 years.The house was very large and had a full basement. They threw away nothing.
    There was no time for a yard sell. Most everything went to the dump or good will.This was a very hard thing to do.
    My mom passed a year ago and my dad passed last week........Terry

Moderator Emeritus

Best wishes.....as you go through your mom's things you will run across many things that will evoke memories....take the time to wander down that road and remember.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Paul. Enjoy the memories as you go through everything. I find the little things keep bringing me memories of my Mom.

Finding the treasure is the hard part. Had a party for Mom's 95th last week. She claims to be downsizing but we don't see it. Fortunately we've been able to archive the treasures and important papers where she doesn't mess with it much. Far as I'm concerned, keep the treasures and let the vultures with the rest. Fortunately she made scrap books for us in our single lives to pass down to our kids & G. kids.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Best wishes.....as you go through your mom's things you will run across many things that will evoke memories....take the time to wander down that road and remember.....Paul
    Yes, hundreds of memories last several days. Somewhat overwhelming at times. Many items from her parents and her sister. Sorted thru many thousands of items this past week but could only do a quick evaluation and pack away the good stuff. My mother wouldn't let us clean out her place still has hopes of living independantly someday and I won't take that away from her. She would probably disown me if she knew everything I was doing but it has to be done and it's pretty hard on this packrat as well. I've heard true genius generally skips a generation, I wish the packrat gene had skipped my generation, would make things easier for me and my sibs. We were up sorting stuff until 2A, movers were scheduled for 8A today. Things went well, only thing broken was a 65 yr old Ball canning jar.
    Ya'll have been busy, I have over 8,000 unread posts!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by possom813 View Post
    Golf cart? What kind and how many wheels
    It's a 48V Yamaha, 2007 model IIRC. Put new batteries in it this summer because Mom wouldn't keep them charged or use it. It's fun to use for driveby's on fireants but I have very little use for it. Has four regular, probably original, turf tires, back seat, a windshield and rearview mirrors. I'll advertise it for sale next week when I advertise the garage sale.

I understand the pac rat gene well. I'd hate to try and move again and i'm the only one there. Geez where does all this stuff come from? Hope everything goes smooth for you as you go through this. And yes you've got quite a bit of reading to catch up on and hunting season is here. I here all the hogs in Texas gained 50 pounds over the summer...Good hunting!

Boolit Buddy

my dad spent 6 weeks in a physical rehab facility and when he left the nurses asked my brother "Is he a hoarder? We've never seen anyone accumulate that much stuff in any amount of time, much less 6 weeks."

Boolit Grand Master

Mom is a bit of a hoarder but nothing crazy. I guess if I were looking for a label it would be "Post Depression Prepper". She was born on a farm in 35 and her family always kept plenty of food canned and stored even after they moved to town. She stocked the pantry after her latest move and barely touched any of it, much of it I tossed last week as it was getting old. Never understand why a woman living alone needed two fridges and a freezer even tho she seldom cooks. Can only say it's not for me to understand. Suffice it to say I'll be retired before I need to buy toilet paper, stamps or envelopes. Probably need to consider taking up crocheting if any of those many unfinished projects are to have a chance of seeing completion.

Boolit Buddy
    Where will you post the sale? Wife and I love garage saleing.

Boolit Grand Master

Denton Record Chronicle, garage sale ad starts 10/16. Please be sure to hunt me down so I can meet you and your bride.

Boolit Grand Master

WHEW! Mom's apartment is cleared out, cleaned up and keys will be turned over today. Had a pretty good idea what I was getting myself into but it was still a bit overwhelming. Many of you have been in my shoes, folks that haven't I hope you don't have to clean up after a packrat. It wasn't like the hoarding "reality" shows I hear about on TV but it was hundreds of pieces of memorabilia surrounded by a few years' worth of recycling that never made it to the recycling stage, if you know what I mean. Some stuff went into storage, other stuff is boxed up at the house awaiting disposition.
    I will soon have a third brand-new mould sitting on my workbench and a newly-acquired rifle languishing in my safe. All will probably have to wait until hunting season but I'm sure glad I'm done with that project!

Boolit Master
    Been there and done that. Your memories of your folks generally start after they've already accumulated 20 to 30 years of their own memories. Much of what we are doing is sorting our memories from their memories.

When I cleaned out my dad's garage and workshop I thought, wow, he had a lot of tools. Almost 20 years later, I crabwalk through my shop and see that I have accumulated 3 times the tools he left behind. Hope my sons can work together when they have to sort through the tools and whatnot I leave behind.

Hoarding? I can't throw a nut, bolt, rivet or screw away. I might need that some day.

Note to self; new measuring tapes for mom & kids' Xmas stockings for Christmas. Yep, more stuff.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast