MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic predator calls?

In Remembrance

Electronic predator calls?

I am in the market for one and only want to buy once. Who makes the best ones and built to last?

I never much cared for them to be honest..

Boolit Master
    I Googled mp3 predator calls and downloaded some. Got a $12 amp from Radio Shack a cheap mp3 player and a horn speaker.

Boolit Master

Varmint Al's is a good place to download some calls if you want to go the way bdicki mentioned. I have never done this but it should work.

wcp

In Remembrance
    Not really interested in rigging my own, wanting more of a compact turn key caller.

Boolit Man

I've used (an earlier version of) this one for about 5-6 years. http://www.gofoxpro.com/site/product...s/scorpion-x1b I've taken it on several pack-in hunts to have options to harass predators when the situation dictates, as well as carrying it in my day pack when scouting, and 2-3 dedicated predator hunts a year.

The good: Small, light, durable and reliable. Came with 100 calls, and has slots for 100 more. I've never felt the need to add any. I've had a lot of success with it, mostly Fox and coyote, and bobcat, but have had 1 mountain lion and 2 black bears come in.

The bad:
    The speaker is small, so it could be a little louder. It has the option for an external speaker, but I've never tried that.
    It's rough on batteries; it takes 8X AA rechargable or the high performance disposables (alkaline are an exercise in futility.) A day of driving around calling will probably have them down pretty low. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 5 hours of operation on quality rechargables, 8-9 on lithiums (very rough SWAG.) For extended trips, I either charge from the vehicle, or carry spares and use the GoalZero solar charger.
    Price.

In Remembrance
    Thanks for the info on the batteries. Below 0 weather here is very hard on batteries in anything, I have been wondering about that, as I have had batteries go dead in less than 30 minutes just running small led lights in cold enough weather.

Boolit Master

Today - I would probably have to say either Wildlife Technologies or Fox Pro.

I've used a few over the years - started with the Herter's and worked my way through a bunch. Back in the late 50's early 60's just about anything worked. That has changed somewhat.

I've never tried the Fox Pro, as I went with Wildlife Technologies, as they had the best sounds - today, I think Fox Pro is just as good - not better, but just as good.

Several years ago I upgraded to the MA21 and I like it. They have since upgraded the MA21 and it looks great and is probably a lot better on batteries. I use Sanyo eneloop XX batteries and they give a couple hours calling time in minus 20 degree weather. I think the new WT caller might give a little more.

The Fox Pro has a better looking controller but I doubt they have the same range as WT, as I get about 220 to 240 yards - line of sight. I doubt you'll need that much distance but if you do, the WT will deliver.

Price will be around $600.00 but I purchased from a guy located in Arizona and he sells just a little cheaper and has the unit dropped ship to you.

You will get over a 100 different calls, but I use maybe 6 or 8, such as the different rabbits, coyote pup, fawn, mouse etc.

In Remembrance
    good info I know fox pro is available locally, am not sure about WT.

Glad to hear about the cold weather battery life on those batteries.

Boolit Bub
    If you go with the fox pro, consider ordering from here.
    You get to pick your own sounds, not a generic offering.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/cate...-Calls/FOXPRO/

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I am in the market for one and only want to buy once. Who makes the best ones and built to last?
    I have had 3 FoxPro calls. I haven't needed to upgrade but I have ( I think the money was burning a hole in my pocket) but I have been completely satisfied with the calls and FoxPro customer service is absolutely first rate

I have a Minaska Ultimate One and it has been great. Fox pro makes good stuff. Mojo makes a good one as well.

Boolit Mold
    I have used FoxPro for coyotes and crows. They have several models from the basic to ones with more features. They are compact, easy to use, versatile and get the job done.

Boolit Master

I have the Wildlife Tech and am happy with it. It is quite a bit louder that a buddy's higher end fox pro. I rarely call with it at level 6 (highest) and usually call on level 4 or 5. If really windy I'll use 6, but try to avoid calling during that type of weather.

Brad

Perma-Banned
    Foxpro wildfire 2 with foxjack decoy attched via battery compartment, slick combo!!

Boolit Master

Check Cabelas after christmas sale. Foxpro hellfire. Get a lithium battery pack and use the carrige in the call for 8 AA rechargables and you should be gtg in cold weather. Getting ready to thin the pack here now after the first, end of year closure and taxes then play for awhile.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Primos Alpha Dog electronic caller
    really works well
    I had a Foxpro and could not read the screen
    that is not handy when you want to switch sounds
    I believe the Alpha Dog is the best I have had
    and I have had numerous different makes
    Minaska,Foxpro and home made
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

+1 Primos Alpha Dawg

Boolit Grand Master
    shame it no longer available
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Mold
    I have a very old FoxPro that is perfect for Crows. It does not have any remote features so whatever you are calling is going to get up close and personal. Used it once to call in Coyotes at night. Won't be doing that ever again as them sneaky buggers got behind us and were so close we could smell what they had for dinner. Didn't even get of a shot, but made some colorful commentary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast