WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How far can you a shoot a 357 Magnum revolver?

Boolit Master
    "I just don't equate Ruger and precision accuracy in the same phrase. At least I didn't in the past."

Well maybe you didn't mean the pretense but it could be taken that way. I don't know.
    It still is interesting. Although I don't know what it has to do with information that would pertain to the majority that owns "stock" Rugers.
    I am still interested in the results.
    Oh yes, why the muzzle brake since it isn't like you are fighting horrendous recoil?
    The 357 is really quite a pip squeak in the recoil department in that gun.

I have not tried a 357 mag. beyond 200yds but seeing the level of accuracy the Frankin Ruger is capable of, my opinion is that wind and optics will be your limiting factor not distance. You have to see it to hit it consistently.
    You have me wanting to go shoot long range again and I thank you for that. Good luck with your endeavor

The pretense I was referring to is that I would never try to say I used a stock/untouched handgun for this goal, like McGivern did.
    As I have said, I have not been using revolver's in the past much. I did take a antelope and a mule deer 3 years ago with a FA 83 in 454 Casull, but other than that it has been over 15 years since I have shot a revolver much. If you want to know my feelings and why, here they are.

Here we go...Rugers have never been one of my choices for accurate rifles.
    Accuracy is a debatable issue, and I accept that. Are they capable of Minute-of-whitetail? Most definitely.
    So are they accurate enough for the majority of hunters? YES!
    Besides hunting, I compete in several LR games and I hunt at distances some here will disapprove of.
    To date, I have never seen a Ruger rifle (talking rifles here now) be competitive in these contests or be commonly used in LR hunting.
    In pretty much all of my specialty pistols and rifles, I want the capability of 1/4 MOA or better @ 100 yards.
    Not talking about a one-time wallet group.
    Just because these are my expectations, doesn't mean they are right, but they are mine.
    One reason why I really don't like the Savage Striker is because of its terrible trigger. I have owned two, and each of them were sold relatively soon.
    I confess that I am a trigger and accuracy snob
    Good triggers and accuracy are precursors to being competitive at distance.
    The only thing I complained about when shooting the FR's was the trigger pull.
    I had to work harder to shoot good-I am spoiled with light triggers
    When Chris told me he was using the Ruger platform, my first questions was why a Ruger?
    He simply explained that the lock up was stronger in the Ruger.
    My response was, "Oh, Okay. I didn't know that." But it made sense why he was using the Ruger.

I don't really care what brand or model anyone uses to hunt or shoot with as long as they have fun and it makes them happy.

I was not a fan of Ruger revolvers in the past. After I left Bang's I was desperate to get one quickly.
    Actually bid on three GP's on Gunbroker, and won two of them-HA!

My goal was never to try a group at distance with a stock revolver of any brand.
    And the the goal I now have was never even in my mind until after several days with the FR's.
    Once I realized the accuracy I was getting with it, I started wondering about how far can a revolver shoot a group accurately?

There is a correlation between minimal gun movement/light recoil that is easier to manage in both the short range BR game (100, 200, and 300 yards) and in mid and LR BR (600 and 1000 yards). In the mid and LR matches the 6 Dasher (and similar off-shoots) are extremely popular.
    A good brake just makes the 357 even more of a puff-cake or you can just say I am recoil sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    "I just don't equate Ruger and precision accuracy in the same phrase. At least I didn't in the past."

Well maybe you didn't mean the pretense but it could be taken that way. I don't know.
    It still is interesting. Although I don't know what it has to do with information that would pertain to the majority that owns "stock" Rugers.
    I am still interested in the results.
    Oh yes, why the muzzle brake since it isn't like you are fighting horrendous recoil?
    The 357 is really quite a pip squeak in the recoil department in that gun.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Wind has always been the Achilles Heel of LR shooting
    It will drive you crazy sometimes. I am going to be waiting for good conditions when I try this.
    With a sloped picatinny base, Burris Signature Zee Rings, the Burris 2-7 LER with the BP reticle, and a elevation target knob (can be zeroed). I will have plenty of adjustment for 500 yards with this set-up.
    There is also a strong possibility of trying a rifle scope (another reason for a great muzzle brake).
    Once I get my FR, I will have someone take some measurements or video me shooting to see how far back the gun is coming to see if a rifle scope is a possibility. I use large magnification rifle scopes on my XP-100's and MOA Maximum's, but am unsure if I can be safe with one on a revolver.

Good luck on your renewed LR shooting goals!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
    I have not tried a 357 mag. beyond 200yds but seeing the level of accuracy the Frankin Ruger is capable of, my opinion is that wind and optics will be your limiting factor not distance. You have to see it to hit it consistently.
    You have me wanting to go shoot long range again and I thank you for that. Good luck with your endeavor
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Master
    Maybe someone with the access to the long range will be able to do a test with a stock revolver.
    Both would be interesting.

Boolit Buddy

I have access right behind the shop.

To keep it simple without a lot of explanation. The stock gun will hit that far out. But target size will need to be larger.

The trigger on a stock gun will kill your ability to squeeze thru consistently with the precision needed for distance.

The shorter barrel also reduces velocity.

There are obviously several advantages worked into the Franken ruger design for field shooting which also help with the distance goal.

In the muzzle brake thing.
    What happens after the hammer drops messes with your down range group just as much as what happens before the hammer drops.
    The muzzle brake helps with this. In fact a muzzle brake can make this simple.

cbrick, I'm not sure who you are arguing with? I went back and read my post again and saw no mention of, "None of that silly bumping up, obturating, squeezing back down stuff.", your words, not mine.

I did mention a snug fit, "
    In addition, with a heavy for caliber bullet if it doesn't fit the throats you won't be able to chamber the rounds." again your words. If they won't chamber, they do not fit.
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Boolit Buddy

You guys just quit arguing. There is nothing to argue about.
    There are no experts at what we trying to do.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pkie44 View Post
    cbrick, I'm not sure who you are arguing with? I went back and read my post again and saw no mention of, "None of that silly bumping up, obturating, squeezing back down stuff.", your words, not mine.

I did mention a snug fit, "
    In addition, with a heavy for caliber bullet if it doesn't fit the throats you won't be able to chamber the rounds." again your words. If they won't chamber, they do not fit.
    ?? I wasn't arguing with anyone. The only exception I've had with this thread is the calling cast bullets BS. You probably got confused with a post I made to another post that seems to have been deleted by the poster.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieBishop View Post
    Wind has always been the Achilles Heel of LR shooting
    It will drive you crazy sometimes. I am going to be waiting for good conditions when I try this.
    With a sloped picatinny base, Burris Signature Zee Rings, the Burris 2-7 LER with the BP reticle, and a elevation target knob (can be zeroed). I will have plenty of adjustment for 500 yards with this set-up.
    There is also a strong possibility of trying a rifle scope (another reason for a great muzzle brake).
    Once I get my FR, I will have someone take some measurements or video me shooting to see how far back the gun is coming to see if a rifle scope is a possibility. I use large magnification rifle scopes on my XP-100's and MOA Maximum's, but am unsure if I can be safe with one on a revolver.

Good luck on your renewed LR shooting goals!

Thanks you answered my next question before I even asked, whether you were using LER or rifle scope. I'm just making a WAG, but I think you'll be around 800 yes before you hit your wall, if you use a rifle scope. Just my uneducated opinion. Good luck, I'll be watching.

The 2-7 LER has 64 IPHY (close to 64 MOA total adjustment). Figure 32 MOA each way. Put in a 25 MOA slope or through the rings, and I get approx 57 MOA, plus the useable MOA in the reticle itself which is 10.5 MOA at the plex post tip if I remember correctly.
    So I will have a little more than 65 MOA between the reticle and the internal adjustments.
    IF I get both accuracy at 1500 fps, and IF the multiple BC from Sierra (170 grain Tournament Master) is correct that will take me to 600 yards with a 100 yard zero.
    If I wanted to have a 200 or 300 yard zero, I could easily add more MOA through the rings and be able to shoot further.
    The rifle scopes I am considering are several.
    One I have on hand is a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 (CDS turrets) with a 40mm obj. Has a total of 113 MOA. If I put a total of 50 MOA through both my pic rail and rings that gives over 110 MOA. Plus, I have 30 MOA in my reticle (Holland MOA ART reticle).
    140 MOA altogether.
    144.75 MOA for 1K. These drops are in no way confirmed, but it does give a ballpark idea.
    It is always fun to play at further distances or at least to have the capability to do so
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Master
    I guess I am just a dummy to a large extent. Here we have basically a single shot handgun guy now wanting a revolver made into a platform that really has very little to do with an easily pack able revolver now with the idea of putting a rifle scope on it with mounts that few if any would use on a revolver and seeking to satisfy a desire to answer a question on 357 Mag accuracy in a "revolver".
    One could probably mount a revolver on a 500 pound piece of I beam with a 5 pound 14 inch Match barrel after experimenting with several custom twist rates with a 36 power scope with a wind flag every 10'yards and produce even better accuracy.
    To each his own.
    I will not post anything else concerning this, but will keep tabs on the thread, to see the results whatever they really indicate, for whatever this launch platform really is, concerning what a 357 Mag revolver will actually do, for the majority of the shooters whomever they may be, that own stock 357 Mag revolvers.

Boolit Buddy

I guess I am just a dummy to a large extent. Here we have basically a single shot handgun guy now wanting a revolver made into a platform that really has very little to do with an easily pack able revolver now with the idea of putting a rifle scope on it with mounts that few if any would use on a revolver and seeking to satisfy a desire to answer a question on 357 Mag accuracy in a "revolver".
    One could probably mount a revolver on a 500 pound piece of I beam with a 5 pound 14 inch Match barrel after experimenting with several custom twist rates with a 36 power scope with a wind flag every 10'yards and produce even better accuracy.
    To each his own.
    I will not post anything else concerning this, but will keep tabs on the thread, to see the results whatever they really indicate, for whatever this launch platform really is, concerning what a 357 Mag revolver will actually do, for the majority of the shooters whomever they may be, that own stock 357 Mag revolvers.
    Why are you so hung up with it being a stock wheel gun?

no one is doing this to show you what your guns capable of.

The goal was to push to the max if the 357 magnum. Not the max of a factory gun.

It takes special optics to be able to hit that far out. Would I use a rifle scope....I dobt it but whatever works.

Special mounts. Heck yes. You need all the Moa you can get. We're not doing hold high and miss high ****.

I machine custom mounts for lots of specialty handguns and pistols. From 22lr being shot to 1/4 mile to crazy bottle neck hand cannons.

You have a desire to see what a factory gun will do. I have over 70 untouched minus trigger work factory wheel guns. Your welcome to try them on the range here and see what you can do. Then you can achieve your own goal.

"Not pack able". Your right. This longer one is not. Don't know about you but I don't need a holster when I'm hunting. I intend to use the gun. I'm not playing quick draw with deer.
    It will fit in one of the scoped tc holsters or scoped super red hawk holsters. The nylon ones that is.
    Or you could just stick it in your pack if you need both hands free. If you need both hands free you can't shoot anyways.

I doubt if you are dumb.
    Cool thing about a picatinny base is I can mount a reflex sight, dot sight, fixed or variable LER scope, or even a RIFLE SCOPE
    Kind of versatile in my book.
    I wouldn't have called my old 7.5 Field Grade FA 454 a "hip rig" for that matter with either a 2x or 4x Leupy on it.
    I won't have any trouble packing my FR around. I actually packed a XP and a FR with me at the same time in SC.
    My future FR will be in a Bianchi chest rig, in my hand or in my pack when hunting.
    Not the quick draw and shoot kind of hunter.
    If you want to carry around 505 pounds of steel on you to go hunting, that is fine with me, but I want pics!

There was never any intention of determining what a factory revolver can do at distance of any brand or model.

But you know what, if a guy that does not shoot revolvers much compared to a lot of folks here can shoot accurately from field positions with a customized Ruger (AKA - Franken-Ruger) at further distances, no telling what some of you guys could accomplish.

To each his own.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

The 4.5-14's ART Reticle.
    Functional for distance because the MOA is actually listed on the reticle (no need to count lines any more).
    Still not sure if I can safely use this though on the FR.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413228325.951714.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	119041

By all means dont under estimate the 357.

Friend of mine in Africa. 92meters. 4" wheel gun. 357 magnum. 180 fmj.

One of many animals.

Boolit Master
    Ernie, one note of caution if you use a rifle scope, make extra sure you have very close fitting safety glasses on. If you shoot a wheel gun enough, sooner or later you are going to catch a piece of something in the face from the barrel/cylinder gap, I don't care how tight that gap is. Using a rifle scope puts your face that much closer. You may be surprised at just how much blast comes from there too with your face closer.

Boolit Buddy

Ernie isn't pretty. A few scares won't hurt him.

Appreciate that. I wear either prescription shooting glasses if using a LER or regular shooting glasses if using a rifle scope.
    Hadn't thought of the blast itself, rather the scope coming my way-Eek!
    If it was a SP I would know what to expect.
    The Ruger will be lighter weight and with a lower pressure cartridge, the brake will not be as effective.
    Tentative or cautious is the word, when thinking riflescope. There is another variable which maxs at 10x, that I might be able to use that should give me around 6.25 eye relief at 10x. That one may not be a possibility, but more fudge room than the Leupold that I have on hand.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Grand Master

Here's a Burris LER 3X12 I use on the FA at 12X.

Name:	FA 357 9 inch Burris 3x12-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	119075

While looking for that picture I ran across this one and thought you might enjoy it.

Name:	6-5mmBRRemXp-100-99.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	119076

Custom built XP 6.5 BR. This shoots the hair off a gnat's hieny at 200 meters.

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 10-13-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member