Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: My 30/30 barrel (H&R) almost ready

Boolit Master

My 30/30 barrel (H&R) almost ready

Just about ready to start working with my 30/30 barrel, had a question. It's gonna have a scope but the rear sight was missing when I got it. I had this buckhorn looking thing in my parts drawer. Problem is, you gotta put it on backwards to get it to fit because of the contour of the barrel. I flipped the insert so even the white outline is visible. Reckon that'll work? Don't wanna be committing any firearm-fashion-fauxpaux.

Sure wish I could work wood better. The tip of the forearm was mangled and had three holes from Bubba's attempt to center a sling swivel so I chopped it off and glued a piece of bloodwood on it. Bedded the portion behind the barrel stud with JBweld and then free floated the portion forward of the stud.

Should work great - anything see that out in the woods & they are going to be confused & think the rifle is pointing away from them. Lead buck to the others, "come on boys, he's looking the other way" - (big mistake for them).
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Buddy

Might want to get one of those simple fold-down rear sights like on a 10-22. I think Lyman makes one also. The leaf would be directly over the dovetail lengthening your sight radius by a couple inches...if it matters to you.

The forestock is OK, better than I could come up with. Maybe you want to round the nose of it on a sander? H&R/NEFs are great in many ways....the appearance is changed easily by other stocks that are readily available. Change the barrel, change the stock...looks like a whole new gun. I guess it nearly is.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Boolit Master

I think it is too ugly for you to be seen with it.

Now just ship it to me and I will hide it for you!

That forearm looks good. Contrast with out too much difference, Looks like it was planned that way.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master
    Have to let us know how it shoots after your free floating / bedding job.

Forestock is fine, looks racey, fast.

The reading I've done all talked about washer/o-ring/neopreme on the screw holding it in place. With the rest of the forearm free floated front and back. I'm not sure if your headed for trouble, invented something new, or won't make enough difference for anyone to tell.

I do know that I am thinking hard about a second barrel in .357 mag that I can shoot .38 specials in. In theory I could use same mold sized down a touch for 9mm.

I've also be considering the .410/45 colt barrel. We'll see what happens down the road a piece.

Good luck with the dirty thirty!

Boolit Master

Sight backwards?

I wouldn't want to be standing behind you.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Dean: Your going to like the 30-30 Handi, mine shoots both the Lee C 309-150 F and theC309-180-R very well. I size and seat check in a Saeco .310 lube die and am very happy with the little rifle. GP

Well the sight does look "different" But if it works, it works! Only drawback I see if your walking through the brush and a branch snags it, bye bye elevator.

I second the motion on the flip down sight, I see them quite often at the local shows.

Nice rifle!!!